Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

camshaft questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 08:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default camshaft questions

what is the lift of a stock cam? how big of a cam can i install and be safe with stock springs.and last around what lift would i have to worry about valve to piston contact.my car has a a4 and 125 shot wet system.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blackws6-02
what is the lift of a stock cam? how big of a cam can i install and be safe with stock springs.and last around what lift would i have to worry about valve to piston contact.my car has a a4 and 125 shot wet system.
do a search for the first question, it has been asked alot. i cant ever remember but its like 195/205. imo, you need better springs with any cam bigger than stock. my cam maxes out p/v clearance on stock heads, look in sig. you need a cam with a high lsa with nos.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well the stock spings are prety much maxed out. you will get to about .605 before you have PVC problems. But sense you dont want to change spings you are better off sticking with the stock cam. If you want a cam you have to get every thing that goes with it.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:41 AM
Launching!

you can get a spring and retainer kit from SDPC for 175$ just get that and their adj. timing chain =80$ and get your cam and you'll be set.

its a JOB to put the springs on, but its well worth it when you hear that thing start up. springs take about 2 hours to put on ( the first time you do it )

mike
Old 04-08-2004, 09:56 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The stock springs aren't worth keeping, even if you plan on keeping the stock camshaft! The factory springs are very light on the seat pressure. Anyone that is doing any kind of racing should at least swap out to the LS6 valve springs IMO. The '02+ LS6 valve springs are good up to .550" lift and are actually slightly cheaper than the '01 LS6 valve springs that are rated for .525" lift.

There's more to p-to-v clearance than just lift. The duration and aggressiveness of the ramp rates on the lobes play a large factor, too. We are currently running a cam package special for the month of April that includes a cam for just about every occasion. You can check out our specials here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-sales-specials/157759-texas-speed-camshaft-specials-under-600-w-titanium-retainers.html

Feel free to call us or e-mail me at trevor@texas-speed.com. I'm here to help with any questions that you may have.

Trevor
Texas Speed & Performance