Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

very small scars in cylinder bore

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 01:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default very small scars in cylinder bore

I recently tore my ls1 down because of excessive blow-by. When I finally got the engine tore down number 8 cylinder had some cylinder pitting right above the top compression ring at BDC. I think the cylinder somehow had water sittting in it for a period of time and rusted the cylinder wall. I bought a set of 3.908" bore pistons from Mahle thinking the cylinder would clean up. Well my friend and I honed the cylinder block on his sunnen machine and I can still see a small vertical spot about a 1/4" vertically where the pitting was and you can pick at it with your fingernail. My friend said he wouldn't advise sleeving that cylinder now because it could cause distortion in the already finished cylinder next to it. I don't know if I'm just obsessing over something I shouldn't worry about. Any expert opinions about possible effects of just going ahead and leaving it alone would be appreciated.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:59 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pic

Need pictures
Old 11-11-2012, 02:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I figured that might help. I don't have any right this minute. I'll try to get a few and post them. Thanks for the response though.

Quick Reply: very small scars in cylinder bore