Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Diagnose this Exhaust Smoke

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 05:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help Diagnose this Exhaust Smoke

Recently I have noticed my car is "smoking" out of the exhaust. I have read up on this subject which people suggest the car is either burning coolant or oil. People who suggest coolant burning also say a symptom is a huge cloud of white smoke behind the car, especially when flooring it, which is not happening. People who suggest burning oil say the smoke should have a blue tint or smell like burning oil, which I can not tell either. The exhaust honestly just smells like gas, which considering I have LTs, no cats and a dumped muffler, is no surprise. I am hoping it is just a freak amount of condensation. Only other notes is that in about 5500 miles it used a little over a quart of oil and the coolant level was about a half inch below the full cold line, the oil looks fine as far as I can tell, it is definitely not milky. It only uses Mobil 1 5w-30, which I change every 5-6000 miles.

Here is a video (sorry it is sideways) of the "smoking" I am referring to. Right before the video I had the car running and no smoke was coming out of the exhaust, I gave it a little gas and then it started smoking again. Outside temp was about 50*, car was about 150-160 according to the temp gauge. I looked again after this video when the car was fully warmed up and it was still doing it some but not as much.

http://s844.beta.photobucket.com/use...154-1.mp4.html

Any and all help will be much appreciated, and if anyone needs more info just let me know, I will be checking this frequently.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's hard to tell, but it looks like it has a blueish tint to it. Maybe bad valve seals??
Old 01-19-2013, 07:33 PM
Teching In

Oil smoke lingers, this doesn't.
Condensation I would say. If you drive it 15-20 miles, should be gone.
If still there after the drive, then I would pull the spark plugs and look for the 'cleanest' plug. This would be the cylinder with a coolant leak.
One qt in 5500 miles is not bad, nothing I would worry about.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cant see the video, but it doesnt sound like much... if you want to be certain borrow, rent, or buy a leakdown tester.

One quart in 5500 miles on an ls1 is pretty damn good imo. My cylinders have 3% leakdown and my catch can has only a drop or two and thats just a bit more than what I use.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

During the winter months you're going to get more condensation in the engine and exhaust, and if the air's cold enough when you start you car up it'll do that just from the temperature difference. IMO, I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:00 PM
Staging Lane

Change the fuel filter
Old 01-20-2013, 10:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

The blueish tint I believe is just a lighting anomaly, I noticed it when watching the video as well, it is completely white. Why do you suggest changing the fuel filter? Also just to confirm if it was coolant wouldn't it produce more smoke when I gas it? From what I saw it completely went away when I gave it some gas.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:04 PM
Staging Lane

I had same problem in my car and changing the fuel filter cured the problem and made it whisper quiet.

Quick Reply: Help Diagnose this Exhaust Smoke