Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do if VVT cam is off from cam card?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 10:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What to do if VVT cam is off from cam card?

Installing a new Comp cams 189 core in a new 2012 Silverado with a 6.2L with the correct 6358 actuator and correct stop. I checked the stock cam for ***** and grins and it was installed at 108 Int Center line, the exhaust was at 118 center line, making for a LSA of 113. That means the stock cam was advanced 5 degrees. The tune retards it back 8 degrees at 6000 rpm so it should be redarded 3 degrees at that point.

The problem I have is when I checked the new cam it is installed at 118 ICL. The cam was ground with 116 LSA and suggests installing it at 110 ICL or advanced 6 degrees. This means I am 8 degrees slow from what is desired to give me good low end torque. I can only retard timing in the tune. If I advance the cam one tooth that makes 16.4 degrees difference so it would be at 102 ICL at that point. I could add 8 degrees retard to my entire tune except some of the highly retarded part throttle settings. I really don't think that is the best idea but I am open to any suggestions. Comp cams isn't really giving me much help yet, they are working on it.

Quick Reply: What to do if VVT cam is off from cam card?