Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 383 Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LS1 383 Build

My 2002 Camaro SS had catastrophic engine failure about a year ago. So while it's down I decided I was going to hotrod it a "little" since I had to fix it anyway. Settled on building a nasty daily driver that would be reliable with good street manners and not be "too crazy". Hoping to hit 400rwhp which would be awesome for a first build. I know there are a few stock components that are holding back the build but I'm not planning to try and run 11s, just have some fun . Currently in the middle of the build and would like to know what you guys think.

-- Engine LS1 383 Stroker 10.5:1 Compression
* Eagle Forged Stroker Crank & Rods
* Wiseco -3cc dished Pistons
* Comp Cams 228R Camshaft
* Yella Terra Roller Rockers 1.7 Ratio
* GM 241 Heads
* 42lb Bosch Green Giant Fuel Injectors
* LSXr 102mm Intake
* PTM 102mm Throttle Body
* Texas Speed 100mm MAF
* Fast Toys 104mm Airlid

-- Drivetrain
* Torque Converter with 2800-3000 stall (Still need to pick one)
* Built 4L60E Transmission
* Built up stock 3.23 Rearend (Replace in future)

-- Exhaust
* Stock Manifolds
* Stainless Works Y-Pipe w/ High-Flow Cats
* Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust

-- Suspension
UMI Suspesion Addons
* Road Race K-Member
* Upper A-Arms
* Lower A-Arms
* Front & Rear Swaybars
* Side Frame Connectors
* Torque Arm
* Rear Control Arms
* Panhard Bar

-- Shocks
* SLP Bilstein Shocks
Old 09-15-2012, 09:53 PM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

I would think that a 90mm TB and 85mm MAF would suffice just fine and save you some $$$.

With the $$$ saved you could add some 243 heads.

About the only way you won't make 400 at the wheels would be if you left stock exhaust manifolds on the car.

Ron
Old 09-15-2012, 09:58 PM
Launching!

I wouldn't go through all the trouble to completing that project with 241's or stock manifolds. Is there a rush to get it back on the road? I noticed you said it's been down for a year..I would wait just a little longer and swap those two things out. That's a lot of restriction for that stroker.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:07 PM

Reason for leaving the stock manifolds on the car is to avoid exhaust leaks that can appear with tube headers as well as keep the car in better standings with emissions (both concerns might be unfounded though). Using the 241s to save money, but will probably have them professionally ported & polished in the future or just have a nice aftermarket set. But I hear ya totally wanted some AFR's instead of the 241s but the wallet is tired of taking such a beating.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:23 PM
TECH Regular

i wouldnt use the stock manifolds...ls1's dont leak like SBC headers
Old 09-15-2012, 10:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

great looking build !I am doing a build some what close to what you are doing.you can find 243/799 heads for $400 or less.most headers don't leak,use the stock GM exhaust manifold gasket.you can use stock GM rockers on any head with PM guides.the 228r cam is a great DD cam,but with 37 more CI a bigger cam will work better .I think you will need a bigger fuel pump.pick a bigger converter ,they do lock up in 4th gear.check FIC for injector prices .springs ?
Old 09-16-2012, 06:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice list. Whats the reason for using the roller rockers? As others have mentioned, I would make it a priority to incorporate LT headers into the build plan. Depending on what state you're in, there are probably 1000's of others who have successfully done it in the past. Good luck, post pictures of the process!
Old 09-16-2012, 06:58 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with these guys,a few added parts on your list will be such a big improvement,you can buy a set of used longtubes cheap/or buy a set of tsp headers,stock manifolds wont flow worth a crap, as for the heads having them worked or just bumping up to a stock 243 will do wonders,i saw a set of 243 heads on cls the other day for 300 bucks, nice build but adding those 2 things is a must imo,than you will have no issues blowing past 400rwhp, good luck though
Old 09-16-2012, 09:27 AM
Launching!

You can get rid of your 241's for ~$150 and pick up some stock 243's for $400 all day long. I've actually only had issues with exhaust leaks with aftermarket shorty's...all of my LT applications have had zero issues. If you're on an extremely tight budget, check out BBK's LT/Ory set up, picked up mine from WS6store.com

BTW, I live in a fairly strict emissions area, but if you have a good tune, emissions is no issue as long as there's no visual inspection. In my county, I go get a safety done at one shop and emissions at the other so I don't have to worry about them lifting up the car, they just plug into the computer and go.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:05 AM
Turd Gen Guy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes.. please add 243 heads and longtubes..... if anything save the $$$ on the sroker build and do a stock ci ls1 build and use the extra money to buy longtubes and 243 heads..
Old 09-16-2012, 07:32 PM
Staging Lane

did anything have to be done to the block internals to fit a crank for the 383 build.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:53 PM
TECH Resident

For what you're after staying with a stock displacement motor by using a stock crank will save you ~$400 between the harder bearings needed and the crank itself. That will offset the cost for use LS6 heads. If you send your 241's to Advanced Induction for their "high compression" port job you'll only be out of pocket maybe $800-900 depending on spring options. That would outperform a 382 running stock unported heads byy a pretty wide margin and still be daily driveable.

