Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you need a lift to take out the engine from the bottom?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 02:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do you need a lift to take out the engine from the bottom?

Ok so after I watched this video couldn't help to think do I really need a lift to take out the engine through the bottom?

Old 12-13-2012, 03:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My buddy just used a cherry picker to lift his body of the k frame...
Old 12-13-2012, 05:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

No lift needed. Just take your time and dbl-chk everything.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used an engine hoist to lift the front of the car, worked well.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

So without a engine hoist how are you going to move the engine once removed?

You need a hoist to put it on a stand, or in the back of a truck to bring to a shop etc.

Don't get me wrong I am fine with manhandling parts, iron block gen 1 and gen 2 stuff friends and I will lift complete shortblocks in and out of trucks and such once on a cradle you can grab, but for a whole engine even an aluminum block one you really need a way to handle it till it is torn down some and has something bolted to it to grab.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

make sure you take a vodeo, ive gotta see this!
Old 12-13-2012, 09:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr

You need a hoist to put it on a stand, or in the back of a truck to bring to a shop etc.

Don't get me wrong I am fine with manhandling parts, iron block gen 1 and gen 2 stuff friends and I will lift complete shortblocks in and out of trucks and such once on a cradle you can grab, but for a whole engine even an aluminum block one you really need a way to handle it till it is torn down some and has something bolted to it to grab.
You roll the k-member with engine and trans out of the way, lower the front end onto some jackstands then re-purpose the hoist to lifting the engine off the k-member.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lift car with engine lift, roll out engine/k-member, lower car onto jacks, use the engine hoist to lift the engine off the k-member to move it wherever.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

For Me considering the fact that You're gonna remove the a/c comp, the power steer pump, the water pump, the alt, the rad, the hood, the trans cross mem, the motor mounts, the wiring harness, the exhaust and the throttle cable if so equipped, drain trans fluid then I would pull engine/trans right out the top as usual. The pow steer pump, a/c comp both get utility wired or plastic wire tied to the fender skirt out of the way. So You tilt the output shaft end of trans down or actually 4 removing You just raise hoist a little then pull hoist/engine/trans forward a little then up a little more then forward a little more n up a little more until the oil pan clears the core support and bam ,,,,,,,,I've always done it this way n never had an issue
Old 12-14-2012, 05:05 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by chrisfrost
For Me considering the fact that You're gonna remove the a/c comp, the power steer pump, the water pump, the alt, the rad, the hood, the trans cross mem, the motor mounts, the wiring harness, the exhaust and the throttle cable if so equipped, drain trans fluid then I would pull engine/trans right out the top as usual. The pow steer pump, a/c comp both get utility wired or plastic wire tied to the fender skirt out of the way. So You tilt the output shaft end of trans down or actually 4 removing You just raise hoist a little then pull hoist/engine/trans forward a little then up a little more then forward a little more n up a little more until the oil pan clears the core support and bam ,,,,,,,,I've always done it this way n never had an issue
See my pic above....yes you have to disconnect AC, PS lines from the car anyway, but you do not have to remove them from the engine first. Or the Alt, or water pump or even remove the hood. Look close and you can see my dolly under the K. The exhaust is only disconnected behind cat. I'll see if I can find a complete dropout pic...
Old 12-14-2012, 05:23 AM
TECH Regular

Here's a bigger pic of same ...
you can see alt, ac, etc still attached to motor. Granted this is LT1, but don't see why it wouldn't work the same with an LS.

You can put a strap, bungee, whatever and pull the upper A arms close to motor and roll the entire assembly out. Another dolly is used under the trans. I don't have a pic of that.

I think the first time I did this, I put the small donut spare tires on, and with a dolly under the trans, it rolled out on the tires.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

You can get a dolly like that from Harbor Freight for $12.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:08 AM
11 Second Club

I read it wrong and didn't watch the video and though he was asking about how to do it without an engine hoist.

Asking about "without a lift" is just silly as most of us do our own engine R&Rs and very very few have car lifts. I say this as someone closer than most to having a lift. I haven't bought a lift yet but the new detached garage is setup for one 10' walls over 13' at center thicker slab.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:06 AM
TECH Regular

Guys, I know it isn't cheap but check out the gantry crane on northern equipment. It's about 700 bucks but worked great for me and now that I have it, I will use it for alot of things. It straddles the vehicle so there is nothing in the way of rolling the drivetrain out from under the car.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have done it with 2 jacks and a dolly. Wasn't pretty but I got the job done. I had to make spacer blocks to go on the jacks so the vehicle would be lifted to the right height.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:55 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by td1168
Guys, I know it isn't cheap but check out the gantry crane on northern equipment. It's about 700 bucks but worked great for me and now that I have it, I will use it for alot of things. It straddles the vehicle so there is nothing in the way of rolling the drivetrain out from under the car.
Have you looked at entry level lifts? a gantry crane is cheaper but a lot less useful. Before I would buy a gantry I would save up a little more for a lift if you have the headroom. Cheap stuff starts $1300-1400 with 7000lbs capacity. Yeah that is twice what the gantry crane cost but think how much more stuff it can help you do.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Have you looked at entry level lifts? a gantry crane is cheaper but a lot less useful. Before I would buy a gantry I would save up a little more for a lift if you have the headroom. Cheap stuff starts $1300-1400 with 7000lbs capacity. Yeah that is twice what the gantry crane cost but think how much more stuff it can help you do.
****, a friend of mine here on Tech, myself, and a couple other friends removed an engine out of a Vette with a $500 lift he found on Craigslist and had setup in his shop in his backyard. Thing worked like a charm
Old 12-14-2012, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two floor jacks and a car wheel dolly for me. Done 3 motors this way, and it works fine. Jackstands and take your time.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:21 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, and once you install the lift it's permanent for the most part. I can take the gantry apart in 15 minutes and take it anywhere. I can lift and move heavy parts around anywhere in a garage. I was comparing this method to cherry pickers and using jacks& jackstands. Not everyone has the means to install a lift in there building space.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A buddy and I just used a small heavy duty pallet and put casters from home depot on the bottom, then raise the car with a come along from a pipe in the ceiling. Works great and you can roll the k member around afterwards.

Quick Reply: Do you need a lift to take out the engine from the bottom?