Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low oil pressure after clutch install???

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 04:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Low oil pressure after clutch install???

I took my car to a mechanic to get a new clutch installed. It took quite a while to finish up since I had to wait for the clutch to be delivered plus the mechanic re surfaced the input shaft since it looked a bit worn. The whole process took around 2 weeks without starting the car.

Anyway, when it was all said and done, the mechanic started her up and told me he was getting very low oil pressure. It's reading around 10 psi. Prior to the clutch install, the car was running just fine. So he did An oil change and told me the oil was pretty dirty and he found what seemed to be paper bits in the oil.
After the oil change he told me the oil pressure climbed back up to normal and after a quick test drive it seemed fine again. But then as he was moving the car outside the shop, the pressure dropped back down.

Could it be the oil pump that went bad all of a sudden?
Old 02-06-2013, 04:33 PM
TECH Addict

Btw this is on a 98 ls1 with t56 around 100k miles. Bolt on car with monster stage 2 clutch
Old 02-06-2013, 07:23 PM
TECH Addict

Any ideas?
Old 02-06-2013, 07:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paper bits in the oil sound like filter media (filter disintegrated). Could be that the oil passage to the sensor is clogged with that paper debris. Since the pump was working before the install and nothing touched it (I assume...), I can't see it just magically 'going bad'.

Have him check the oil again (could still have junk in the pan/system).

It's a pain but he may need to pull the oil pressure sensor and blow out the passage (which will probably require pulling the intake manifold). There is an oil galley plug on the drivers side at the back of the block. He could pull that and blow air down through the oil pressure sensor hole.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:45 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks. He already did 2 oil changes and even removed the oil pan to inspect and clean it.

I was doing some researching and read about the oil pressure sensor and how they are pretty easy to damage and break. I know it's a little far off but do you think it could've gotten damaged while pulling the transmission for the clutch install?
Old 02-06-2013, 07:52 PM
TECH Veteran

"Possible", sure, anything is "possible" (he could have yanked the engine down and smacked the sensor against the firewall).

"Likely", not really... I have broken them before, but that was hitting it with an intake. If it were "broken" I don't think you would get any signal/pressure and you would have an oil leak. Easy to check though (reach behind the manifold and see if it is intact.

You mentioned he pulled the pan, did he remove the pickup tube? The O-rings on the pickup tube (tube-to-pump) are notorious for getting damaged or being pinched when installing the pickup tube. This can cause all kinds of problems. BUT, that would not explain the good/bad/good/bad/etc you are having.

If I were to bet, I still think it's the oil sensor passage clogged.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks man, this was helpful.

Ill ask my mechanic if he checked the o-ring and/or removed the pickup tube.

Ill talk to him tomorrow and try to update this thread.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Zlow28
Thanks man, this was helpful.

Ill ask my mechanic if he checked the o-ring and/or removed the pickup tube.

Ill talk to him tomorrow and try to update this thread.
Hope it helps. There is an explanation somewhere. Oil pumps don't just "die" sitting in a shop. Either it would be worn out and have been showing signs for a while, or it would fail completely and you'd have zero pressure.

edit: As soon as I walked away I got to thinking (back recesses of my mind remembering things). I remember people having issues with the bypass getting jammed open (to varying degrees) and that causing issues. If you had a bunch of trash in your oil, has certainly gone through the pump. Mention that to your mechanic tomorrow. The bypass plunger and spring can be removed and cleaned. The plunger should move freely in the bore.

Last edited by 2001CamaroGuy; 02-06-2013 at 10:14 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:10 PM
TECH Addict

would an internal problem cause it to work properly for a while and then loose pressure again after a trst drive?

Im starting to suspect it might be internal damage since he told me the engine oil was really dirty.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:15 PM
TECH Veteran

would an internal problem cause it to work properly for a while and then loose pressure again after a trst drive?

Im starting to suspect it might be internal damage since he told me the engine oil was really dirty.

No. If you have internal damage (ie: worn/trashed bearings), the damage is done. It will have low oil pressure from then on (it won't come and go).

read my note about the oil pump bypass
Old 02-06-2013, 10:28 PM
TECH Addict

i just saw your edit. Is this the plunge youre talking about?

If so, ill go check it out tomorrow.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:29 PM
FormerVendor

Did he remove the rear engine cover for any reason? If so, he could have pushed in the barbell flush, causing oil pressure issues.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:30 PM
FormerVendor

i just saw your edit. Is this the plunge youre talking about?

If so, ill go check it out tomorrow.
Yes, Thats the exact plunger/barbell. They need to be installed just above flush. Around .080" if I remember correctly.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:34 PM
TECH Addict

Im not 100% sure if he removed the rear engine cover. He did remove the transmission but im not sure if it has anything to do with the engine cover.

ill ask him and hopefuly its something simple like this.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:20 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check the oil pressure sender behind the intake it could have got damaged, they break all the time
Old 02-07-2013, 08:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Ask him if he packed grease to remove the pilot bearing instead of pulling it out with a blind hole puller...

If he packed grease and knocked it out, he probably knocked out another plug in the block causing internal bleeding.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:38 AM
TECH Veteran

No, I was talking about this plug (on the bottom of the pump where the spring is sticking out in the picture):

I considered the barbell plug in the back of the block but would be surprised if that is it. You didn't mention any oil leaks and the mechanic would have had no reason (would have been foolish) to take the rear cover off just to change a clutch. Now if he also replaced your rear main seal, then he might have removed the cover and thus pushed the barbell in too far. But that still would not explain why the pressure went bad, then good, then back to bad.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:06 PM
TECH Addict

I didnt get a chance to talk meet up with the mechanic yesterday but i did today.

2001camaroguy the plug youre talking about was starting to go bad on the oil pump. But he had already bought a new oil pump and it started working fine again. He told me the pressure went higher than it used to but not too high, but then after it warmed up, it dropped back down.

There are no oil leaks and he didnt remove the rear engine cover. He told me he checked and cleaned the oil pickup tube and o-rings.
He also mentioned hearing a tick noise on the valvetrain. He kinda described it as a lifter tick. (im not sure if its part of the low oil pressure)

So now my question is what would cause low oil pressure when warm?

I almost forgot to add, that he thinks the problem is with something that goes attached to the cam. He told me the name of the piece but in spanish and i dont know spanish parts very well. Any ideas?
Old 02-08-2013, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what psi did it drop back down to after the ump install? 10psi 30psi 45psi?
Old 02-08-2013, 07:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by poltergeist 02
what psi did it drop back down to after the ump install? 10psi 30psi 45psi?
Back to 10 psi.

Quick Reply: Low oil pressure after clutch install???