Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing cover clearance...?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 04:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing cover clearance...?

So I'm one of many that bought the Melling 10296 along with a double roller timing chain. After lots of reading from mostly older posts on this subject many downgraded to either a single LS2 chain or went back to their stock pump, obviously because of all the grinding involved. My real question is does no one sell a cover with enough clearance in mind? Seems like it should have been done already.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the SLP double roller / oil pump. It's the pump that is slightly grinded on the driver side for cover clearence. Mock up your cover with the gasket and see if you have clearence.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I rubbed dark blue grease on the front of the pump, then slid the cover in place without gasket....pull cover back off and grind the spots off the cover where the grease stuck...after a few trys the cover laid perfectly against the front of the motor and then with the gasket added the cover is hapless away from the pump.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mark21742
I rubbed dark blue grease on the front of the pump, then slid the cover in place without gasket....pull cover back off and grind the spots off the cover where the grease stuck...after a few trys the cover laid perfectly against the front of the motor and then with the gasket added the cover is hapless away from the pump.
Ya this is what I'm doing, hopefully I won't have to destroy the front cover to make it fit. Got some low profile screws just in case also. Looks like it hits the front cover where the oil seal sits.. This will be a little tricky! Will come back with my results....!

Quick Reply: Timing cover clearance...?