Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Cam, Exhaust, Tuning?? New Times! (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 08:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Cam, Exhaust, Tuning?? New Times! (Long)

Ok, I don't know where this post belongs so if it needs moved so be it. I installed a G5X2 with long tube headers. I have not tuned it and had a muffler shop make a y-pipe with a cherry bomb in it. I took it to the track for the first time since the "upgrade". My best was a 13.8 @102 with a 2.2 60ft. My question is where do you think the problems are? I ran a best of 13.2 @ 107 with nothing more than a lid last year. Problem 1). The y-pipe is the biggest pile of **** I have ever seen but I just wanted it on so I could drive around without open headers. The y-pipe leaks at every weld and I thought there was clearence but at the track tonight when I tried to nail it out of the hole the cherry bomb sounded like it was trying to break through my floorboard. It was banging VERY hard, I could feel it. It also did this on the 1-2 shift and hit about 10x's very hard and rapid. I never heard it hit when I just drove around on the street. The y-pipe cost me $40 so I am not really worried about the quality it was temporary anyway. Could that banging cause false knock? It seems like it could, it was VERY hard and loud. Problem 2). No tuning whatsoever. I have no idea how rich I am, I am pretty sure it is rich though. Problem 3). I had a P0135 code. I know it has to do with the O2 sensor heater or something like that. Worst case scenario say the sensor is dead how much would that hurt performance. The code is only on 1 bank. I want to know your guess as to which is the biggest culprit or if you can think of anything else that would be great. I know I should be faster than that but don't know if those 3 problems seperate or combined would cause THAT poor of performance. I was so disappointed and embarresed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you want to know..First run was against a Talon TSi I lost 13.8, second was a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution I lost again 14.0, Third was against a Fox body I lost again 14.2, and last but not least was a Chevy 2500 HD Diesel Truck or something like that, I lost again 14.6, it was a 3/4 ton extended cab truck!!
Not a good night to say the least.
Thanks
Matt
Old 04-08-2004, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

get the o2 sensor fixed and a good tune.
Old 04-09-2004, 02:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow dude from your post it sounds like you already know you problems. I couldn't imagine driving that without a tune. Cherry bomb???? I think you pretty much negated your headers right there.

So

A real Y-pipe or maybe some true duals in front of the axle doesn't sound like noise bothers you too much.

Tune it and then check your O2 and see if it was fried. I just buy new O2's but it sounds like your on a budget.

My Cam is tuned with a custom tune from the predator I paid 340 for the unit and get free retuning. Car runs great. I plan on getting tuning software soon but 340 for a custom tune and a simple scanner is not a bad deal...

Good luck man when you get it running right you'll have a monster.

Hey I just had a thought my cam is a bit smaller than that and my power doesn't really "come on" until 5k if you don't have tuning your rev limiter is WAY under that cams power...

Bobby
Old 04-09-2004, 02:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

A cam that big and LT's with the crappy Y-pipe and OMG you put on a Cherry Bomb??...anyways.....with that and Zero tuning it's just amazing you made it down the track. Car needs SERIOUS Tuning to cure: you're knock sensor problem (you have to desensitize it some), get your shift points raised, line pressure, rev limiter to take advantage of the cam....get those things fixed with a GOOD Y-Pipe and Cat-back (Corsa, Borla, Ect.) get some real tires for ur 60's and you'll drop down to 11's I have no doubt.

Oh...do u have a converter? or is it stock? What gears? let us know those things...
Old 04-09-2004, 04:52 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the help guys. I know the cherry bomb thing is stupid but I had to get something on it with the little I had left after the install, I couldn't drive it anymore with open headers..it is my daily driver. It was SUPPOSED to be true duals within a week but that was a month ago. Anyway, say I fix the y-pipe and make sure the O2 is working or replace it, how much false knock would the cam itself cause? I am wanting to buy tuning software and trying to save for it, it will be a little while so I don't want to get a tune now and then wait even longer to save the money for the software. I am planning on getting an LS6 and Ported TB later and would have to pay to get it retuned again when they go on. Basically what I am asking is, if I fix all the other problems and still have Zero tuning will I be okay for awhile? The car is a M6 by the way.
Thanks again
Matt
Old 04-09-2004, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thats a loaded ?. if your running rich (which it sounds like you are) sure a little while. if your lean.... maybe a hour, day or year's before you kiss that little engine that could b-bye! take it for what its worth. im by far no expert but common sense can get you far. you get some big cahunas in my mind going right to the track but to each there own. good luck and keep us posted!

Quick Reply: Help with Cam, Exhaust, Tuning?? New Times! (Long)