Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARP lube??????

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Default ARP lube??????

Get my heads back from the machine shop monday. Just wondering if i have to use the ARP bolt lubricant on the bolts. Does the lube come WITH the bolt kit or seperatly purchased?
Old 10-12-2012, 08:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

I use the newer version of the lube. It's advertized as having a lower degree of "torque scatter"...Not sure that not just a "trik of the month deal", tho.
The last set of bolts came w/ a small tube of the original lube...
Old 10-13-2012, 02:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My ARP head bolts for my SBC came with the ARP lube, but I had to buy the thread sealant separately though.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron_Stoppable
Get my heads back from the machine shop monday. Just wondering if i have to use the ARP bolt lubricant on the bolts. Does the lube come WITH the bolt kit or seperatly purchased?
So what are my other options for thread sealant if i dont use the ARP thread sealant
Old 10-13-2012, 03:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If you use the ARP lube you don't need to use thread locker. Well at least that's what ARP says and i did on my heads. Mine came with a small packet, but i bought a extra tube for like $14 or something just in case.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I used the lube on my main and head studs with no sealant. If you buy the stud/bolt kits new, they will have a small packet that is enough for one installation sequence. If you need more, you can get a small bottle on jegs for around $20.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rob, the sealant would be only for the rocker bolts if your heads were (intake) ported enough to break into the bolt holes. If you dont use sealant you can suck in oil through them. Just to be clear, the sealant and lube are not the same thing. I have also used oil resistant non-hardening pipe dope with success. I expect that is what the ARP sealant really is.

Regarding the ARP lube, for me the included packet was just barely enough. I would have liked to have had a little more...and if you screw up and drop a washer down an oil drain and have to pull the heads you will need to buy more.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not sure if the head bolts in the LS1 penetrate into the water jacket, but if they do, you need the sealant and not the lube.

Sealant on the threads and the lube on the washers and bottom of the bolt head.

ARP is very specific about using their lube or sealant because that's what they use when they measure the final torque of the bolts.

Maybe their sealant and lube is no different than others, but if I'm gonna spend the money anyways, I might as well get what they recommend.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:40 AM
On The Tree

I called ARP and told them I had some of their bolts but didn't have their lube and they shipped me some for free.

Quick Reply: ARP lube??????