Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuild advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 05:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuild advice

I had originally picked up a 5.3 engine to stuff in my Ranger. I was gonna do a basic maintenance rebuild, when i found a problem on tear down. I few cylinders have gotten water in them, rusting the bores. Now i don't want to just bore in and clean it up for a 5.3 piston, i figure if a bore is required, i should just step up to 346.

I'm not looking to build a race truck, weekend cruiser with an occasional trip to the track. I was looking at some Speed-Pro hyper flat top pistons 3.898 bore. Think these will be sufficient for my intended use? I was also going to go with the Scat 6.100 i-beam rod, mainly for the arp bolts, then have it all balanced. What are the thoughts of all of you? This is my first LS build, so i'm still learning.

I also am planning on running the 243 heads. What do you think the CR will be with these pistons? Use a stock replacement head gasket?
Old 12-04-2012, 06:41 AM
Staging Lane

My thinking would be that the CR would remain the same with flat top piston and 243 heads. But I can't say 100% on that. Also I'd throw a cam in there to if your going to use those heads I would think that you would be leaving horsepower on the table if your going to try and use a truck cam with those heads..I also get a at least a ls1 intake..Just my .02.. Hope this helps and good luck with it
Old 12-04-2012, 11:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Personally, if money was an issue, I would have the stock rods reconditioned and ARP bolts installed. With the money saved, move up to a forged piston. Again, if money is an issue, I would stick with the truck intake. It should fit under the Ranger hood and it flows pretty well. When your ready to upgrade, skip the usual LS6 route. It's a nice intake but you'll have to change accessory pulleys and when it's all said and done, the money is better spent on a FAST LSXRT. I would have gone with the aftermarket rod if you were going to spray it or boost it but you wouldn't be using a hypereutectic piston for either one of those applications.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had planned on an aftermarket cam, just not sure which cam yet. The EFI is being deleted, going with a carb.
I had considered reconditioning the rods with ARP bolts, but figured with re-sizing them, just aswell get new ones. I really don't need a forged piston, will not be running any power adders.

I plan to replace just about everything in the motor, i want to put it together and forget about it. I would like to be 10-10.5:1 COMP, i didn't know if the 243 heads were the same CC wise as the stock 241's?
Old 12-04-2012, 03:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stock 241s have like a 68cc compared to the 243 which has a 66cc chamber so you will get more compression. If you bore to 347 and have flat tops you will be right around 10.4-1 with 241 and about 10.8-1 with 243s. Also if going carbed you would be smart to go with a lower lsa like 109-112 on the cam.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

That would put me compression wise right where i want to be. Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: Rebuild advice