Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Refresh

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 02:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 Refresh

I just turned 140K on my LS1, mainly stock except a few minor bolt-ons, what would be involved in freshening up my motor? like what all should I buy/have done to it? How much is a typical rebuild cost?

I'm wondering because I want to start making my car a bit faster, Is this milage too high to start modding with things like heads/cam ?

would it be more cost effective to just build an LQ9?

Thanks in advance Guys
Old 10-03-2012, 06:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not sure you need to freshen up your engine at 140K. You could compression or leak down test the thing to see what the status is. Many LS engines are still in great shape at 140K, if they have been well cared for. I did a head/cam swap at about the same miles on the clock as yours. Compression was good on all cylinders before the tear down, and upon tear down, the short block looked great, the cross hatch pattern on the cylinder walls was good with no smooth spots whatsoever. The only significant wear I seen was on the valve train, but all of that was replaced when doing the head/cam swap. By doing the swap I got a fresh valve job, new valve seals and new springs, that significantly freshened up the engine, as the top end usually wears out before the bottom end on these engines. You can replace items like your lifters, timing set and oil pump as part of the process, which in essence also freshens up your engine. As long as your bearings, and you rings/cylinder bore are in ok shape, I'm comfortable with swapping heads and cam, intake, exhaust etc. Does you engine use any oil at all, mine didn't even use 1/2 a quart between oil changes, so that was a good sign.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No my engine doesn't use oil either, I'm just getting the ebe-geebies I guess with turning 140K. I know that when at the track if I do a good burnout...right when i let off the gas from a hard burnout, my car will almost die out, then like a second or two later, come right back to normal idle and run fine. But I can notice it getting in and out of the power a little while making a pass. Maybe it just needs a tune?

Here is the mod list on my car :
Lower control arms, Short Throw,Lid,Built 10-bolt with moser axels and 373's,315 nitto DR's,I just bought hooker long tubes which have not come in the mail yet, corsa cat back, II have new rear bilsteins(not installed) and LCA relocation brackets, Also not installed yet.

I can only manage a 8.8 @ 84 with a shitty 2.1 60ft. Seems like i should be able to do better than that consider im in FL and elev. is good. Maybe thats not a bad time considering it needs tuned, and I'm still on a stock clutch.

Quick Reply: LS1 Refresh