Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Streetsweeper HT to Streetsweeper??

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 12:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Streetsweeper HT to Streetsweeper??

Hey guys had a question for you all.

Looking at cam options for my LS swap...pretty much set on an Ed Curtis cam as I've heard nothing but great things! Been searchin this forum and haven't really seen and comparisions between some of these.

My question is what would I gain picking the HT (228/232) over the SS (236/240)?? The car has 3.73s, and will most likely have AI 226cc heads & LS6 intake/ longtubes etc etc. Will mostly be doing street duty, maybe 1-2 track visits a year. Looking for the most "bang for my buck" in terms of HP/TQ and still maintaining SOME sort of driveability lol.

I emailed Ed last month and he said the HT would work great for my setup as it was more "DD" like and said the Streetsweeper would take bigger heads/more compression etc to reach it's full potential...but then just today I found a c5 vette owner with ETP 215's and a FAST 92 who contacted Ed and got setup with the Streetsweeper (236/240), and made 511hp/455tq and made around 350 ftlbs @ around 3k rpms the same as when he had a 224r cam.

Mainly my question is...how much driveability am I losing going to the Streetsweeper over the HT? I want the most power out of this thing as possible and if TQ doesn't drop a significant amount and driveability is roughly the same...why would I not go w/ the Streetsweeper??

I'm semi-new to this whole LSx show so if I said something stupid please let me know lol

Thanks for your help guys!
Old 12-11-2012, 12:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Why not just fill out one of Ed's custom cam worksheets? I bet he'd come up with something in between the two utilizing his "Godfather" profile.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

I havent had the SS, But I had the ssht in a z06 and it was great. Car was wrecked and the cam is now in a friends stock longblock/ls6 intake going 7.11 at 96 or so at 3600 pounds on motor. Its a great cam for a street car, runs great on the track, sounds great, runs great, and he even gets upper 20s on the interstate with it in his fbody now. For all around it is very hard to beat. For mostly street use, I would buy it again.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:57 PM
On The Tree

See lol...didn't even know there were custom cam spec sheets (sorry bout that). I will look at those for sure.

I just like knowing that these cams work...and I'd be scared goin away from these grinds (may be a dumb fear to have since I know these guys know what they are doing) but definately won't rule out a custom grind!

Ok and awesome alan...that's the kinda stuff im wantin to hear about!
Old 12-11-2012, 01:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by muttstang
See lol...didn't even know there were custom cam spec sheets (sorry bout that). I will look at those for sure.

I just like knowing that these cams work...and I'd be scared goin away from these grinds (may be a dumb fear to have since I know these guys know what they are doing) but definately won't rule out a custom grind!

Ok and awesome alan...that's the kinda stuff im wantin to hear about!
Anything that Ed specs out is going to work, period. Going the custom cam route is going to be better for you because Ed's going to know EVERYTHING you've done to your car, what future mods you may add, and exactly how you drive the car (DD, weekend warrior, 1/4 mile racing, street racing, etc.). The more info you give him, the better he's going to be able to match a cam to your needs.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

theres a thread somewhere with a gto that had ai 226 heads and eds 232-236 tigershark cam that made amazing power. you have a good game plan going with these guys!
Old 12-11-2012, 01:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Check out dr whigham on here. He has a custom grind Ed Curtis cam to complement his AFR heads, and I know he's happy as can be with the results and didn't regret at all having Ed custom spec his cam.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:54 PM
On The Tree

Ok I just read your 6 page thread on Ed's H/C combo's Pheonix...very interesting stuff!

I'll fill out that sheet when I get a motor bought. Just sold my 2v so now I'm just researchin on parts lol.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mercccc
theres a thread somewhere with a gto that had ai 226 heads and eds 232-236 tigershark cam that made amazing power. you have a good game plan going with these guys!
Beat me to it, that cam is a tad bigger on duration I think. The gto guys like it very much. Anyone know the spec differences between the HT and Tiger Shark?
Old 12-11-2012, 02:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

If it were me going with AI heads, Id let them take care of the whole top end. Their packages are really affordable and Phil can reccomend or custom spec something according to your needs/wants. Ive heard good things about Ed as well and a lot of guys on various forums love tickling his ***** but I dont think Id go with Ed unless I was using his ported 243s or going with some AFRs.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:04 PM
On The Tree

Tiger shark is suppose to be an endurance style, very easy on the valve train. Lunati grinds it for him. A friend of mine is running it in his silverado ss.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mac62989
If it were me going with AI heads, Id let them take care of the whole top end. Their packages are really affordable and Phil can reccomend or custom spec something according to your needs/wants. Ive heard good things about Ed as well and a lot of guys on various forums love tickling his ***** but I dont think Id go with Ed unless I was using his ported 243s or going with some AFRs.
Ed has done plenty of custom cams for people running AI heads, so if you choose AI to port your heads, Ed is quite familiar with them.

