Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New TSP 421 LQ9 install: Now #1 cylinder connecting rod bolt is hitting the oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 07:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New TSP 421 LQ9 install: Now #1 cylinder connecting rod bolt is hitting the oil pan

Ok I got a 421 long block LQ9 from TSP. After my mechanic installed and cranked it, there was a noise and it was the #1 cylinder head connecting rod bolt hitting the oil pan!!! It is the stock oil pan from my 02 LS1.

I thought TSP would check for stuff like this before shipping...apparently not.

They even told my mechanic that this has happened before. But they don't include any provisions or anything written anywhere stating this issue??

Moving on, I have included pics so you can see. TSP's response was to double up on gaskets!! really?? that won't be enough, and when the engine flexes , expands, vibrates..etc, it may hit again! don't wanna do that.

So any suggestions on what I can do here? maybe get a bigger pan? thanks in advance for any info.

Here is the bolt that's hitting:

Here is the oil pan with the damage:

Old 11-07-2012, 09:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I didn't know there was a "fitment" guarantee with non-stock parts. That's an area the owner/builder/assembler needs to assume responsibility for. I think the doubled gaskets is a bad idea, hard to imagine a vendor giving that advice. Since the pan is off, clean it and have a small pad welded on outside under the groove, then grind that slot out for more clearance?
Old 11-07-2012, 09:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by S10xGN
I didn't know there was a "fitment" guarantee with non-stock parts. That's an area the owner/builder/assembler needs to assume responsibility for. I think the doubled gaskets is a bad idea, hard to imagine a vendor giving that advice. Since the pan is off, clean it and have a small pad welded on outside under the groove, then grind that slot out for more clearance?
Agreed.

OP, did TSP send you the engine with the pan on it? I'm interested to see where this goes. There is always to sides to a story.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Similiar to what S10 said, I would have the outside built up with weld metal, then grind to clear, ensuring there is PLENTY of room.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Agreed.

OP, did TSP send you the engine with the pan on it? I'm interested to see where this goes. There is always to sides to a story.
No they did not! And now I understand why!

And during the buying process I made it super clear to ask "is there anything else that will not fit from my LS1 onto the LQ9 besides drilling the hole for the alt that you don't provide and I have to get??" they said "no!" Now there's gonna be more manpower hours + labor to fix this, but the engine is under warranty! I m very very disappointed in TSP. They even told the mechanic something about not running a test because they didn't have an oil pan?? My mech is one of the last few honest people I trust. I will resolve this issue with TSP now, after that ...never again.

oh and Thanks guys for the idea. That didn't even cross my mind! thanks

Last edited by ZetaVeinteOcho; 11-07-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That short block has a 4.125" long throw crank. I personally would not have gone any bigger than a 4" crank. You can't expect an engine builder to guarantee the fitment of every oil pan on the market. I did a quick google search and found a few complaints of the 4.125" crank hitting the LS1 oil pan. A little research up front might have helped in this case.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

sounds like a little more research on both ends might of helped!
Old 11-08-2012, 07:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Get an aftermarket pan, or cut and weld a depression in right there. I don't see it as tsp's issue that you ordered such a large stroke crank engine and didn't know the stock oil pan was way too close?

They are there to sell you a shortblock, not show you how to install the heads over the phone or rotate the crank once the pan is on to check for issues.

I guess it would be their fault too if there was piston to valve clearance issues once you put the heads on as well?

This is coming from someone who doesn't buy from tsp.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

So did you contact TSP about it? Who knows, they might offer to modify the pan for you or something similar. Or did you go straight to the web and post this?
Old 11-08-2012, 08:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Kinda what you get when just throwing a long *** stroke in an otherwise stock short block that was not built to handle that.

As others said, get another oil pan that's made to have clearance for a much longer stroke than stock. LS1 oil pans weren't really designed with a 4.125" stroke in mind...
Old 11-08-2012, 09:06 AM
10 Second Club

I understand you are frustrated but when you stretch something that far you or your mechanic should be smart enough to check things before you go and crank it over. I don’t see how you can blame TSP for you not know enough to at least turn the block over by hand while still on the stand. If you made it all the way to start up before figuring this out you are in more trouble than you think.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:08 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When the engine left here it did not have an oil pan installed. Your "mechanics" should have at least turned the engine over by hand before putting the engine in the vehicle, and certainly before firing the engine up (they tell us they did not do so)! This is along the lines of shimming the windage tray, rocker to valve cover clearance, etc. It is the job of the installer to verify clearances on parts that they install. We checked everything that we installed on that engine.

