Sponsored by:

Opinions on a new longblock

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 04:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Opinions on a new longblock

Hello all,

I am beginning to think about saving up for a new longblock for my car. I am in the later part of doing a cam swap for my LS1 and it ended up costing me 3 times what I projected because every time I removed something or checked a system, there were tons of things that needed replacing or that were broken. If I would have known this going into it I would already have 25% of the longblock cost saved.

I have decided that I don't really want to sink anymore money into my LS1 since it is an iffy engine to start with as I am seeing all kinds of sign that a shade tree mechanic had his way with it over it's 10 year life before I got it. I've had it less than a year and have found more wrong than is right.

I know there are very distinct groups who all have opinions on what should be done and why. And that is why I am putting this question out to you all. I know the main the groups will be to stroke the LS1, Get an LS2 or Let an LS3. What I want to figure out is which would be better for me and get started on the planning. It will probably take me a year or 2 to save up for the longblock.

My main goal for this car is to make it streetable. It will rarely see the track, maybe once or twice a year. It will be a daily driver but I don't mind it misbehaving some. I want it to have a choppy lope on idle and make most of it's power on the low to mid band and pull hard in the lower band in order to school all the kids who think they have a fast car because they bought a 5.0 or an import out on the streets.

I am probably looking for 500 at the wheels as a standard, more would be welcome but I don't want to go overboard with it.

I currently have an A4 car. It has been enjoyable to drive but I am used to driving a stick. Should I leave it auto or make the conversion to M6 for the feeling factor of it. That would also determine my gear ratio for when I order my S60 rear

I have the full HPTuners Pro Suite and a wideband planning to do all the tuning myself.

All opinions are welcome. Thanks for reading it all.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

If you're looking at a year or 2 to save it's not even worth looking at yet IMO.

No telling what prices and options will be available by then especially since you don't even have a generation in mind.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
If you're looking at a year or 2 to save it's not even worth looking at yet IMO.

No telling what prices and options will be available by then especially since you don't even have a generation in mind.
Well both LS2 and LS3 are Gen IV motors so I would say that is a bit of a gen designation. I have not made a decision and that is why I am asking for opinions on which block to go with. I am open to all opinions wheter it be Gen III or Gen IV so long as a good argument is made. Telling me to wait is really of no help since I can wait and wait and wait... ad infinitum. There will always be new items. I am not putting out the money for an LS7 so it will either be LS2/LS3/Stroked LS1/whatever people give me good advice about.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much are u wanting to spend?
Old 08-29-2012, 05:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by backdraft408
How much are u wanting to spend?
I am not limiting myself to an amount because that leads to inferior parts and cheaper builds. So it will cost what it will cost. I just want to get the right setup for me and my needs.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:43 PM
On The Tree

Thatd really they best way to look at it. Would u rather go with iron or aluminum. Good choice with the s60 rear end.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by backdraft408
Thatd really they best way to look at it. Would u rather go with iron or aluminum. Good choice with the s60 rear end.
Well, that is part of what I want to determine with some opinions from folks. Initially it will be an NA motor. But I can not rule out that several years after I install it that I might want to toss on a supercharger. I will never be putting nitros shots into the build nor any turbos. Any boosting will be coming from an SC.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

I would think a 402 or 408 would give you what you want if your wanting to go stroked
Old 08-30-2012, 12:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Decadence75
Well, that is part of what I want to determine with some opinions from folks. Initially it will be an NA motor. But I can not rule out that several years after I install it that I might want to toss on a supercharger. I will never be putting nitros shots into the build nor any turbos. Any boosting will be coming from an SC.
I would pick N/A or S/C now. Gear the build towards one or the other, otherwise you will end up with compromises.

Quick Reply: Opinions on a new longblock