Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do while its out

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 12:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do while its out

I am currently rebuilding my engine and it would be a waste to not do anything to it while its out. I considered lq9 swap, but I would rather just build what I have. The engine has all mods listed. I know a set of heads would be a solid choice, but I dont know which would best. My budget is adjustable, but I would like to keep it affordable.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would give texas speed a call with your cam spec's and look at their PRC heads, good price and a nice compression/power bumb would be nice. Since you have the 98 you'll have to get your self a set of center bolt rocker covers. You can get those on ebay all day long for cheap.

Also on my list would be a tube K-member and polly motor mounts. The tube K-member will save you alot of weight in the front end and make future maintenance alot easier.

What are your plans for this rebuild ?
Old 08-28-2012, 12:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

If you are rebuilding the OEM block then first concentrate on the shortblock. Cam is good, keep it.
Shortblock:
1- Hone and machining
2- Bearings
3- Plugs
4- Rods and pistons

That is assuming block is reusable and crank turned and polished.

Now you'll need to make a decision on the heads. BTW you could port your stock heads and mill them for a bump in compression. Even those heads can yield a healthy 30+ rwhp once ported.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any suggestions for rods and pistons? Would it be a good idea to stroke I to a 383? Ive been looking at The prc heads (btw, my 241's are hand ported)
Old 08-28-2012, 02:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

So you have changed your heads to 241's ? The 383 wouldn't be a bad idea it just all depends on the size of you wallet, lol.

What are your goals for this moter when your done ? Are you planning on a complete rebuild for this motor ? Bearings, hone, pistons rods, lifters, timing chain, oil pump, ect, ect ?

Quick Reply: What do while its out