Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lots of oil on spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 08:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lots of oil on spark plugs

So I pulled the plugs out of my vette today beside it was misfiring really bad and I come to find they are severely covered in oil. The engine is brand new with nothing but some on the stand engine time and a few hard pulls down the street. I am not sure what it might be because I got the heads off of my buddies trans am that had no problems with vale seals or guides and the engine is fresh built so I don't imagine it's rings. Plus it was all the plugs not just one that was covered.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C4 LS1
So I pulled the plugs out of my vette today beside it was misfiring really bad and I come to find they are severely covered in oil. The engine is brand new with nothing but some on the stand engine time and a few hard pulls down the street. I am not sure what it might be because I got the heads off of my buddies trans am that had no problems with vale seals or guides and the engine is fresh built so I don't imagine it's rings. Plus it was all the plugs not just one that was covered.
Some oil consumption is normal particularly on a fresh motor (rings don't always immediately seat). I would throw some new plugs in it and get it up to temp and run it for a bit and see what happens. Being it's a fresh motor it might clear up. Now, if it doesn't then you have some issues someplace. You might have installed the rings wrong or something, but assuming you ensured ring gaps and all are good when assembling I would just throw plugs in it first and run it for a bit and see if it reoccurs.

Also, I see your username is C4 LS1, is this a swapped motor in a C4? If so anything crazy done as far as sensors and such go? It might be running rich and the oil issue is just finishing it off. When I got the LS1 into my S10 it ran super rich when I first got it going and it would kill a set of plugs in 30 minutes. After I get it tuned all was well.

Last edited by kossuth; 01-03-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:29 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So after I pulled my plugs again the other day for a misifre and again cleaned them for oil, I put the rest of the exhaust on because I was diving with open headers. The misfire stopped all together after I drove it for about a mile after the finished exhaust was done. I am not exactly sure how this correlates to misfire and oil on the plugs but my best guess is that the open headers where causing a lean condition for the 02 sensors makeing the engine run really rich causing the misfire and driving it a little bit more caused the rings to seat better stopping flow of oil onto the spark plugs. So maybe this will help someone else eventually.

Thanks kossuth for the reply!! and yes it is a c4 ls1 swapped car. 93'

Quick Reply: Lots of oil on spark plugs