Jason
Old 09-17-2012, 07:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

upgrade those heads!!
Old 09-17-2012, 07:58 AM
Banned

Id keep the stock crank and throw some forged pistons and rods at it, nice heads and obviously headers aswell. That setup Would yield WAY better results than that turd setup you plan on running. I paid $220shipped for pacesetters, i think anyone can afford that ****. **** if your on a major budget ebay LTs are like 180 shipped or something.

Do you have the fast 102? or are you planning on buying it? If you don't already own it, save your money buy an ls6 intake and buy heads. The power is in the heads not cubes. A stock cubed setup with efficient heads and cam will out perform your setup any day of the week.

Last edited by adamantium; 09-17-2012 at 08:04 AM.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would not waste $$$ on yella terra rockers. Stock rockers will work just fine. You might want to do the trunion upgrade from Comp Cams on them. LT's will not leak. A LS6 intake will work just fine for what you want to do. Use the money you save on the rockers and intake to buy some real heads. You will be happy with the results. My dailey driver LS1 is heads/cam all the bolt ons and uses a LS6 intake. It Makes 452/418. So making 400 rwhp is not going to be hard to do with a 383. You might want to rethink you cam choice. The larger engine will take a more agressive cam and still have good street manners. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your build.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:00 PM

Thanks for all the info guys. Good to know about LS1 headers having little to no leak issues. Also just like to point out this isn't a planning list, but parts that I've already bought and incorporated into the build. Probably not going to get 243's for the build but will seriously think about getting a ported set in the future or some nice AFR 215cc heads. Cam swap will probably happen as noted below, dependent on final performance. Pics will be posted soon.

@garygnu - Good to know about the cam. Was going to go with Texas Speed 233/239 but after talking with them decided to go with the 228R for a more tame cam. I'll def think about changing it out if the 228R is not what I'm looking for. FIC is where I got the injectors at less than 1/2 the price . Springs are PAC .600" single beehives. Still looking for torque converter.

@RezinTexas - Using roller rockers cause they are easier on the wear pattern and worth a couple of horses I've heard. Not going with LT's cuz I'm mostly concerned about 2000-4000 rpm range with this as it's going to be a DD with focus on mid-range torque and not high-end numbers. Ton's of pics coming soon.

@bdonn8484 - Yes a little machining work for the piston rods to clear the block, and a couple of spacers added for the windage tray. Also had to bend the oil pickup tube slightly. Got some good pictures of the modifications done.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by gcantu18

@RezinTexas - Using roller rockers cause they are easier on the wear pattern and worth a couple of horses I've heard. Not going with LT's cuz I'm mostly concerned about 2000-4000 rpm range with this as it's going to be a DD with focus on mid-range torque and not high-end numbers. Ton's of pics coming soon.
My DD has LT's. LT's make power over stock manifolds through out the WHOLE powerband. Where did you get the idea that it would lose mid range wth LTs? Pretty sure you also believe in the back pressure myth correct?

Id sell the yella terras and the 102/102 setup and start over. Did you do any researching before starting this build?
Old 09-17-2012, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by adamantium

My DD has LT's. LT's make power over stock manifolds through out the WHOLE powerband. Where did you get the idea that it would lose mid range wth LTs? Pretty sure you also believe in the back pressure myth correct?

Id sell the yella terras and the 102/102 setup and start over. Did you do any researching before starting this build?
Never said that LTs didn't make power throughout the WHOLE powerband and that I would lose mid range with LTs. I simply stated that I'm more focused on mid range power and less concerned with high end, so for my application I've accepted the performance of the stock manifolds as adequate, especially for a first-time build. But I am curious as to why I should sell the yella terras and the 102/102 setup and "start over". I'm interested it what you would do instead.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with everybody else. This is a very weird setup. The money spent on rockers, crank, and cam would have been much better spent on longtubes and ported heads, especially if you're that concerned about low-mid power. This just doesn't make sense.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:56 PM
Launching!

you can always port them 241's

Quick Reply: LS1 383 Build