This is clearly an installer error. if there is any other questions or concerns about what happened here feel free to contact myself or your salesman, Jake, and we will clarify for you!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 11-08-2012, 10:00 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing's a bolt on, and I'm gonna agree with tsp that it shoulda been checked, and rechecked.. But!! This is obviously something tsp should add as a disclaimer or note attached to the engine to verify Pan clearances. Especially on long armed cranks... U know how many folks forget the barbell?
Old 11-08-2012, 10:04 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IllusionalTA
Nothing's a bolt on, and I'm gonna agree with tsp that it shoulda been checked, and rechecked.. But!! This is obviously something tsp should add as a disclaimer or note attached to the engine to verify Pan clearances. Especially on long armed cranks... U know how many folks forget the barbell?
It's be near impossible for us to note everything a mechanic should check before firing an engine without forcing each of them to buy a book on the subject. Unfortunately, this is exactly why we cannot offer warranty on engines that are not built, installed, and tuned here at our facility. We simply cannot foreshadow the ability (or inability) of a mechanic to do this job correctly.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 11-08-2012, 10:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
It's be near impossible for us to note everything a mechanic should check before firing an engine without forcing each of them to buy a book on the subject. Unfortunately, this is exactly why we cannot offer warranty on engines that are not built, installed, and tuned here at our facility. We simply cannot foreshadow the ability (or inability) of a mechanic to do this job correctly.
Adding that a stock oil pan will not work with this set up may be a good idea. This is something that most people, if you are not directly told this, are going to reuse what they have. Just food for thought there.....
Old 11-08-2012, 10:25 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Clearancing a pan in that area for that stroke is a very common procedure. Just something the builder did not check. They have to suck it up and correct the problem. Bet they will check that on the next motor.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:45 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by ws6fitz
Adding that a stock oil pan will not work with this set up may be a good idea. This is something that most people, if you are not directly told this, are going to reuse what they have. Just food for thought there.....
There are customers that have installed similar setups (with 4.125" stroke cranks) without having to clearance the pan. However, we have also had customers with shorter stroke cranks have to clearance the pan. This is just something that should've been checked before hand.
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 11-08-2012, 01:42 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

That's why when you buy a mail-order engine you really need to speak with them about local shops that do the install. If the engine builder doesn't know of that mechanic/shop or doesn't have anything good to say, you need to rethink your whole situation.

If the builder does know the shop and can vouch for them, it may save you headaches down the road if there is an issue.

The optimum solution is to get the engine built and installed by the same shop. Not always ideal, but if you have a reputable shop within a few hours drive, then that's probably the way to go.

And clearancing of the oil pan is pretty standard on stroker motors...
Old 11-08-2012, 02:20 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I'm sorry to hear about your problems with the installation. I hate to hear that the engine was started and run without properly being inspected when your "shop" installed the pan & other components.

This is a perfect example of why companies can't offer warranties on mail order engines. We're at the mercy of the installer and have to hope they have enough knowledge to check that an engine will turn over properly prior to starting it up.

I was completely stunned when your shop called us asking "who's financially responsible" for their failure to check the installation. The unfortunate thing is now aluminum has potentially been released into the engine and could cause more problems.

This is something we deal with occasionally with shops that don't properly install something. I can't possibly tell a shop we've never spoken with all of the things you are supposed to do as part of a proper engine assembly. Unfortunately there's a certain level of knowledge that we have to expect from an installer.

If you look at our engine information sheet we try to put recommendations on things to check such as oil types, oil pump o-ring, PCV and crankcase breathing, shimming the windage tray, etc. Out of all of these things I must say this is the first time I've ever had a shop not check proper rotating clearance inside an engine.

The unfortunate thing is now our customer believes that we have somehow let him down by not test fitting a component that we didn't sell & that wasn't at our facility to test fit.
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 11-08-2012, 02:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Who bolts down an oilpan on a stroker and then doesn't check clearance? Especially a stock oilpan when the stroke was increased about 5/8". Hell the bump in the stock pan says it was close with the stock stroke.

I would question the intelligence of the buyer and installer.

By the time you are putting a 400+ci engine in you should know better.

Quick Reply: New TSP 421 LQ9 install: Now #1 cylinder connecting rod bolt is hitting the oil pan