Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to look for? Craigslist block

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 03:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to look for? Craigslist block

Im about to drive 80 miles to check out an LS1 short block. He does not know what year car it came from but that it has a spun rod bearing. The guy says its not cracked but Id like to do a good inspection before buying it. Where are the key places to check for cracks and detrimental damage?
Old 12-05-2012, 06:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just go over the whole block and look for cracks, although it will have to dye checked to know for sure. If it has perimeter valve cover bolts it's a 98, if center bolts then its 99-up
Old 12-05-2012, 07:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by longcut
Im about to drive 80 miles to check out an LS1 short block. He does not know what year car it came from but that it has a spun rod bearing. The guy says its not cracked but Id like to do a good inspection before buying it. Where are the key places to check for cracks and detrimental damage?
Never! I say NEVER! Buy a used block without an inspection. Most cracks you cant see with the naked eye. Thats why there such a thing as die penetrant and Mag particle.

Get him to sign a "rebuildable" core guarantee. Basically, you buy the block from him, take it to a machine shop, if its cracked or not rebuildable you get your $$ back.

If he is honest and reputible, he will do it. A cracked block is no good to him than it is to you. I have bought SBCs in the past with cracks and spun bearings. CYA...
Old 12-05-2012, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
Never! I say NEVER! Buy a used block without an inspection. Most cracks you cant see with the naked eye. Thats why there such a thing as die penetrant and Mag particle.

Get him to sign a "rebuildable" core guarantee. Basically, you buy the block from him, take it to a machine shop, if its cracked or not rebuildable you get your $$ back.

If he is honest and reputible, he will do it. A cracked block is no good to him than it is to you. I have bought SBCs in the past with cracks and spun bearings. CYA...
Agree 100%, always check what you are buying
Old 12-06-2012, 12:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

where are you from? i have one ill sell you if that one doesn't check out good, probably even beat his price if you are close enough
Old 12-07-2012, 05:19 PM
Teching In

Im in NW Arkansas. I got the short block anyway, spun rod bearing but the mains look good. It was only 400$ ill get it to the machine shop for a good inspection and if its good ill have them get it ready to build. Its had some surface rust in the cylinders. How far can you bore the sleeves if a good hone is not enough?
Old 12-07-2012, 11:00 PM
TECH Addict

Im in NW Arkansas. I got the short block anyway, spun rod bearing but the mains look good. It was only 400$ ill get it to the machine shop for a good inspection and if its good ill have them get it ready to build. Its had some surface rust in the cylinders. How far can you bore the sleeves if a good hone is not enough?
Thats the problem. Thats why you need to have a block inspected BEFORE you buy. You can't overbore and LS1 much more than .007"...For your sake I do hope its free of cracks and the rust isnt worst than on inital look.

At least if it turns up bad, you can recycle it.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:47 AM
Teching In

I don't think it will take more than .007 but if so i can always Re-sleeve. Just have my fingers crossed there are no hidden crack I can see. Thanks for the input
Old 12-08-2012, 01:22 PM
TECH Addict

I don't think it will take more than .007 but if so i can always Re-sleeve. Just have my fingers crossed there are no hidden crack I can see. Thanks for the input
Yes, you can, but it will cost more than the block did.

Sometimes its cheaper to spend more up front.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/na...make/chevrolet

Last edited by badazz81z28; 12-08-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:16 AM
Teching In

I thought about buying a new or reman block but I didnt want to spent 1500-1700 and still only have a 5.7. Here I took a chance at a possibly build-able 5.7 and If I have to re-sleeve then I can use that extra $ to do it and also increase the displacement with a larger diameter sleeve up too 4.125. (LS7 bore if I remember correctly).

http://www.erlperformance.com/gm-ls-...-block-sleeved

Plus I dont know if the summit blocks come with darton sleeves. Ill take my Craigslist block to the shop tomorrow for inspection.

Quick Reply: What to look for? Craigslist block