Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally Getting H/C Need Some Help...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 01:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Finally Getting H/C Need Some Help...

So I'm getting some 243 heads, Tick Performance polluter cam 242/244 112 LSA, 7.425" push rods, & dual valve springs. My 01 Camaro has low 90k miles on it & runs strong. Rest of my mods are in my sig. I was wondering if anyone else could help me on what I will need to replace/get. I think I pretty much got the idea of what all I am needing to get but still undecided on certain parts/brands to get....

After the H/C install & all that I will eventually swap out my 3.89 gears & get 4.30s

Was going to go with these Racetronix 42 lb injectors
http://texas-speed.com/p-248-racetro...injectors.aspx

Some kind of LS2 timing chain??

Heard Melling oil pump is good or should I get something else?

Should I replace the rockers or will I be ok to wait a little bit?

Type of lifters?

Was probably going to get a SLP underdrive pulley while the engines apart
http://texas-speed.com/p-1919-slp-ha...ird-wbolt.aspx

http://texas-speed.com/p-222-gm-ls2l...ter-trays.aspx

http://www.tickperformance.com/slp-h...e-for-ls1-ls6/

http://texas-speed.com/p-309-gm-repl...7-lifters.aspx

http://texas-speed.com/p-223-gm-lsx-...ray-bolts.aspx

http://www.compperformancegroupstore...Category_Code=
https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-s...m-upgrade.html

http://www.tickperformance.com/gm-ls...-timing-chain/

Appreciate it

Last edited by DoggyB22; 02-18-2013 at 03:28 AM.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:07 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There are better cam's out there. Unless you spend all your time a 5k plus, look into something different.

I made that mistake with an ms4 cam. It ran great up top, but was a turd down low.

I made that mist
Old 09-18-2012, 02:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yea but I figured with the 4.30 gears that will help it out a bit? Plus I'm getting the H/C & all that for a pretty damn good deal so figured I would. If I end up not liking the cam I can always change it out for something else?
Old 09-18-2012, 02:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious on how you guys pass emissions out there?
Old 09-18-2012, 02:23 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

All valid points. I had 4.10's in my car and it was still a turd down low. You would be surprised how power under the curve makes a car more fun than everything up top.

Also, changing cam's is something that I would only want to do once.

I suggest a torquer v2 or similar. You will leave some up top, but the power down low will make for a wicked street car that will put a huge smile on your face.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00MaroonZ28
Just curious on how you guys pass emissions out there?
Lol oh that's a secret.... Bud there's ways Friends, registering in another state, etc etc

Originally Posted by bww3588
All valid points. I had 4.10's in my car and it was still a turd down low. You would be surprised how power under the curve makes a car more fun than everything up top.

Also, changing cam's is something that I would only want to do once.

I suggest a torquer v2 or similar. You will leave some up top, but the power down low will make for a wicked street car that will put a huge smile on your face.
Yea I looked into that... I guess were see haha. Heard some great numbers with this cam on spray & I'm looking to spray my car down the road so. One of the reasons why this cam kind of hit it off for me. I was originally going to go with a Trex but since my friend hooking me up with these heads & the cam came with it I just decided on getting it
Old 09-18-2012, 05:38 AM
TECH Addict

What heads are you going with? The polluter is a top end screamer! Keep the stock rockers and upgrade the trunions. Get a c5r or double roller timing chain. And ls7 lifters will be fine.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what trans do you have ?
Old 09-18-2012, 07:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

martin@TICK may chime n here, but i would go with a custom grind. That cam is LARGE, and bww3588 is correct. Under the curve is were its at. Just my .02
Old 09-18-2012, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I actually prefer more top end power.....wish I would have gone with a bigger cam, probably not that big but more along a Tsunami cam.

I went with LS7 lifters and LS2 lifter trays
Old 09-18-2012, 11:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I think I found an awesome middle ground with my current set up. Coming from stock heads and a 230/224 copy of the TR230, the low and mid range are greatly improved even though the cam is larger.

I do not wish I had gone bigger and I do not feel like I'm missing out on low end so I think it's a great street combo.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:01 PM
Launching!

Martin @ Tick is a good guy and very involved within the LS community, I had the same debate with cams (polluter or tv3). I went with the torquer because I heard it had a little bit more down low, but I'm also not planning on spraying. You won't go wrong with Tick or TSP.

