Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally pulling the trigger on parts!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 06:32 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

That's if I do a stock rebuild. If I go 383 I'll definitely get dished or reliefs. But I don't really want to mill the heads anymore because of the port match on the intake. And I'm pretty much right where I want to be compression wise. So I doubt I'd go bigger on the cam... But who knows. The Diamond/Compstar combo would be overkill for my combo, but I could definitely add some nitrous down the road with those goodies in there.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go with the 383!! Your engine will be mostly stripped down with the H/C swap anyway.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:41 AM
Super Hulk Smash

That's true. Or a 370... Iron block with 4" bore. That'd make some power.

Decisions. The 370 might be the cheapest option too.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:54 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Hmm. Yes.

The 370 looks like the best option. I can keep everything in my combo the same, but I pick up 25ci of displacement (and more importantly - bore!) and will end up with 11.6:1 and 8.7:1 DCR with a .030" quench area and a ton of PtV clearance. It'll also allow me to run nitrous without too much worry.

I've asked for a couple of quotes, but so far, LME has given me the best feedback with their 370 using a new 6L block, Wiseco pistons and NPR rings, Compstar rods, Clevite bearings, and ARP Main Studs.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Great build. It's interesting that Geoff went to Cam Motion. I've been told for a couple years Comp stuff has gone down hill. I didn't have my EPS cam doctored and I wonder if I should.

Keep us updated.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:12 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Might be worth it. Cam Motion cam doctors their cams before shipment as standard practice. Mine spec'd out to 230.2 and 234.6 on a 114.1.

So, pretty good.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd wait till the rear blows too unless you have the funds now. I've been pushing well over 400 rwhp through my 10bolt on a M6 for 2 years on 315 dr's. The only reason i really want to change it now is because I want 390's and overlooked a torque arm in my build. There just a big nut all at once....f'ing GM for these shitty rears.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:55 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Yeah, I don't plan to replace it until it explodes. I'd rather build up the Engine and Transmission first. Since if they go, it could take out a lot of other expensive stuff.

If the 10-bolt goes, I'll just get stranded.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:13 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Anybody have any luck running the CHE Bushed LS Rockers? As opposed to the Comp Trunion upgrade?
Old 04-03-2013, 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There was a thread that mentioned them a while back. I think it was $420 for the upgrade using your stock rockers, and supposedly there has never been a failure of the CHE ones. Kinda steep, but might be worth it for peace of mind.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

they seem to be incredibly expensive for what they are...and you're still side loading the valves.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:27 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ckpitt55
they seem to be incredibly expensive for what they are...and you're still side loading the valves.
They are expensive, but it still amazes me that no one has built a good roller tip rocker for around 400-500 bucks. There have either been rocker arms cracking in half, or problems with stability in the higher RPMs. Incredible that upgraded stockers are still the best option in this price point.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:27 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Yeah, seems like everything that's even remotely decent is super over priced.

And to get away from side loading would mean a step up to $1500+ Jesels. There's almost no chance I'd go with YTs. Blah. At least I'm at .600" lift, so it shouldn't be too bad.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:30 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Grimes
They are expensive, but it still amazes me that no one has built a good roller tip rocker for around 400-500 bucks. There have either been rocker arms cracking in half, or problems with stability in the higher RPMs. Incredible that upgraded stockers are still the best option in this price point.
yella terra has resolved their previous problems with their rev 3 version of the ultralite 1.7's. tony mamo uses and recommends them almost exclusively. i don't believe he would do this if they were suspect in any way.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:30 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Originally Posted by Grimes
The Comp Pro Magnum RRs for SBC are good. Too bad they don't make them for the LS1. They are steel and lightweight - pretty much like the stock rockers.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:13 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ckpitt55
yella terra has resolved their previous problems with their rev 3 version of the ultralite 1.7's. tony mamo uses and recommends them almost exclusively. i don't believe he would do this if they were suspect in any way.
Interesting, how much are these? I am just scared to be a guinea pig.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:26 AM
Super Hulk Smash

About $430 or so.

One problem people had with YT was running way too much valvespring on them. That's why they were breaking. Aluminum lightweight design, high open spring pressure, and the stresses of driving for many miles on the street... well, yeah. They give up.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
About $430 or so.

One problem people had with YT was running way too much valvespring on them. That's why they were breaking. Aluminum lightweight design, high open spring pressure, and the stresses of driving for many miles on the street... well, yeah. They give up.
I don't really think that was the case in their failures....they had a batch a while back that had the push rod cups cut incorrectly during machining and the section of metal surrounding the bearing area was too thin. That combination caused the bearing housing or cup area to crack. I'll see if I can find the thread.

edit: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...und-2-a-2.html
edit 2: response from YT in this thread: http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330375

edit 3:

Hi Guys,

As promised ..Weve done our CSI and have following information to provide. I'll follow the QA format request posted earlier

1) What has your team determined is the root cause of the problem?

The root cause was a process and inspection issue.

In November/Dec 2008 we purchased a new HAAS to increase our production capacity to three machining centres making the LS arms. All three machines output ( ie arms ) are conveyed to a single rumbler for finishing. On initial production of the HAAS, the pushrod cup was machined out of spec on some of the LS1 arms (only the 1.7 YT6645). The Ratio is fine but the PR hole diameter was incorrect.

This new HAAS produced arms overnight that got mixed in with the other arms from our existing machines- thus the difficulty in traceability. The team concluded that its a small batch of arms machined with insufficient radius in a critical load area caused by incorrect tooling supply. From Production to assembly to sea freight to the USA and then to US distributors - takes three to four months ( thus the April 2009 time frame)

Our inspection procedure is 20 every 100 arms……weve since increased this to 25 every 100 arms with a change in the number of checks. (see below)

2) Is it a process, materials, or inspection issue?

Isolated it to a process and inspection….it is not material

3) Have you isolated the problem to a lot, production run, etc?
Yes – a small batch but as this item does not have batch segregation after quality inspection we can only narrow it down to a two month assembly period of which only a small percentage were affected
4) Are you waiting until a customer calls with a problem, or have you implemented a proactive recall/replacement campaign for isolated production run?

As the problem only manifests itself under certain conditions that are variable it is not practical to implement a recall. We are talking about a less than one percent failure rate at this time.

5) What have you implemented in your process to ensure this can not happen again?
Reducing the tolerance (variation) on all future production from the HAAS as well as the variables on the checking fixture. "We have implemented a two stage inspection process on all future production (Immediately after machining (stage 1 ) and immediately after rumbling (stage2) . This is the first occurrence of this type of problem in over 25 years of production."

6) Is the the procedure documented
Yes. Our ISO 9001:2008 quality accreditation requires documentation as such
________________________________________ _________________
Guys these few sets are in the field and we have quickly identified them and replaced.

All new sales have no such problem/issue. We apolgize for the inconvienience, its unfortunate, but as mentioned by our QA manager it is the first occurrence of this type of problem in over 25 years of rocker production.

Hope this puts you in the picture. If you have any further questions email me directly at jim@yellaterra.com.au....If you come across other guys in other LS forums that you subscibe to, who have concerns or issues ....pass on my details

Tks guys

Jim
Yella Terra

Last edited by ckpitt55; 04-03-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:33 PM
Super Hulk Smash

They still are not rated for more than like 410lbs of open spring pressure from what I recall.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:54 PM
TECH Resident

source?

Quick Reply: Finally pulling the trigger on parts!