Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horsepower limit of the bottom end of a stock 02 LS1 engine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 08:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone mentioned the car craft article where they took a junkyard 5.3 and made 50+ pulls at ~1000 flywheel hp with a bunch of boost...I know it's an iron block compared to aluminum, but usually internals go before a block will fail whether it's iron or aluminum
Old 10-25-2013, 08:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

95one good pics man, never realized the significant difference between the later engines, I'm proud to have an l33 now knowing it has those boss rods in it
Old 10-25-2013, 07:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by wildcamaro
Has anyone mentioned the car craft article where they took a junkyard 5.3 and made 50+ pulls at ~1000 flywheel hp with a bunch of boost...I know it's an iron block compared to aluminum, but usually internals go before a block will fail whether it's iron or aluminum
Link is posted in #28 and #31
Old 12-26-2016, 10:33 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Zombie thread, back from the dead, yea i get it.....HOWEVER in all my searching for a LS swap for my 240, i decided for LS1 due to AL block (lighter) and larger displacement for the price (4.8 up to whater the hell they are now). I paid a bit more for the aluminum block 5.7 to get a good engine, i thought. After i just recently completed my twin turbo, stock bottom end, the tuner told me, "i love what your doing, but the 5.7 BLOCK is the issue here to limit your power. Dont be afraid of AL blocks, just specifically the LS1 block. LS6, 2, 3, even the 5.3 AL block are all good solid blocks. Its just that the LS1 era of engines tend to flex the block itself and cause the rods to decide to exit to the exterior in a manner most hastily. We'll take your LS1 to whatever you want, but after 500hp, you're on borrowed time."

I stumbled on this thread after all this, now I'm moving everything over to an iron 5.3 after an oiling issue seized 7 rod bearings, but didn't spin them on the dyno.

Wish someone had made THIS post prior to my swap so i could've saved a couple grand with the iron block over the ls1 block. If it's somewhere else, i must've missed it.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Holy garbage of a thread. Whew there are some dreamers in here.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:21 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by broken40s
Zombie thread, back from the dead, yea i get it.....HOWEVER in all my searching for a LS swap for my 240, i decided for LS1 due to AL block (lighter) and larger displacement for the price (4.8 up to whater the hell they are now). I paid a bit more for the aluminum block 5.7 to get a good engine, i thought. After i just recently completed my twin turbo, stock bottom end, the tuner told me, "i love what your doing, but the 5.7 BLOCK is the issue here to limit your power. Dont be afraid of AL blocks, just specifically the LS1 block. LS6, 2, 3, even the 5.3 AL block are all good solid blocks. Its just that the LS1 era of engines tend to flex the block itself and cause the rods to decide to exit to the exterior in a manner most hastily. We'll take your LS1 to whatever you want, but after 500hp, you're on borrowed time."

I stumbled on this thread after all this, now I'm moving everything over to an iron 5.3 after an oiling issue seized 7 rod bearings, but didn't spin them on the dyno.

Wish someone had made THIS post prior to my swap so i could've saved a couple grand with the iron block over the ls1 block. If it's somewhere else, i must've missed it.
With a quick search, you should be able to find 100+ cases of cylinder 7 cracking a sleeve on the LS1 block. The info has always been out there.

Quick Reply: Horsepower limit of the bottom end of a stock 02 LS1 engine?