Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crank reluctor help

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 10:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank reluctor help

I have a 6L 01+ LQ4 and its been stripped down and is currently getting bored/machine work done to it. Engine had about 60K miles. The shop is well known but the guy said he hasn't dealt with changing a reluctor wheel yet.

I know there is a tool for 270$ but he doesn't want to pay for it and neither do I. Is there a method out there without this tool? I've tried searching.

I was told I should change the wheel every time the crank is taken out but I've also read it doesn't need to be. Is it worth the hassle? I've been careful moving the crank around, and tried to never put pressure on it. I'll take some pictures and get them posted so you can give me an opinion on it.

Is the gmppdirect reluctor $15 the same quality as the one summit or jeggs sells for 30$ both of which are out of stock and will delay me a couple weeks in getting one. If there is someone who has one in stock please pm me!

Thanks,

Kevin
Old 09-04-2012, 10:13 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leave the wheel alone unless you know its been bent or messed with.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:26 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No need to replace the wheel every time you pull the crank! Just verify the run-out on the wheel is to spec and let her run!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!

Quick Reply: Crank reluctor help