Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam bearing help/opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 04:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam bearing help/opinions

I just changed cam bearings in my 4.8, i used the durabond bearings i have a universal cam bearing tool that ive used before, ive installed a few sets of cam bearing's and never had any problems. I put them in the order the box said to do. I got them all in and tried to test fit my cam after covering it in assembly lube and it went fine till i got the number 1 and 5 bearing and it did not want to turn anymore. After i did finally get it in the all the way i could not turn the cam by hand so i stuck a wrench on the cam gear and it turns free like its supposed to once you get it spinning but if you stop you have to apply alotta force to get it spinning again, Could this be because the bearings are to tight on the cam and while its spining the lube is between the bearing and cam better?? the cam is not bent and the lobes are fine and i cant see anything wrong inside the cam bearings, What would you guys do?
Old 02-08-2013, 05:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by huggerorange69
I just changed cam bearings in my 4.8, i used the durabond bearings i have a universal cam bearing tool that ive used before, ive installed a few sets of cam bearing's and never had any problems. I put them in the order the box said to do. I got them all in and tried to test fit my cam after covering it in assembly lube and it went fine till i got the number 1 and 5 bearing and it did not want to turn anymore. After i did finally get it in the all the way i could not turn the cam by hand so i stuck a wrench on the cam gear and it turns free like its supposed to once you get it spinning but if you stop you have to apply alotta force to get it spinning again, Could this be because the bearings are to tight on the cam and while its spining the lube is between the bearing and cam better?? the cam is not bent and the lobes are fine and i cant see anything wrong inside the cam bearings, What would you guys do?
i had this EXACT same problem when i got my engine back from the machine shop. i couldn't even get the cam past the 3 bearing. i brought it to the machine shop and he took some crocus cloth to the bearings and my cam slid right in. knock the bearings out and give it a quick rub and you'll be fine
Old 02-08-2013, 06:21 PM
Banned

Proper thing to do is to fit the bearing clearance to the cam journals!
Old 02-08-2013, 07:05 PM
Staging Lane

Ill give it a try thanks
Old 02-08-2013, 07:15 PM
Banned

PLEASE DON"T! You need proper tools and knowledge to properly fit a cam. Go find professional help.

Quick Reply: cam bearing help/opinions