Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rod knock or flywheel loud tapping.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 04:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rod knock or flywheel loud tapping.

Ok so last night I hit my oil pan on a bump and cracked it. Took it home epoxied and filled her up there was a tapping noise I drove down the street then back and it went away...ok great. Drove to work and it shut off all on its knocking really loud. Now this noise is very familiar. I had the noise before and it went away automatically and never came back till now(6months ago). Now I diagnosed the loud tapping noise was my flywheel, clutch or something in that general area. I have the new clutch and all I just haven't had time to pull the tranny to install the new clutch and slave. Anyone help me with this? Is it rod knock or is it(what I'm hoping) my clutch/slave. Noise is coming from this general area

Old 01-29-2013, 04:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1st off you have a manual its a pressure plate and I have never heard of them cracking and making a rod knock noise like an auto with a flywheel. I have heard a cracked flywheel and it does sound like a rod knock. I doubt you have a cracked lpressure plate but anythings possible.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JRENIGAR
1st off you have a manual its a pressure plate and I have never heard of them cracking and making a rod knock noise like an auto with a flywheel. I have heard a cracked flywheel and it does sound like a rod knock. I doubt you have a cracked lpressure plate but anythings possible.
Ok thanks and it's coming more so from the upper side of the motor(can't distinguish. And I can hear where exactly it's coming from. And the knock/tap/bang is really loud and distinct. But can a rod knock go away and come back? It sounds like the exact same noise 6 months ago. And it just went away all by itself.

Quick Reply: Rod knock or flywheel loud tapping.