Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4 rod direction

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 06:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LQ4 rod direction

I bought a LQ4 that was disassembled. After machining and getting new piston/rings I am at the stage to put the pistons in. The rods are marked but I'm not sure which direction they are to face. Each rod has a "dimple" on one side along with numbers on one side.

I have the LQ4/LQ9 manual and they have an exploded view of the orientation but my rods don't look like the ones they show. I believe they are showing the old style rods.

From different build pics I've come to this conclusion: the numbers on the drivers side rods face the rear. The numbers on the passenger side rods face the front.

Any help?
Old 02-17-2013, 08:08 PM
10 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dimple forward
Old 02-17-2013, 08:21 PM
Teching In

Thanks.
See ur from Whiteville nc. Got family out there. You know either Monds or Ward?
Old 02-17-2013, 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heres a sure way to tell. If you look very closely at the rod end very carefuly one side is slightly dofferent and angled more. The flatter side should face IN towards the other rod, so that both flat sides face each other and the chamferd side faces the crank
Old 02-17-2013, 09:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 67SS509
dimple forward
I found this pic on this site. It contradicts the statement of dimples forward. I'll have to check out the machined sides.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...lq9-crank.html

Old 02-18-2013, 08:07 PM
10 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes I jump in gear before I completely think. Guess I was thinking dots on piston tops but that doesn't answer your question. The best way to make sure you get it right is to look close at the big end of the rods. One side has a bigger bevel than the other side. That bigger bevel faces towards the crank radius at each end of the journal. The smaller bevel faces towards the middle of the journal and the other rod. Also, if you are using H series bearings watch for the upper and lower bearing halves because they matchup to that bigger bevel.

There are a lot of Wards in and around Whiteville. I'm good friends with a lot of them.

Quick Reply: LQ4 rod direction