Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam retainer and sprocket clearance question

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 10:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam retainer and sprocket clearance question

Ok so I am concerned about the bolt clearance from my Cam retainer vs the sprocket.. I had to get replacement bolts and retainer because the motor didn't come with them, After instillation im worried about clearance, I know the cam shouldn't move back and they are not touching.. but theres probably only .50 on a feeler gauge give or take of room between the head of the bolt and the cam sprocket!

heres two crappy pics to try and show you what I got going on..

Cam retainer and sprocket clearance question-yshpe.jpg

Name:  o5zHo.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  191.5 KB

Last edited by jay7199; 11-16-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If the new cam plate was a GM with the countersunk holes, you now run the risk of the plate cracking. This plate requires new/different screws and a different torque value. Where did you get the new cam plate?

Here is a link to explain the difference: Link
Old 11-17-2012, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Another guy had the same prob messed up a lot of parts I think theres some type of adapter piece you have to put on there when I. did mine I guess it came with it or I got the older style but make sure your clearence is right before you crank it did you try to spin motor by hand?
Old 11-17-2012, 12:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chevybayboy
Another guy had the same prob messed up a lot of parts I think theres some type of adapter piece you have to put on there when I. did mine I guess it came with it or I got the older style but make sure your clearence is right before you crank it did you try to spin motor by hand?

There are things to do here....

Are those hardware store bolts or GM replacement cam retaining bolts? Make sure you have the correct fastener whether that be the countersunk or cap screw.

Second turn the motor over and make sure they don't touch the gear. The cam should have some minor in and out play. Does it it touch when you push on the sprocket?

Third, does the engine turn over smoothly?

IMHO, I would be comfortable with .050" of air gap between the gear and the bolt head.

Keep in mind, this is how it is from the factory...As long as your parts are correct, they will work together figuring the manufacturing tolerances are correct.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:27 PM
TECH Addict

Can you take better pics?
Old 11-17-2012, 12:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes they are hardware Grade 8 replacement bolts, But they are a mirror of the GM bolts, Motor turns over free without the bolts touching and I can push on the sprocket and have a friend turn it over.. still no contact, Thats why I feel like I should be ok.. But it just seemed tight so i wanted to make sure.

Also I know about the differences, this retainer does not have the countersunk surface.

I was thinking maybe my cam sprocket might be different then the stock GM ones? I dont really know what sprocket this is TBH, most I see are solid..
Old 11-17-2012, 12:56 PM
TECH Addict

My SLP chain has holes in the sprocket like like.

Quick Reply: Cam retainer and sprocket clearance question