Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

step closer to H/C build being put together..

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 04:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile step closer to H/C build being put together..

some of you may remember my other post. had some different stock heads. went ahead and sold those...

so new set up. i have some 799 heads on their way tomorrow morning. i also have the thunder racing TRak cam. the heads are just bair with valves. i will be getting some PRC 675" spring kit to help cover that..

HERE ARE MY QUESTIONS..

what size push rods?

what size/kind gasket?

should i mill the heads? previous owner suggested .005 mill to clear up some surface scratches. (he did some smoothing on ports with porting tool) suggest it is possible to have 10cfm over stock.

oil pump, and all that other stuff i know what to get. im going to also get ls6 pcv conversion and ls6 coolant pipe thing thats needed.

i was also planning a ls6 intake

i have the TR TRak cam. 232/235 595' 644' 112lsa

thank you for all help. this is my first personal heads and cam build. want to put together a nice little package that can potentially hit 440rwhp....

Last edited by stangkiller2005; 10-18-2012 at 01:03 AM.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow two hand full of views but no help :/
Old 10-04-2012, 01:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Minus well get a Fast, I've read that milling the Heads you shouldn't go any lower than 62cc, unless you're flycutting.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ronny_02_WS6
Minus well get a Fast, I've read that milling the Heads you shouldn't go any lower than 62cc, unless you're flycutting.
I dont want to need to fly cut. I wouldn't mind bumping compression if possible. I would like a f.a.s.t but thats alot more expensive than getting an ls2 intake that has a 90mm openimg.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Call and ask Thunder Racing. They will know more than anyone else on their cam.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stangkiller2005
some of you may remember my other post. had some different stock heads. went ahead and sold those...

so new set up. i have some 799 heads on their way tomorrow morning. i also have the thunder racing TRak cam. the heads are just bair with valves. i will be getting some PRC 675" spring kit to help cover that..

HERE ARE MY QUESTIONS..

what size push rods?

what size/kind gasket?

should i mill the heads? previous owner suggested .005 mill to clear up some surface scratches. (he did some smoothing on ports with porting tool) suggest it is possible to have 10cfm over stock.

oil pump, and all that other stuff i know what to get. im going to also get ls6 pcv conversion and ls6 coolant pipe thing thats needed.

i was also planning a ls2 intake.. any objections?

thank you for all help. this is my first personal heads and cam build. want to put together a nice little package that can potentially hit 440rwhp....
Someone could correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't you just measure for PR length instead of taking a guess? That was my conclusion while doing research for my build.

As far as the LS2 intake, make sure it's ported or you get it ported. What TB will you be running with it? It does have the 4 bolt pattern...should have posted this sooner, I just sold a ported LS2 intake this week.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by anthony.fatica
Someone could correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't you just measure for PR length instead of taking a guess? That was my conclusion while doing research for my build.

As far as the LS2 intake, make sure it's ported or you get it ported. What TB will you be running with it? It does have the 4 bolt pattern...should have posted this sooner, I just sold a ported LS2 intake this week.
i was told summit has a four bolt tb 90mm that will work with ls1 wire style. i may be incorect, if i cannot make it work i will just get an ls6.. you mentioned porting the ls2 intake. are the ports on stock 799 heads bigger than ls2 intake ports?

i guess i should give thunder racing a call. that does sound like best bet for getting all correct messurements. im sure there has been many in my position. i just want to buy everything so that i can start on a friday and end on a sunday night. i dont want to need to take apart measure and wait. i know that is the best and correct way but im not so patient nor will work alow it. i need to do it all at once. when i had my 2000 ss i didnt measure. i just bought the ms3 and stock style hardened pushrods with stock heads.. however now that im doing another build different car. i do not know all the differences between stock casting ls1 heads and 243/799 casting heads. i just know they flow better.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a bunch of 4 bolt TB out there, I just wanted to make sure you were aware it was a different pattern. You can even find those pretty easy on the classifieds here...As far as porting the LS2 I don't know how it will match up with 799s but one of the things I was reading was how they're assemble and have kind of a rougher finish than usual so it needs to be ported for that extra potential.

As far as the PR, you could just throw some in there, but those are easy to switch out even once everything is done. I'm just the type that has learned to do things the right way to save headaches in the future. Who knows, you may end up lucky with needing the 7.4s but at least you checked.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by anthony.fatica
There's a bunch of 4 bolt TB out there, I just wanted to make sure you were aware it was a different pattern. You can even find those pretty easy on the classifieds here...As far as porting the LS2 I don't know how it will match up with 799s but one of the things I was reading was how they're assemble and have kind of a rougher finish than usual so it needs to be ported for that extra potential.

