See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Engine Problems by Sympton
Print Wikipost

Engine diagnostic coach needed

Old 02-07-2013, 01:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine diagnostic coach needed

I know we beat this to death and I'm sorry, but searched til I'm blue in the face. My car, 2002 camaro SS with LS1 and 117000 miles, no real mods except the previous owners HPTuner and stainless exhaust, SLP Blackwing...Since I bought it about approx 9000 miles ago the first oil change by the Chevrolet dealer started hearing the dreaded clacking, ticking, knocking, sewing machine sound. They said no problems. Changed again 3000 miles later and again same sounds and they said no issues found. So I changed it myself yesterday. ( castrol 5w-30 and mid value filter) sounded worse. Changed today(valvoline 10w-30, wix filter and Lucas oil additive.) sounds bad still. Probably hypochondriac, but need some coaching from the pros. Oil each time drained looked clean albeit the last change from dealer looks black with 2500 miles. Probably normal. Sounds worse after small rev (2500ish) while idles back. While you read this, ill be trying to post the video. Please go easy on me. Any help would be appreciated. New to hot cars and learning everyday.
Thanks, Alan
Old 02-07-2013, 02:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

1.Cut the filter open. DO NOT use a hacksaw.[Use a filter cutter or a tin snips.] It may be that the debris is caught in the filter, and is not visible to the naked eye.
2. Have an oil sample done. Not expensive.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:11 PM
Teching In

thanks for the reply Old Geezer. I did cut the filter open. (with tin snips) and saw nothing out of the ordinary. No Shavings, bearings or metal of any sort. Also swished a magnet around in the oil with no luck. Where would i take the oil for analysis? I did save it covered. Still trying to get the phone video loaded. Probably be helpful to someone. thanks again
Alan
Old 02-07-2013, 03:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

I put Mobil 1 High Mileage in mine and use AC Delco filter. Are there any shavings on the end of oil plug?
Old 02-07-2013, 03:33 PM
Teching In

No. No shavings on the plug. Started it just now and sounds worse than ever. Sounds clearer from under car. Maybe on passenger side. As it idles, a little more lope to it. And never noticed slight smoke from tailpipe. Greek tragedy goin on here.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:47 PM
Teching In

Here is a video link I think

Old 02-07-2013, 03:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Any SES light? I'd say check valve train first. Is it manual?
Old 02-07-2013, 03:55 PM
Teching In

No warning lights. It's an automatic. Until today, I felt like the noise went away with Revs. Seem to quit or lessen a lot at 2000 rpms. But when it idles back is when it sounds worse. Which makes since when I start it for a few seconds sound ok until it throttles back then starts the chatter.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:27 PM
Teching In

Try again on underside video

Old 02-07-2013, 04:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Midlife crisis
If you want to bring it to my house Sunday, I'll listen to it and give you my opinion. I'm about an hour from you.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:57 PM
Teching In

Would love someone to look at it but afraid to even drive it now for fear of it becoming a bigger problem. iDK. Work the weekend shift this week and going to be problems if it's bad. Wonder if putting the Lucas ol stabilizer in it was a good idea now. Stuff was like honey. But oil pressure seems OK. May end up messaging you. Thanks for the offer to complete stranger anyhow.
Alan
Old 02-07-2013, 05:23 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like a lifter issue or a bent push rod, did u ever hit rev limiter hard or really rev the engine high?
Old 02-07-2013, 05:32 PM
Teching In

I kicked a few times but most of my friends feel I drive like a "grandma" I can only think of once I really pushed it on an open stretch from stop to 100 mph. But ran fine after that. Seems every oil change it's worse. Don't know how that would affect it. Been letting it warm up every morning for 15 minutes or so because of the cooler temps and felt that is why I see a big drop in gas mileage. Was getting 21-22 in the summer. Seems now it is 40-50 mile per tank short on the last few fill ups. Maybe part of the problem .???..
Old 02-07-2013, 05:41 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Something that *may* help you, as I had this issue with mine before I built my motor:

Have you tried Castrol Edge? The GOLD bottle with the Titanium? I know it sounds nuts, but I swapped from Mobil1 to that oil in my LQ9 Escalade and it made the motor almost dead silent. I then swapped it in the Camaro and it was a no **** night and day difference.

Just food for thought.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:44 PM
Teching In

@ dr_ whigam. I'll try anything. Changed the oil twice in 2 days because of all the posts I read. Oil change def better than tear motor down.
Alan
Old 02-07-2013, 06:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Exhaust leak causing the noise and the O2 sensor are getting false air, causing the mileage drop.....???
Old 02-07-2013, 07:26 PM
Teching In

@Old Geezer. Don't know enough to dispute that. Sure sounds internal to my unknowing ears. Read several posts about the union of the headers and the exhaust, will check that in the AM. Wish it would be that simple. Put thicker oil in this time and sound is way worse. May have to find a mechanic to diagnose in person. Hate to do it but may go back to thinner oil, change again, see if that helps get back to where it was. I have a lot to learn. Still love the car though nd will try to limit the financial lessons. Thanks
Old 02-08-2013, 12:19 PM
Teching In

Put dr_wigham recomendation of oil in, did sound much quieter especially after warm up. Saw a mechanic, of course it was a lot quieter, he said probably a lifter sticking and the fresh oil may break it loose. Took to Chevrolet dealer, used stethoscopes and looked at for at least an hour and said slight noise in lifters and a small amount of piston slap. Checked timing belt back lash with steth. for when it winds down from a rev. It was fine: said that the replacement of parts would probably not cause much change and would be little if any value for cost. And it should be fine. It is a lot better for now. Thanks for all the input. I'll continue to study and learn.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:26 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Hope you get it all sorted out eventually brother. I've still got a bit of piston slap too, even with the new valvetrain and all. It's just something to live with. It really is a bit crazy though how good that oil really is at quieting down our cars...
Old 02-08-2013, 01:56 PM
Teching In

It certainly was better than what was in there. I appreciate the tip. I had read in my searching another post about the titanium additive in it. Don't know what it has t do with anything but I'm changing my truck to that oil until I learn better. This quick but intense problem made me realize how vulnerable to a major break down in either of my rides my family is and need to work hard to have funds, alternatives and knowledge on to hand to be prepared. Again thanks fr the help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine diagnostic coach needed