Seems like you have everything covered for the most part but I would definitely go with some ls2 trays and just a simple ls2 style chain. If you go with the double roller, you will have to get a different oil pump I believe.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:09 PM
TECH Regular

Get a duluxe heads and cam gasket kit from tsp and trunion upgrade for your rockers. Ls7 lifters and ls2 trays. Ls2 timing set. People all have there prefered underdrive pulley but i really liked the asp for its lightweight. Slp is steel where asp is aluminum.

Last edited by reeperz28; 09-18-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:16 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im sure Martin@Tick could spec you a cam to fit your exact needs, but it depends how good of a deal you got for your setup, if its worth it to you to sell your Polluter and spend the difference on a custom spec. In my opinion that cam would be ridiculous with a set of 4.30-4.56's and you already have the rear in place to do it. If youre gonna switch it up, the Street Heat Stage 2 from Tick looks nice also
Old 09-18-2012, 12:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

I definitely would go with another cam choice. Why do you want 4.30's? Lots of dig racing cause other than that it's gonna run out of gear quick.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:24 PM
Staging Lane

It's all about the combination. Get the heads then get a custom cam made to optimize those heads. Do it right the first time. Spending a little more now can save more down the road.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the help guys!

Originally Posted by Camaroking1996
What heads are you going with? The polluter is a top end screamer! Keep the stock rockers and upgrade the trunions. Get a c5r or double roller timing chain. And ls7 lifters will be fine.
Just 243 heads until I can get enough cash for some fancy heads

Originally Posted by garygnu
what trans do you have ?
Stock... I'm going to plan on building that up next

Originally Posted by BrntWS6
I actually prefer more top end power.....wish I would have gone with a bigger cam, probably not that big but more along a Tsunami cam.

I went with LS7 lifters and LS2 lifter trays
Yea were see how it goes.. My buddy that's selling me these H/C had 243s & a Trex cam & it ran pretty damn strong

Originally Posted by arock24
Martin @ Tick is a good guy and very involved within the LS community, I had the same debate with cams (polluter or tv3). I went with the torquer because I heard it had a little bit more down low, but I'm also not planning on spraying. You won't go wrong with Tick or TSP.

Seems like you have everything covered for the most part but I would definitely go with some ls2 trays and just a simple ls2 style chain. If you go with the double roller, you will have to get a different oil pump I believe.
Alright thanks. & yea I think it will be pretty damn stout with 4.30s & spray from a dig

Originally Posted by reeperz28
Get a duluxe heads and cam gasket kit from tsp and trunion upgrade for your rockers. Ls7 lifters and ls2 trays. Ls2 timing set. People all have there prefered underdrive pulley but i really liked the asp for its lightweight. Slp is steel where asp is aluminum.
Yea I heard the ASP is lighter but also heard more people have slipping belts with ASP compared to SLP because its higher sides. So Id rather have that then having to put my belt back on....

Originally Posted by spicebird98
im sure Martin@Tick could spec you a cam to fit your exact needs, but it depends how good of a deal you got for your setup, if its worth it to you to sell your Polluter and spend the difference on a custom spec. In my opinion that cam would be ridiculous with a set of 4.30-4.56's and you already have the rear in place to do it. If youre gonna switch it up, the Street Heat Stage 2 from Tick looks nice also
Yea I mean I'm getting this package for about $600-$700 so? & plan on selling my wheels I got on & throwing Racestars on also hahaha I laugh because I've been talking about Racestars for about a year half now but I'm finally going to get it done! If anything I just might get some 15x10 Racestar Darkstars in the rear with M/T new ET Street Radial PRO & then have my stock snowflakes on the front until I can get skinnies.

Originally Posted by Detoxx03
I definitely would go with another cam choice. Why do you want 4.30's? Lots of dig racing cause other than that it's gonna run out of gear quick.
Digs > rolls
Old 09-19-2012, 07:44 AM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

No kidding...I've got 4.30's in my stock internal setup and absolutely love em. The change from 4.11 to 4.30 knocked .30 off my 1/8th mile time! (7.92 to 7.62).
Old 09-19-2012, 10:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DoggyB22
Yea I heard the ASP is lighter but also heard more people have slipping belts with ASP compared to SLP because its higher sides. So Id rather have that then having to put my belt back on....

Stay away from the ASP, there are more issues than slipping belts.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DoggyB22
Digs > rolls
Good luck keeping up with my baby cam/4.10 gear build from a dig. <3

EDIT: Motor vs. motor that is.

P.S. I have an ASP UD pulley and have no complaints.

Quick Reply: Finally Getting H/C Need Some Help...