Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

intake leak?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 02:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default intake leak?

i did a swap with my mustang and its a turbo ls1..long story short im in the process of gettting the car tuned and i had to pull the intake frontwards to change my map sensor cause the one i first bought wasnt reading right..anyways while were tuning the car AFTER the intake was pulled and map sensor was installed it gets VERY lean at around 3000rpms and it almost dies and idles at like 450rpms and doesnt really recover..my brothers car does this to but his is not boosted or anything and has a stock tune on a ls1 camaro..just trying to figure out if it would be an intake leak or somthing else, im so close to being able to drive it but yet so far cause of the tune..this will be a big deal for me and my brother when we figure it out..im most likely going to pull the intake off tomorrow and check the gaskets to start with..btw map sensor isnt leaking or anything, ive pushed on it while it was running and it didnt help so i know its in the whole good. thanks for any help, its my first lsx engine and its been alonggg time since ive had an intake leak to know the symptoms.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would check it the old school way. While car is running, get a can of wd-40 with a red straw and spray along where the gaskets meet the heads. If there is a noticable change in idle..idle increases...
Then your gasket is leaking.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does it have to be a red straw man? i have a green one, someone stole my red one at work from my wd40 can, not i have the N/A green one off of a 2012 brake cleaner can. lmao
yea i was told to do the same thing though at work but i don't really know if I'm going to try it because all that **** is super flammable and with the plastic intake that would make one hell of a frowny face for me if it did catch fire..I'm going to smoke test it through an intake nipple..i hope this is my problem but i think its got to do with the tune, it needs more fuel in the higher rpm i think, but I'm no tuner by any means..I'm just a 18 year old mechanic that built a ls1, turbo'd it, and wired up the gauge cluster and the PCM and did a custom clutch setup for the t56..no big deal though..
Old 10-30-2012, 08:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Safest way to check for intake leaks is a unlit propane torch. Just crack it open and start moving it around the engine...be sure to unplg the IAC motor before you do this.

Quick Reply: intake leak?