Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Collapsed Lifter, Over Rev to blame?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 10:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Collapsed Lifter, Over Rev to blame?

Did a burnout a spun the car around once, during this I hit the rev-limiter a couple times which is something I've hardly done in this car and usually try not to, whoops. 1 Day later a lovely ticking noise suddenly shows up. Great. Is it possible I collapsed a lifter during that? I've dealt with chewed up lifters but not collapsed ones.
2 years ago I replaced all the lifters, cam, springs + had a valve job with new seals because I had a bad lifter which was pitted as hell and killed the cam. That all happened because the oil pump went out. Since then I've had no oil pressure issues or noises or anything else so I have a hard time believing the surfaces to be worn on any of these parts.
Today I pulled the Passenger Valve cover and noticed a rocker arm that had a lot of play in it. While at zero lash there is about an 1/8in. gap between the rocker arm and the top of the valve. I can fit a screwdriver tip in this gap! The rest of the rocker arms are still snug and this one used to be.. These things just don't change over time, it has to be a lifter right??? And the gap between these parts could create that amount of noise??
Old 12-06-2012, 03:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Check the pushrod first to see if it is bent.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Would just bouncing off the limiter a couple times actually damage the valvetrain like this? I hit the limiter a few different times in my Camaro but I didn't continuously bounce off of the limiter each time. Just bumped it. I haven't even gotten over 4500RPM on my T/A yet.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by KissMyTushZ28
Would just bouncing off the limiter a couple times actually damage the valvetrain like this? I hit the limiter a few different times in my Camaro but I didn't continuously bounce off of the limiter each time. Just bumped it. I haven't even gotten over 4500RPM on my T/A yet.
I hit the rev limiter after heads and lts install and the next day my lifter was destroyed
Old 12-06-2012, 11:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Check the pushrod first to see if it is bent.
I did check the pushrod and its as straight as an arrow. Sucks cuz I was hoping it would be that. And I did roll it on a flat surface. I'm just trying to avoid removing the head but looks like ill probably have to... Ugh
Old 12-06-2012, 12:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chevybayboy
I hit the rev limiter after heads and lts install and the next day my lifter was destroyed
Damn.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chevybayboy
Did your cam make it out of that ok?
Old 12-06-2012, 09:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can put 50ish pounds of weight on the pushrodyou can check to see if the plunger depresses over the course of 30 seconds or less. I believe spec is something like 35 to 125 seconds with the lifter full of leakdown fluid, which is lower viscosity than oil. If it does, the check valve is blown and hadn't seized / collapsed yet. If it doesn't depress it is either seized or behaving normally for a lifter full of cold oil. You could have wiped out a roller and the lost roller is the reason for the height difference...that destroys the cam.

Did you hear any scraping while it was running? It's not too loud in my experience, much more subtle than I'd expect...but it sounds deep I. The motor
You can also check the plug magnet, if you are taking out the cam it will have metal on it, see my thread a little below here for pictures 3 oil changes and 600 mileslater.

Last edited by therabidweasel; 12-07-2012 at 05:37 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:51 AM
On The Tree

I did not hear any scraping while it was running however there was some super fine metal sludge on the oil plug but that oil had been in their a while. I'm actually just gonna pull the whole motor out this time. It will be much easier to work on plus ill finally be able to get to that damn rear main seal that's been slowly leaking.
Last time I took out the cam I had driven it for a while with a bad lifter, at least this time I caught it immediately so fingers crossed..
Old 12-08-2012, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocktagon
Did your cam make it out of that ok?
It had a small small nic on it my buddy bought it from me took it somewhere to get fixed he hasn't had a prob with it... I upgraded to bigger cam after that

Quick Reply: Collapsed Lifter, Over Rev to blame?