As far as the PR, you could just throw some in there, but those are easy to switch out even once everything is done. I'm just the type that has learned to do things the right way to save headaches in the future. Who knows, you may end up lucky with needing the 7.4s but at least you checked.
thats true. you are right... hopefully i can get by without measuring, but we shall see. im also wondering what type of gasket to get. cometic or the other stuff. still unsure if i should mill or just leave them alone. regardless they will be way better than my stock 98 heads. i tried multiple times and left messages at thunder racing and can never get an answer. i feel kinda like a dirt bag calling texas speed and asking for help with a thunder racing cam lol. also wondering if i should change out the valves since springs are off any way.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

any help on what headgasket to go with? should i try and bump compression with this cam or just leave it stock? And does upgrading from new stock valves have any benifit?
Old 10-08-2012, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bump for any help. Cant get through on.thunder racing phone or email
Old 10-10-2012, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bump for any hints tips or insights...

I still need to get correct pushrods im thinking stock size should be fine.

Would i benifit from upgrading.my already.new.stock.valves?

Would i benift from a mill on the.heads, and not need to fly cut.?

What size n type of head gasket? Stock or mls?

Last edited by stangkiller2005; 10-10-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wouldn't just guess what pushrod size you need order a pushrod checker for 10-20$ and make sure u don't have to do it twice. Nothing really to benefit to upgrade to newer valves unless you get bigger ones and have a port job to match for them id stay stock unless u want new valves for some reason. U could mill your heads for more compression but That could affect your PTV depending what size cam your running then you would have to measure, but if you just clean them up you should be alright.. Stock size gaskets should work the mls gaskets. Also just my opinion I'd go with a ls6 mani suitcase you can reuse your stock TB port it even and I think I read it outflows the ls2 manifold. U can get your ls6 retrofitted to fit a 90mm TB as well, just do a quick search bud

Last edited by ZDER; 10-10-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

ill agree with measuring pushrods. nothing funner than putting in pushrods someone reccomends...then pulling them back out and taking a hit on selling them...then waiting to get new ones the right length...

head gasket really depends on how much CR you want. talk to thunder racing...i would think stock thickness would be fine...itll still bump your compression up with the 799s..
Old 10-11-2012, 03:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by zacht
ill agree with measuring pushrods. nothing funner than putting in pushrods someone reccomends...then pulling them back out and taking a hit on selling them...then waiting to get new ones the right length...

head gasket really depends on how much CR you want. talk to thunder racing...i would think stock thickness would be fine...itll still bump your compression up with the 799s..
your right. i was just hoping someone had used the same cam since it is a shelf cam from thunder racing. i got a good deal on it. hopefully it is a good enough bump stick to help me get to 440rwhp range.

ive tried multiple times to get ahold of thunder racing with no luck neither through email, voice mail or direct phone.

so far i am thinking stock thickness mls gaskets since you mentioned 799s will bump my compression and either measure length of push rods or unless i find someone with same cam and heads. would it be the same push rod length with stock ls1 heads and my 799 heads?
Old 10-11-2012, 11:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Call Thunder Racing and ask for Shane. Tell him what you have and ask what you need. Shane is by far one of the best people I have ever dealt with.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Call Thunder Racing and ask for Shane. Tell him what you have and ask what you need. Shane is by far one of the best people I have ever dealt with.
I stated above how i cnt get ahold of anyone at thunder racing. Im very un satisfied wuth their service.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by stangkiller2005
I stated above how i cnt get ahold of anyone at thunder racing. Im very un satisfied wuth their service.

I'm sorry I missed that part. There were a few times it took several days to get a hold of them.

After talking to Shane I understand why its so hard to get a hold of someone because he spends so much time with a customer. I was frustrated a few times too but there was no rush on my build so it wasn't a big deal.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

It's late and I will throw a few things out there. If its been already stated before I apologize.

Push rods should be the very last thing you do. Varying factors like the cam's base circle, deck height, head gasket thickness, how much the heads have been milled, all play into push rod length. Guessing it just a bad idea when you start changing so many parts. If it was a bone stock engine running a 224 cam it would be a different story.

Things like; how much you should have the heads milled/resurfaced, how much compression, which head gaskets will greatly depend on your current PTV clearance.

After you know that number you will know how much you can/can't take off the cylinder head and what gasket you can run.

For head gaskets you want to have the best quench you can. Around .040 is suppose to be optimal. With a tighter quench you can run more compression because the burn is better controlled and it won't be prone to detonation. Anything tighter than that is risky. Yeah you will see some people say they run it closer but IMO its not worth it. A lot of people, including myself, run the stock GM MLS gasket which is .051. They are cheap and they seal good. To get to a .040-.045 you are needing Cometic's which are way more expensive than the stock stuff.

Hope this helps a little. It's late and I need to be up in the morning to go work on stuff.

J
Old 10-12-2012, 02:17 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A .051 gasket will net you .044 quench with stock deck height. Stick with that unless you want to fly cut with that cam. Measure for pushrods, no way around it. And use the ls6 intake.

Quick Reply: step closer to H/C build being put together..