Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam and Stall

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 12:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam and Stall

I'm looking to spend under 3k with install and tune, and want to add as much HP as possible without nitrous.
Currently have a 00 Trans Am with LT headers, ORY, cat back, CAI. I'm looking at adding Cam (Torquer V3), 3500 stall, ls2 timing chain, ls6 oil pump. (around $1700 for these parts plus install and tune) My question is, will I see good gains keeping the stock throttle body and intake or do those need to be upgraded also? That's another 1k that I don't want to spend right now. Is there something else I should do before the cam/stall? I'm thinking I would see more gains spending 1k on cam than 1k on intake, is that correct?
Old 01-29-2013, 12:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you def need at least an ls6 intake, a FAST if you can swing it. the stock TB is ok, but you may consider having it ported. you dont need to spend $400+ on a damn TB
Old 01-29-2013, 02:46 PM
Teching In

Could I get by without the torque converter then? The ls6 intakes are $500. That seems like a lot for 10-15whp.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:06 PM
Teching In

Right now, I'm just using street tires, so I'm guessing the torque converter will just make me spin more. I'm thinking for the next batch of upgrades after the cam and intake, I could do a torque converter, rear end, and drag radials, and maybe gears?
Old 01-29-2013, 03:26 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

There is no point in installing a cam without a torque converter. Especially one like the Torquer.

I don't see how you're going to make out with cam and stall installed and tuned by a speed shop for 3k let alone under 3k. I'm not trying to burst your bubble, just providing some enlightenment.

If you did it yourself in your garage you could do the cam, the stall and a nice used Fast intake/throttle body set-up for right around 3k after gaskets, bolts, timing chains, oil pump etc.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:44 PM
Teching In

All the parts without intake come out less than $1700, that leaves $1300 for install and tune so it should be close. I guess I should just save the extra $500 for ls6 intake first. If I go up to the fast 92 intake, that will require a different tb than stock, correct?
Old 01-30-2013, 03:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Dude $500 for an ls6 is a rip off. You can get those $300 shipped all day long.

Also, expect tuning to set you back $500

And cam with no converter is a no no. It will push through your brakes and be a total bitch to drive.
Expect about $700-/+ for a stall depending on what you want.

My old 99 trans am had ligenfelter ported heads, tsp 228R and a custom built performabuilt 9.5" 3000 stall converter, 3.23 gears and it was a really nice street car. I jever had it dynoed or properly tuned, it was going off a mail order tune.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:38 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

If you can do all that for under 3k at a speed shop with a tune and all required fluids, gaskets and bolts...I will shake your hand personally. Please don't take my posts as being an *******, even though it probably seems that way. I'm just trying to bring you up to speed on what it's going to cost. When I first started working @Tick I was blown away by how quickly the bill could rack up and I even questioned the numbers a lot of times and did the math 3-4 times to make sure it was correct because I couldn't believe the end number.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can get a mail order tune from Frost for $150 .you can exchange your stock TB for a ported TB for $60,worth 5 hp.you can find used ls6 intakes for $300 on this forum.a used BBK ls1 intake will make a little more power then a ls6 intake for the same $300.check Texas Speed for prices on a torquer 3 cam pkg,cam ,springs,push rods.you will need a cam swap gasket kit also.check ls1howto.com ,maybe you can do the cam swap yourself.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 182 Likes on 141 Posts

A stall is an absolute must in an auto car. It should be the first mod before anything in my opinion. just like stated above you need a stall in a car before a cam especially a cam of that size. You could get away with runing the stock tb and ls1 intake for now if you have to. You will see more gain with the cam and stall then with the intake and cam or intake and stall. Then when you have the money pop an intake and tb on there with a retune. $3000 you are pushing it for everything. Remember a dyno tune is 400-500 alone.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:58 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Screw the cam, put a nice converter in, 3.73's, and a tune.. And you'll be set, save for the other stuff.. A torque converter will deliver more ET per dollar than any camshaft.. It's the heart and soul of any combo with a auto.. Spend the $$$ there. You won't be disappointed...
Old 01-31-2013, 06:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Even if you don't want to tackle a cam swap.. Learn how to swap an intake and TB... I'll be damned if I ever pay someone to do that.

ls1howto.com has VERY detailed write ups.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lemons12
Even if you don't want to tackle a cam swap.. Learn how to swap an intake and TB... I'll be damned if I ever pay someone to do that.

ls1howto.com has VERY detailed write ups.
From what I've heard a little patience and care are the best tools for an intake swap, if you have those it isn't that bad.

If you don't want to do it yourself, just ask a friend that's done it to do it for you as a favor. Half of my stuff was done by friends that had more experience/tools than me. I think the running total is under $100 for long tube header and ory install, serpentine belt and install, maf cleaner, phb, checking leaks, welding in sfc's, and installing trans cooler. Oh and $140 I spent for a pair of NIB lca's that I bought from a friend who then installed them in his driveway.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:19 AM
Teching In

Ok, so maybe I'll wait on the cam and get a converter. I can get a 3500 on Texas Speed for $600. I can get an intake/tb and do that myself, then get it tuned. I will save up and do cam later on. If so, is 3500 stall good for now and later on when I get a cam? For intake, is the best the fast 92 with 92mm tb? Will this be a good combo until I get a cam? Is the fast 92 worth the money?
Old 01-31-2013, 07:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Before you let go of your $$ PLAN carefully.
Running a cam like TV3 on stock stall is about the biggest mistake you can make. I agree with previous posters that a stall is needed first.
Also if you DD your car regularly, I would consider a TV2 instead on a 111 LSA. TSP can cut it and it will be more friendly on your valve-train. LSK lobes are murder on the street, and throwing such high lift on stock heads is like throwing pebbles at a concrete wall, pointless.
Basically in your excitement you are committing massive mistakes that will leave you disappointed eventually.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

OP if you are around indianapolis id be more than happy to help you switch intakes or whatever else ypu want to do. Its not hard and ive done it my fair share of times too.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

When i was learning... My older experienced buddies cut me good deals especially if i bought their parts on installs.. My deal was i wanted to be there as a "gofer". Id grab wrenches etc for them but i also did some work and watched and learned. I assembled my 370 long block myself in my garage and am installing it. You gotta start somewhere. I still ask for help when i need it but questions are farther between, i can figure most things out just by looking at it. TONS of info on this site to help out too.
Get to know the right people on here.. I have 4-5 cell numbers from grudge racers to sponsors that i can text any time and they will spend an hour on the phone with me discussing things helping out etc..
Old 01-31-2013, 08:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by lemons12
When i was learning... My older experienced buddies cut me good deals especially if i bought their parts on installs.. My deal was i wanted to be there as a "gofer". Id grab wrenches etc for them but i also did some work and watched and learned. I assembled my 370 long block myself in my garage and am installing it. You gotta start somewhere. I still ask for help when i need it but questions are farther between, i can figure most things out just by looking at it. TONS of info on this site to help out too.
Get to know the right people on here.. I have 4-5 cell numbers from grudge racers to sponsors that i can text any time and they will spend an hour on the phone with me discussing things helping out etc..

Same here with the exception of a 370 vs 408

Its great to learn to do some of this on your own, it can save A LOT of money and time. I do EVERYTHING myself with the exception of tuning.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go with atleat a 3800 stall.. i would just spend the money on a fast intake rather than a LS6 intake.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tainted
Same here with the exception of a 370 vs 408

Its great to learn to do some of this on your own, it can save A LOT of money and time. I do EVERYTHING myself with the exception of tuning.
O yea.. Well... Well... I have more compression!!!!!

Quick Reply: Cam and Stall