As for the "ball tickling", it's nice to see someone other than the "usual" cam "gurus" getting their nutts hugged.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:32 PM
On The Tree

Happens every time phoenix. Lol
Old 12-11-2012, 03:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mercccc
Happens every time phoenix. Lol
No ****; I was just waiting for it
Old 12-11-2012, 04:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Ed has done plenty of custom cams for people running AI heads, so if you choose AI to port your heads, Ed is quite familiar with them.

As for the "ball tickling", it's nice to see someone other than the "usual" cam "gurus" getting their nutts hugged.
Did I mention Pat G, Predator Z, or EPS? You gave your opinion, I gave mine. I know theres some of you guys that think Ed is God, which is fine. His track record on LS1GTO speaks for itself. Im also aware that Ed has worked with AI. I dont think Phil at AI is ever mentioned on here for his cam godliness. For the price of AI's pacakges I dont think it can be beat. I know Ed's lobes are made of gold but I dont see the SSHT making all that much more power than Phils 228/232 which would most likely be less aggressive and I know would be softer on the old wallet.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mac62989
Did I mention Pat G, Predator Z, or EPS? You gave your opinion, I gave mine. I know theres some of you guys that think Ed is God, which is fine. His track record on LS1GTO speaks for itself. Im also aware that Ed has worked with AI. I dont think Phil at AI is ever mentioned on here for his cam godliness. For the price of AI's pacakges I dont think it can be beat. I know Ed's lobes are made of gold but I dont see the SSHT making all that much more power than Phils 228/232 which would most likely be less aggressive and I know would be softer on the old wallet.
You didn't have mention them; everyone knew who you meant. I don't doubt for one second that any of those previous mentioned can design and cut a great cam; they all have proven track records on this forum. It's great that there are so many knowledgeable people who we can turn to to help guide us with our builds. I agree that Phil at AI doesn't get much credit in the cam department. I think he would be able to assist the OP with a great head/cam setup. I was just simply stating that it doesn't matter what heads you have (AFR, TFS, PRC, LS6, AI, Livernois, etc.) Ed can design a great cam around whatever heads you have to compliment your setup and goals. What I don't like is how Ed sometimes gets bashed on this forum for his "outside the box" thinking.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:46 PM
On The Tree

Yea i totally get what both of you are sayin! I thought about AI takin care of the whole thing also...but hadn't heard much on their cams. Figured some people had to run them since they have such a wide range of them but no one seems to run them on here.

I definately do agree that AI would probably be easier on the wallet when done as a package though!
Old 12-11-2012, 05:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Well if I was going AFR id call Ed. After seeing Wingham's results it works. Same with Livernois because the cams they stock arent anything to my liking. I just like the idea of AI creating a whole top end package for you. You can get pretty much everything you need to install in one of their packages for a good price and you know the parts will work well together. If I was the OP and dead set on an EDC cam Id consider his ported 243s over AIs.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had the SS in my car, same intake setup and headers, put down 405 rwhp. I like the cam but with stock 3.42 rear it didnt go well together. Any rpm under 1800 it would buck. I couldnt really use 6th gear unless I was going like 80 mph. It was pretty hard to go 5mph in parking lot. Car ran like a raped ape though.

Now compared to my new setup which has a smaller cam and stock ported heads, its like night and day. Car drives like stock, you can lug it, go 5mph and has more power !! My car now on cold roads will lights the tires up at 70 mph in 2nd gear. 55 mph rolling into the throttle its lights them up with ease.

If I were you go the SS HT or go a custom cam by AI.

Any other questions on the SS, let me know.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

Ok awesome see i was wonderin about that streetableness! I mean 405 cam only is sick but if you cant cruise or lug it...what good is it? Thanks for the info!

Quick Reply: Streetsweeper HT to Streetsweeper??