Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ticking sound..need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 09:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ticking sound..need help

So about 2 months ago I did a head swap I installed a set of ported ls1 heads with tap dual valve springs retainers etc.I still used the stock push rods and lifters.After the install everything was great no knocks , leaks , taps etc. perfect so 2 weeks ago I noticed that I started hearing a ticking sound but I cannot pin point it out.I can only hear it under load but goes away when I let off but I don't think its a an exhaust leak because it is louder when its cold and quiets down when warm.I am starting to think it is a lifter.Any suggestions??Will be greatly appreciated.The car is a 99 C5 stock except for an intake and cat back M6
Old 10-30-2012, 10:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like typical lifter problems. Either replace it with a stock one or buy some nice morels
Old 10-30-2012, 11:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This^^^

What size are the Classics in your sig? Mini tubs?
Old 10-31-2012, 12:08 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by desertLS1
This^^^

What size are the Classics in your sig? Mini tubs?
Custom tubed and they are 18x12 on the rears I can't remember the fronts but it has been a long time since I have owned this car..what about yours?
Old 10-31-2012, 12:14 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What size would you say your rear and front lips are? They look good man.

Mine are 18x12 rear with 3" lip fronts are 18x10 with 2" lip.
The offset makes them stick out past the fender. Yours look perfect in that aspect.
I'll go mini tubed instead lol
Old 10-31-2012, 01:57 AM
Launching!

hmmm honestly I cant friggin remember I want to say 2.75ish I know I had a super low profile tire but I would not do it to my current vette I would just do an L5 fender and call it a day..so you also think my car has a bad lifter lol??
Old 10-31-2012, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't know man, lifter noise is hard to pinpoint on these...and not the easiest thing to fix first if you catch my drift. I don't know how many times I've seen people (myself included) chase down lifter noise, tear down, replace...only to hear the same dang thing. Please rule out exhaust leak, loose plug wires/plugs, rockers, pulleys etc first. Also, how extreme is this noise? What weight of oil do you use? All things to consider before a tear down imo. Also, I like diablo products too but make sure you're not hearing audible pinging. I'd even check your fuel injectors and pushrods first imo. Ever bounced off the rev limiter or take off hard on a cool morning without proper warm up? Aftermarket valve train needs to be warmed up before even trying to go over 2000 rpm, period. Good luck though man, and remember the more info you give us the better we can help diagnose. It wouldn't hurt to grab a stethoscope and figure out where the noise is really coming from. Just because it's only audible under load from in the driver's seat, doesn't mean it's not audible under the hood with a stethoscope. Lifters are a fairly big job, and I really wouldn't start there imo. Any codes? Random misfires?...I need more...
Old 10-31-2012, 01:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by oddwraith
I don't know man, lifter noise is hard to pinpoint on these...and not the easiest thing to fix first if you catch my drift. I don't know how many times I've seen people (myself included) chase down lifter noise, tear down, replace...only to hear the same dang thing. Please rule out exhaust leak, loose plug wires/plugs, rockers, pulleys etc first. Also, how extreme is this noise? What weight of oil do you use? All things to consider before a tear down imo. Also, I like diablo products too but make sure you're not hearing audible pinging. I'd even check your fuel injectors and pushrods first imo. Ever bounced off the rev limiter or take off hard on a cool morning without proper warm up? Aftermarket valve train needs to be warmed up before even trying to go over 2000 rpm, period. Good luck though man, and remember the more info you give us the better we can help diagnose. It wouldn't hurt to grab a stethoscope and figure out where the noise is really coming from. Just because it's only audible under load from in the driver's seat, doesn't mean it's not audible under the hood with a stethoscope. Lifters are a fairly big job, and I really wouldn't start there imo. Any codes? Random misfires?...I need more...

The noise is not that bad when warm so I know it is not a knock but I use 10w30 now.I am going to do a full header swap in the next week or so I hope I can eliminate the leak factor out of the equation.I have taken the valve covers off multiple times because I want to know where the sound is coming from but the rockers and push rods are nice and stiff even rotated the engine just to make sure it was not because they were compressed.I kind if did point out the sound it is coming from like the 5th or 7th (if I am correct) cylinder near the drivers side firewall.I just cant pin point it out.I am not sure but it seems like the sound is coming from inside the intake sort of in between where the intake manifold and head meet BUT am not positive.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

I hear ya. I had a slight tick on my car. Sometimes louder than others. Usually only after the car is warm. I installed a new mayhem 2 cam,specs in sign, new chromoly push rods, new lunati gold valvetrain. New Ls7 lifters, new rockers with the trunion upgrade, new racetronic 42lb injectors, no cats and no mufflers. New ls2 timing chain, new high pressure oil pump, complete valve job,. Guess what. I have the same exact tick. Not the sewing machine sound, but tick. Pretty noticable at times. Its been a few thousand miles now. I have many 1/4 mile runs shifting at 6700 Rpm and went an easy 165mph twice since the install. I just don't worry about it anymore. I think it could just be a normal harmonic sound as the motor goes thru the rpms. I have never had any oil consumption or smoking. Have 122,000 miles. Dyno'd just recently and still making 426rwhp. Was thinking of a different weight oil next change.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by slammedc5
I hear ya. I had a slight tick on my car. Sometimes louder than others. Usually only after the car is warm. I installed a new mayhem 2 cam,specs in sign, new chromoly push rods, new lunati gold valvetrain. New Ls7 lifters, new rockers with the trunion upgrade, new racetronic 42lb injectors, no cats and no mufflers. New ls2 timing chain, new high pressure oil pump, complete valve job,. Guess what. I have the same exact tick. Not the sewing machine sound, but tick. Pretty noticable at times. Its been a few thousand miles now. I have many 1/4 mile runs shifting at 6700 Rpm and went an easy 165mph twice since the install. I just don't worry about it anymore. I think it could just be a normal harmonic sound as the motor goes thru the rpms. I have never had any oil consumption or smoking. Have 122,000 miles. Dyno'd just recently and still making 426rwhp. Was thinking of a different weight oil next change.
Man that would have drove me nuts if I did all that and it still did it..
Old 10-31-2012, 08:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

whats the spring pressure of your new springs ?I think maybe you mite have push rods flexing .maybe install some harden push rods.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by garygnu
whats the spring pressure of your new springs ?I think maybe you mite have push rods flexing .maybe install some harden push rods.
they are the tsp dual springs 650 lift ones
Old 03-27-2013, 05:10 PM

I have this high pitched rattle as well. I am running full synthetic 10/30 should I change the viscosity?.....My oil change is due and I am going with the over 75,000 Max Life but just thinking if the viscosity is changed if it will help. It happens during acceleration in the low rpm mode. When you lift off the pedal it stops............

This is my daily driver so I am not taking any thing apart, just want an easy fix!
Old 03-27-2013, 06:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 68camaroboltz
I have this high pitched rattle as well. I am running full synthetic 10/30 should I change the viscosity?.....My oil change is due and I am going with the over 75,000 Max Life but just thinking if the viscosity is changed if it will help. It happens during acceleration in the low rpm mode. When you lift off the pedal it stops............

This is my daily driver so I am not taking any thing apart, just want an easy fix!
sounds like it's pinging at low rpms.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by flattusmaximus78
sounds like it's pinging at low rpms.
I agree... if under heavy load at low rpm and youre hearing a "rattling", I would suggest pinging.

Quick Reply: ticking sound..need help