Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serious Problem, need opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Serious Problem, need opinions please

Last weekend I wasn't getting any circulation of the water from the water pump. I have 4 hoses running from each of the steam outlets on the corners of the heads to a distribution block with another hose then running to an outlet on the radiator. So, I undid all 4 of the steam outlets and from the upper radiator hose I filled it up with water until it started coming out of the steam outlets. All kinds of air came out. I thought that was a good thing. I go to start the motor and it runs for about 10 minutes and the water is circulating just fine. Shut the car off and go to restart it and I think the starter went bad on me. But that is not the real problem. I took a breaker bar and started to turn the engine over manually by the crank hub. All of a sudden I hear a gurgeling coming out by the #6 or #8 cylinder. So I took the plug out of the #8 cylinder and again cranked it over manually. When it got to the compression stroke, something liquid shot out of the cylinder. I had my future son in law then turn it over and not as much but still a good amount shot out and I smelled it hoping for fuel, but I think it was water. This engine has studs on it not bolts, so I went to ARP and found the torque spec was 80 ft lb of torque. I took a torque wrench and found the bolts around #8 were at like 60 ft lb. So I torqued them to 80. I took out the #6 spark plug and there was the faintest amount of rust on the plug. I'm thinking the worst of course, can somebody tell me if the removal of the air pocket with the water and filling up the block could have had something to do with this or do I continue thinking the worst. Thanks
Old 10-02-2012, 06:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would do a leakdown on those cylinders, but of all the ways there are to get water in a cylinder , I don't know of any that are good.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a bad headgasket to me.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Removing the steam hoses has nothing to do with the water in the cylinder. Sounds like a head gasket. Like said before do a leak down. You can also try and remove the belt and run it for a few mins and see if you get any air bubbles in the radiator. If you do thats a sign of compression in your coolant system.

Quick Reply: Serious Problem, need opinions please