Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you guys change valve springs without pulling the timing cover?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 01:30 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default How do you guys change valve springs without pulling the timing cover?

So I know I will have to change my valve springs because they are duals and I have a aftermarket cam. What is the easiest way to change the springs without pulling the timing cover off the car to check where you are in the firing order? I was thinking you could watch the intake rocker on #1 cylinder go up and down and than stick a coat hanger in the spark plug hole and wait tell the piston reaches the very top and than you could mark the crank hub and than use it to rotate it 90 degrees each time to put you on tdc for each cyl so you could rest the valve on the piston while you change that spring.. And also you could torque your rockers that way also? This is correct right?
Old 11-11-2012, 06:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have an air compressor you don't need to worry about where its at - keep compressed air on the cylinder and it makes it easy. Just did my springs that way.

Rockers you need to know and can do half, rotate 360 and do the other half, IIRC.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You can figure out where you are. With the valve cover off, turn the motor until you see #1 intake open then close. TDC is a about 1/3 turn farther so rotate and use a straw to feel the piston come up. Once its at the top you are at TDC. Then follow the firing order turning 1/4 turn at a time.

Note that it doesn't matter where the piston is if using compressed air, but I prefer to unload the rocker with the lifter on the base circle so you aren't loading the threads due to an open valve while removing the rocker.

I also like using a rope in the cylinder because it is easier to free the locks which can stick in place after the motor is run a while.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah I always pushed air into the cylinder to hold the valves up
Old 11-11-2012, 09:56 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Reckless
Yeah I always pushed air into the cylinder to hold the valves up
This method......super easy
Old 11-11-2012, 09:58 AM
10 Second Club

I know about the air method, but I don't like using it. IMO it's easier to just turn the engine over than it is to screw in the spark plug adap every time.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I change spark plugs in 30 minutes 1-7 from the top and 8 from the bottom. Using compressed air is just too EZ. No need to pull timing cover. Just get the engine to TDC on number one and then you know the rest of the drill. I use a rubber hammer to tap the retainer so that the locks come out EZ with a magnet. Takes about a hour and a half to swap out the springs.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use both compressed air and TDC together. Pull the number 1 plug and insert a piece of rubber tubing, if you have one of the TDC checkers - even better. Turn the engine using the crank bolt until the piston until the piston hits the tubing making sure both valves are closed. Mark that position on the pan and dampner. Now turn the engine the other way (counterclockwise) until the piston hits again, and mark that position on the dampner. The spot half way between those two marks is TDC. Now rotate the engine back clockwise to your new mark and divide the dampner into quarters and mark them in order from TDC 2, 3, 4. Now for each 1/4 turn of the crank the next cylinder in the firing order will be at TDC.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I just rotated the motor and felt where the piston was with a pushrod checker in the bore. Just don't drop it in there lol.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Used compressed air much safer. Valves are very easy to bend and if you have the piston at TDC you risk bending it when releasing the keeper or compressing the spring. No reason to remove the timing cover

But it is a good idea to know you are not at TDC by inserting a long extenstion or screwdriver in the spark plug bore.

I would sping the motor to TDC on the cylinder you are removing the springs on then turn it back 45 degrees so you know the piston isnt ocmpletely TDC and you will not drop a valve.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

When compressing the spring, there is no pressure on the valve, I don't see how you would bend it unless you goofed up and got hung up on the valve stem while cranking down on the compressor.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:14 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MyFirstLS1
Used compressed air much safer. Valves are very easy to bend and if you have the piston at TDC you risk bending it when releasing the keeper or compressing the spring. No reason to remove the timing cover

But it is a good idea to know you are not at TDC by inserting a long extenstion or screwdriver in the spark plug bore.

I would sping the motor to TDC on the cylinder you are removing the springs on then turn it back 45 degrees so you know the piston isnt ocmpletely TDC and you will not drop a valve.
I really don't know why I strated this thread lol. I already know how I want to do it and only a few people who have posted I'm guessing have any more knoledge that I already have.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Talking

Originally Posted by MyFirstLS1

When you are at TDC you can't drop the valve because the piston is at TDC. If you do not have compressed air to work with the valve will just sit on top of the piston when the spring is removed. It will just sit on the top of the piston as there is not enough room for it to fall down in the cylinder. Just pull it up with your needle nose pliers and put on the new spring. Compressed air just makes it easier. Either way you can't bend a valve by being at TDC. No need to turn the engine back at all. By turning the engine you move the piston down in the cylinder and you could drop a valve down in cylinder bore which is something that you do not want to do. That is unless you want to pull the head off to retrieve the valve.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:30 PM
Launching!

To find Approx. TDC just pull plug stick finger over hole and turn the motor over when the air pushes your finger away bam.. TDC pretty simple.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:51 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by knuts82
To find Approx. TDC just pull plug stick finger over hole and turn the motor over when the air pushes your finger away bam.. TDC pretty simple.
Lol that will tell you you're on compression yes. You still need to make sure you're at tdc by putting something in the cylinder and watch it go up and stop. And you should actually stop it just a tiny bit before it get's to the very top because the cylinder actually fires so many degrees befoe tdc
Old 11-15-2012, 10:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sweet99ss
Lol that will tell you you're on compression yes. You still need to make sure you're at tdc by putting something in the cylinder and watch it go up and stop. And you should actually stop it just a tiny bit before it get's to the very top because the cylinder actually fires so many degrees befoe tdc
It makes 100% no difference if you are just changing springs. The cam is not affected in anyway. If air is compressed passed your finger the piston is up plain and simple and the valve wont fall below your guides.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:50 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by knuts82
It makes 100% no difference if you are just changing springs. The cam is not affected in anyway. If air is compressed passed your finger the piston is up plain and simple and the valve wont fall below your guides.
If you read the last sentence I was also saying to use this method to torque the rockers down... That's why you need to make sure it's very close....

Quick Reply: How do you guys change valve springs without pulling the timing cover?