Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 ls camaro wont crank...

Old 02-06-2013, 03:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 ls camaro wont crank...

Okay so hears the story i just got done building my 5.3 block to go back into my 02 camaro. I've rotated this block to make sure everything was good and it rotated perfectly no problems at all now that it is in the car i can even get the block to rotate over with the breaker bar and it barely rotates with the engine trying to start. Initially it did start once then kinda died and i didn't think much of it i did prime the system before the initial start. The battery definitely has enough voltage so that's not the problem i pulled the spark plugs out today and i still cant rotate by hand I'm just kinda confused on where to go next. Im sure someone else has experienced this before and i would appreciate any and all help thanks guys.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds to me like you are going to be pulling it out to look inside
Old 02-06-2013, 04:04 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1,116 Likes on 615 Posts

If you are sure its a mechanical issue and not a electrical issue pull your timing cover to confirm the marks are still lining up on the cam and crank sprockets. There is a chance it jumped time if the pin holding the tensioner was accidently left in. Then loosen each one of the rockers that is compressed to close the valve and try rotating by hand. If the engine rotates with the closed valves then you should pull the heads and check for damages since you started the engine.

800-230-3030
www.SummitRacing.com
Old 02-06-2013, 09:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow a lot if drastic diagnostic measures posted above, since you mentioned it turned over fine prior to installation, here are a few things I would check first, is it a standard? Are you sure you put the clutch disc in properly? Is it an automatic? Are you sure the torque converter is properly seated? Did you have any issues when you mated the engine to the transmission?

Are all your belt driven accessories in good shape? Have you spun the tensioner pulley, idler pulley, power steering pump pulley, alternator pulley, water pump pulley? All of what I mentioned has the possibilities of not letting a motor turn over, and are much easier to check than opening up the engine to check internals.

Last edited by lizeec; 02-06-2013 at 09:59 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you make sure to ground the engine upon install? You said it started up and then died correct?
Old 02-07-2013, 05:13 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if your ride is a automatic make sure you torque converter in fully engaged into the front pump of the transmission, if its not droped in all the way it will get hung up causing the engine to feel as if it seized
Old 02-07-2013, 05:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lizeec
Wow a lot if drastic diagnostic measures posted above, since you mentioned it turned over fine prior to installation, here are a few things I would check first, is it a standard? Are you sure you put the clutch disc in properly? Is it an automatic? Are you sure the torque converter is properly seated? Did you have any issues when you mated the engine to the transmission?

Are all your belt driven accessories in good shape? Have you spun the tensioner pulley, idler pulley, power steering pump pulley, alternator pulley, water pump pulley? All of what I mentioned has the possibilities of not letting a motor turn over, and are much easier to check than opening up the engine to check internals.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:43 PM
Launching!

i have a feeling it something to do with the converter
Old 02-07-2013, 06:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Red face What I'm thinking..

Originally Posted by monte383sbc
i have a feeling it something to do with the converter
too.
Verter was not in the pump, you started it, broke the pump, the pump parts have locked the converter.
Unbolt the converter, turn free now????
Old 02-10-2013, 02:16 PM
Launching!

soo did you figure this out?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 02 ls camaro wont crank...