Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil burning issue... pulled plugs with pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Oil burning issue... pulled plugs with pics

So i pulled the plugs on cylinders 1, 3 and 5 last night. I did a compession test a while back and all was well. I had come to conclusions that #5 was giving me issues, but didnt have any hard evidence until now... i think. I have been having on going issues with my driver side collector lightly puffing blue smoke, mostly noticeable at idle. I suspected it to be damaged valve seals. Anyway this is what i got let me know what you guys think.

number 1

number 3

number 5

number 5 looked pretty bad being the wettest and blackest... looks like wet oil

Last edited by BennyB; 10-29-2012 at 03:44 PM. Reason: edited for grammar
Old 10-30-2012, 09:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Anybody?
Old 10-30-2012, 10:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably just the valves seals like you said...I would change those out as well as the intake seals while you are in there, then some new plugs and see where ur at with the blue smoke coming out the exhaust...
Old 10-30-2012, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wildcamaro
Probably just the valves seals like you said...I would change those out as well as the intake seals while you are in there, then some new plugs and see where ur at with the blue smoke coming out the exhaust...
I thought intake gaskets on lt1s and older engines would cause oil burning issues, but not with ls or mod motors with the valley cover there's no way for oil to get in. Do you know who sells just the viton valve seals by themselves? I think I just want to change out the seals on cylinder 5 since that looks to be the problem cylinder
Old 10-30-2012, 04:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just go to autozone and get some seals for a 2002 camaro...they are felpro which is the oem supplier for GM's LS valve seals. They are the top hat design which is an improvement from earlier design...be careful though because the exhaust and intake seals are different seals, but are packaged seperate when you buy them.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are ways to isolate this problem to a specific cause. If you thinks its valve seals take the car down a long grade with someone following you. Gear down so the engine is holding the car back as you coast down the hill. This will simulate high manifold vacuum which will try to pull oil past the intake guide seals. gear back up and hit the gas. If your follower sees a cloud of blue smoke you have seal or guide problems. Generally if its exhaust seals you would see smoke from oil burning out the exhaust but this happens after the combustion process which wouldn't leave evidence on the plugs. Rings smoke constantly but the worst on WOT. How many miles are on the motor? Are you running a high lift cam?
Old 10-30-2012, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by td1168
There are ways to isolate this problem to a specific cause. If you thinks its valve seals take the car down a long grade with someone following you. Gear down so the engine is holding the car back as you coast down the hill. This will simulate high manifold vacuum which will try to pull oil past the intake guide seals. gear back up and hit the gas. If your follower sees a cloud of blue smoke you have seal or guide problems. Generally if its exhaust seals you would see smoke from oil burning out the exhaust but this happens after the combustion process which wouldn't leave evidence on the plugs. Rings smoke constantly but the worst on WOT. How many miles are on the motor? Are you running a high lift cam?
its pretty consistant, but does not seem to get any worse at wot. Thats from what i can tell anyway. The lift on the cam im running is .608/ .612 and the motor is up to 77k. The car doesnt feel like its lost power and the compression test was good, so that leads me to believe there isnt an issue there

Quick Reply: Oil burning issue... pulled plugs with pics