Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Complete gasket set pricing

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 01:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Complete gasket set pricing

Where do you guys get gasket sets for your motors? I'm trying to price out my swap and i want to regasket the engine before i put it in the car. When i rebuilt my sbc the gasket set cost me like 30 bucks, but looking at the pricing on these ls gaskets makes me want to cry! I just can believe they are over $200! I don't need mls, just basic gaskets for a stock motor. What's so damn special about the gaskets that they have to be 10x the cost of small block gaskets?
Old 10-17-2012, 01:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

your going to find thats just the name of the game with ls motors parts tend to be more expensive than sbc stuff. Another reason is that all ls gaskets are rubber and reusable with the exception of head gaskets. The mls gaskets are also standard for ls motors now so your not going to find any different best thing is to suck it up and get the kit.... However remember the oem gaskets are reusable so if you dont need it you may be able to skip it.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by redbird555
your going to find thats just the name of the game with ls motors parts tend to be more expensive than sbc stuff. Another reason is that all ls gaskets are rubber and reusable with the exception of head gaskets. The mls gaskets are also standard for ls motors now so your not going to find any different best thing is to suck it up and get the kit.... However remember the oem gaskets are reusable so if you dont need it you may be able to skip it.
Well I definitely want to do the head gaskets, plus i'm doing a cam swap so i have to take all the stuff off the front. Oil pan has to come off too to be modified. So that's just about everything. I see upper and lower gasket sets on ebay for around $60 each. $120 total isn't too horrible i guess, as long as its good quality.

What gaskets can be re used? I really don't want any leaks.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:38 PM
12 Second Club

Bite the bullet and replace them all. Many of the important (hard to get to) gaskets are an aluminum shim with a rubber lip molded around the inner edge. This includes front and rear cover gaskets as well as oil pan gasket. Seeing as they cant possibly be less than 10 years old its time. This assumes they are factory installed gaskets on an f body motor. I for one hate doing **** twice.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I replaced every seal and gasket on the engine (except for the fuel rail orings) and it cost me $373. That price didn't include shipping/tax, injector orings (included with new injectors), exhaust manifold gaskets (included with headers), and also not including cometic head gaskets. This stuff is not cheap.

Quick Reply: Complete gasket set pricing