Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 oil loss/low oil level reading

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 06:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C5 oil loss/low oil level reading

I have two separate issues going on related to oil level issues. First is I am using oil pretty bad. It is an 00 C5 which when stock used zero oil.
At one time I installed an 04 LS6 valley cover, catch can between the valley cover and intake, then had Lashway do a heads and cam install. Now it uses a quart per 1000 miles.

I cant find any oil in the intake and the catch can is empty. I set the PCV system up exactly how the LS1 to LS6 swap goes on LS1howto.com except for the catch can. There is no oil on the driveway, engine bay, nothing. The plugs are clean, and there is no smoking at startup or while driving.

Now the second issue which at first I thought was related to the oil loss issue. My oil level warning keeps coming on. Right now the dipstick reads full on a level surface and as soon as i turn the key the low oil level warning comes on. I press reset and start driving and it comes on again every 10 minutes or so while driving. I check the low oil level every time today and it was always full.

I put a new oil level sender unit in this morning hoping that was the problem but not so much.

If anyone has any ideas on what to look for I am all ears.

THanks
Old 11-18-2012, 06:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My stock longblock ls1 with 65,000 miles usd a quart or more every 3000 miles. To me a quarter of one dosn't sound strange. All my friend's ls cars do the same. Idk about the sensor. How much is in the catch can?
Old 11-19-2012, 05:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I opened up the drain on the catch can and got maybe a teaspoon out of it. The oil loss I can deal with, it is the faulty low oil message that I need to fix. I basically ignore it now but there is going to come a point where I ignore the wrong one.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any smoke at WOT?
Old 11-19-2012, 11:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A friend had a 2000 and there were several occasions when he got the low level indication. After re-filling, the light hung around for a while. Don't think he ever resolved it but he also knew the oil was at the correct level. You may also have a grounding issue, have you cleaned the grounds?

Quick Reply: C5 oil loss/low oil level reading