Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help on cam choice with my current bolt ons? I am lost

Old 04-09-2004, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help on cam choice with my current bolt ons? I am lost

HI, I was looking into getting a cam, but I have no idea about any of this, I don't do the work I just buy the stuff and have someone put it on, but really have no clue even what to get in this area and would like ideas from people who have done this, I guess I need something street legal and something that would have more power to my car in the midrange area? I have a 2000 Z28 automatic, with 3.73 gears, headers, y-pipe, Magnaflow exhaust, and all the other intake bolt ons, and I would like to do a complete kit if possible, with everything needed so there is no weak part left in there, thanks for your time.

Lance
Old 04-09-2004, 12:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're looking at streetable in an auto without being too radical, I'd stick with something in the 220 range. I think the perfect cam for what you describe would be something along the lines of the TR 220 cam, or the B1 (221/221) would be perfect, but probably not anything much bigger. Also, with the auto I'd stick with a 114 LSA just to make sure it idles well...

Above all else, just remember to read... this site is a great source of info on cam choices. Just be sure you pick something that you can live with on an everyday basis and try not to get caught up in all the hype over the newest, biggest, most radical cam on the market.
Old 04-09-2004, 12:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Tranzor_Z28
If you're looking at streetable in an auto without being too radical, I'd stick with something in the 220 range. I think the perfect cam for what you describe would be something along the lines of the TR 220 cam, or the B1 (221/221) would be perfect, but probably not anything much bigger. Also, with the auto I'd stick with a 114 LSA just to make sure it idles well...

Above all else, just remember to read... this site is a great source of info on cam choices. Just be sure you pick something that you can live with on an everyday basis and try not to get caught up in all the hype over the newest, biggest, most radical cam on the market.
Well thanks!! that's what I am looking for, honest help, if your still on here would I need anything else, like other parts or is the part you mentioned a kit? I am just trying to figure out where to get this too, any vendor you prefer? I have the cash to get this today but like you said I want to make sure I get all the right stuff and not jump into something, and I like how you mentioned about living with it everyday, because I do drive this almost everyday, even though it's just 11 miles to work I like getting out there on the weekends and cruising it around too, just to add something would the cam you mentioned be good with a stall converter down the line? or is that hard to match up cam and stall choices? again I have no clue so that's why I am asking, thanks.
Old 04-09-2004, 12:49 PM
STF Veteran

I have a 224/224, .581"/.581", 114 LSA from TSP. My cam made more mid range and more top end power. It is the biggest cam you can get and still stay street legal.
Call Texas Speed and Performance. They are very helpful and knowledgable.
Old 04-09-2004, 12:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99-LS1-SS
I have a 224/224, .581"/.581", 114 LSA from TSP. My cam made more mid range and more top end power. It is the biggest cam you can get and still stay street legal.
Call Texas Speed and Performance. They are very helpful and knowledgable.
well thanks, I will check into that, I noticed you ahve an automatic & stall converter, that's what I have in mind after this cam is a stall, so if I got a stall in that range you have this cam would work well with it too? Thank you.
Old 04-09-2004, 01:01 PM
STF Veteran

Yeah, it will work fine. My stall is a lot lower than other peoples on here but I don't mind. I might consider going to a 3600 but that would be the most I would do. I want my wife to still be able to drive my car without any trouble. I only go to the track 3 or 4 times a year so I am not too worried about getting slicks and a roll bar or anything like that. The way my car is right now I can run 12.2x at around 114 mph. I will eventually get some heads and a LS6 intake so that should put me into the 11's.
Old 04-09-2004, 01:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99-LS1-SS
Yeah, it will work fine. My stall is a lot lower than other peoples on here but I don't mind. I might consider going to a 3600 but that would be the most I would do. I want my wife to still be able to drive my car without any trouble. I only go to the track 3 or 4 times a year so I am not too worried about getting slicks and a roll bar or anything like that. The way my car is right now I can run 12.2x at around 114 mph. I will eventually get some heads and a LS6 intake so that should put me into the 11's.
great! that sounds like me, my wife drives mine now and then too, and that's why I was not going to get a huge stall converter down the line, very cool, I just found the one you have on there site you mentioned, is the price they have just for the cam? or does it give the other parts you need for the complete install? Thanks.
Old 04-09-2004, 01:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I would contact either Texas Speed or Thunder Racing... both places offer complete kits, and right now Texas Speed is running a great special on complete cam kits. Just be sure you tell them your goals and how you use your car and they'll hook you up with the type of cam that will suit your needs.
Old 04-09-2004, 01:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Tranzor_Z28
Yes, I would contact either Texas Speed or Thunder Racing... both places offer complete kits, and right now Texas Speed is running a great special on complete cam kits. Just be sure you tell them your goals and how you use your car and they'll hook you up with the type of cam that will suit your needs.
sounds good, I will give them a call, thanks.

Search this Thread