Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange Misfires on New Engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 04:33 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Misfires on New Engine

Just got my rebuilt LS1 back in my car and so far it is running GREAT! Motor has good response and a tail load of getty-up. Anyway, while logging data with my HP tuners, the scanner is picking up Misfires on cylinders #4 and #7. What is odd, both cylinders wind up showing the exact same misfire counts at the same time. When detecting the misfires, the SES light flashes. Anyway, as far as I can tell, the engine doesn't hesitate or make any strange noises. I'm wandering if my crank sensor is on the fritz (Note, I haven't dialed in the VE mapping since my engine build) Can anyone shed some light on this situation?? Thanks in advance!!??
Old 09-08-2012, 04:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If this build includes an aftermarket cam then this is to be expected from time to time. Although tuning will help out a ton
Old 09-08-2012, 05:10 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the reply!. I used a GM performance stock Z06 cam with the rebuild. I'm sure it has been explained, and please forgive me, but it would help if I knew exactly how the PCM determined that a cylinder misfires. From my understanding, it looks for an RPM drop for no particular reason, determines where the motor is in the firing order (#1, #2, etc), then keeps track of the number of times it records a 'misfire'?? Is this correct? Can someone ellaborate a bit more? Thanks again!
Old 09-08-2012, 06:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Try the tune/diagnostics forum........
Old 09-08-2012, 08:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

One odd thing is 7 and 4 are in the same place on the trigger wheel.

Kurt
Old 09-08-2012, 10:24 AM
Staging Lane

Wow Kurt, I didn't think of that!! Although, I just reviewed my firing order and noticed they are furthest apart. I didn't take it a step further to note that the crank sensor would be looking at the same position relative to the crank for #4 and #7. I appreciate you pointing that out. I'm gonna check my local parts people and see if they have a crank sensor. Does the PCM look at the crank sensor for RPM or the camshaft sensor?? Thanks!
Old 09-08-2012, 07:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Crank does RPM.

Kurt
Old 09-08-2012, 07:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by prowan
Just got my rebuilt LS1 back in my car and so far it is running GREAT! Motor has good response and a tail load of getty-up. Anyway, while logging data with my HP tuners, the scanner is picking up Misfires on cylinders #4 and #7. What is odd, both cylinders wind up showing the exact same misfire counts at the same time. When detecting the misfires, the SES light flashes. Anyway, as far as I can tell, the engine doesn't hesitate or make any strange noises. I'm wandering if my crank sensor is on the fritz (Note, I haven't dialed in the VE mapping since my engine build) Can anyone shed some light on this situation?? Thanks in advance!!??
Did you perform a
Crankshaft Position Variation ReLearn
Old 09-08-2012, 08:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BaddBird
Did you perform a
Crankshaft Position Variation ReLearn
Hmm.. No I haven't performed that procedure, and I hate to admit it, but I haven't heard about how to do one. I will look it up right now. Can someone ellaborate??
Old 09-08-2012, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by prowan
Hmm.. No I haven't performed that procedure, and I hate to admit it, but I haven't heard about how to do one. I will look it up right now. Can someone ellaborate??
Not sure how you do it with HP Tuners but this is how you do it with a scan tool.
Crankshaft Position System Variation Learn
Important: While the learn procedure is in progress, release the throttle immediately when the engine starts to decelerate. The engine control is returned to the operator, and the engine will respond to throttle position after the learn procedure is complete.
1. Install the scan tool.
2. Apply the parking brake.
3. Block the drive wheels.
4. Close the hood.
5. Place the transmission in Park if the vehicle has an automatic transmission, or in Neutral if the vehicle has a manual transmission.
6. Idle the engine until the engine coolant temperature reaches HC (150°F).
7. Turn OFF all of the accessories.
8. Apply the brakes for the duration of the procedure.
Important: If the CKP System Variation Learn Procedure cannot be completed successfully, refer to additional diagnostic information.
9. Use the scan tool in order to enable the Crankshaft Position System Variation Learn Procedure.
10. Slowly raise the engine speed to 4,000 RPM.
11. Immediately release the throttle when the engine speed decreases.
12. Turn OFF the ignition for 15 seconds after the learn procedure is completed successfully.

Sorry for the cut and paste atleast its from gm and not google.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BaddBird
Not sure how you do it with HP Tuners but this is how you do it with a scan tool.
Crankshaft Position System Variation Learn
Important: While the learn procedure is in progress, release the throttle immediately when the engine starts to decelerate. The engine control is returned to the operator, and the engine will respond to throttle position after the learn procedure is complete.
1. Install the scan tool.
2. Apply the parking brake.
3. Block the drive wheels.
4. Close the hood.
5. Place the transmission in Park if the vehicle has an automatic transmission, or in Neutral if the vehicle has a manual transmission.
6. Idle the engine until the engine coolant temperature reaches HC (150°F).
7. Turn OFF all of the accessories.
8. Apply the brakes for the duration of the procedure.
Important: If the CKP System Variation Learn Procedure cannot be completed successfully, refer to additional diagnostic information.
9. Use the scan tool in order to enable the Crankshaft Position System Variation Learn Procedure.
10. Slowly raise the engine speed to 4,000 RPM.
11. Immediately release the throttle when the engine speed decreases.
12. Turn OFF the ignition for 15 seconds after the learn procedure is completed successfully.

Sorry for the cut and paste atleast its from gm and not google.
No problem! I really appreciate the help!! The more I read about this, the more I think this is my problem. I sure hope so. I will report back after I perform the Case Learn. Thanks again for everyone's assistance

Quick Reply: Strange Misfires on New Engine