Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Measuring to zero lash with 1.7 rocker arms. Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 01:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Measuring to zero lash with 1.7 rocker arms. Questions...

I need longer pushrods on an engine that I'm building. I'm trying to obtain a measurement to zero lash. Since I am taking a measurement on the valve side with a feeler gauge instead of a PR length checker I would have to divide my measurement by my rocker arm ratio which is 1.7 to get me to my needed measurement of zero lash (or size to increase pr length by)....

Correct?

Last edited by TDCRacing; 01-05-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:35 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TDCRacing
I need longer pushrods on an engine that I'm building. I'm trying to obtain a measurement to zero lash. Since I am taking a measurement on the valve side with a feeler gauge instead of a PR length checker I would have to divide my measurement by my rocker arm ratio which is 1.7 to get me to my needed measurement of zero lash (or size to increase pr length by)....

Correct?
I am not sure, I have never done it this way. How short or how much preload do you have NOW with a stock length pushrod?
Old 01-05-2013, 05:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TDCRacing

Correct?
Yes, if you are using say 0.010" feeler gauge for zero lash, then the difference in motion at the pushrod end is 0.010/1.7 = 0.006" that needs to be added to the final pushrod length to take out the clearance you have established with the feeler gauge.

I like to lift the rocker tip to get zero lash rather than try to rotate the pushrod end. Just gently lift it until the "tick" "tick" just disappears. (If you lift to hard on a dry lifter it will actually depress the plunger in the lifter.) Then you can cross check with the value you get with the feeler gauge.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

These engines are not like small block Chevys that used zero-lash hydraulic lifters ,,,,,,,,,,these have .060-.080" of pre-load so You really need a push rod checker to measure with for what You need ,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 01-09-2013, 07:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisfrost
These engines are not like small block Chevys that used zero-lash hydraulic lifters ,,,,,,,,,,these have .060-.080" of pre-load so You really need a push rod checker to measure with for what You need ,,,,,,,,,,,
Even though the use the exact same lifter....

It is the same, except your setting preload with the length of the pushrod rather than the adjuster nut.

Since the ls has net lash rockers, they are torqued to spec.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I understand that but the pre-load is how much the piston in the lifter is depressed and unlike small block chevy 1st gen which have zero pre-load, LS based gen 3 / 4 have pre-load
Old 01-12-2013, 07:14 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by chrisfrost
I understand that but the pre-load is how much the piston in the lifter is depressed and unlike small block chevy 1st gen which have zero pre-load, LS based gen 3 / 4 have pre-load
I see you've never built a small block Chevy...
Old 01-14-2013, 05:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

You've got to be kidding Me ,,,,,,right ,,,,,,,,,You're going to let a word interpretation error or a lack of communication sway You're opinion about someone ,,,,,,,,,,Me ? ,,,,,,,Wow ,,,,,,,,,,I really have no reason to explain My credentials so good luck with the language
Old 01-14-2013, 07:31 AM
12 Second Club

I'm not doubting your credentials, just pointing out that you are in fact...wrong on this.

When you're setting the valves on a small block Chevy, you tighten the rocker nut until you find zero lash. Then go half to 3/4 turn more. That is preload on the lifters.

Quick Reply: Measuring to zero lash with 1.7 rocker arms. Questions...