Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition switch issue?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 04:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ignition switch issue?

So im having an issue with my ignition/starter...... It starts fine everytime, however after its started the starter is not dis-engaging from the fly wheel you can hear it clanking off of the fly wheel. sometimes it will dis-engage ofter a few moments and sometimes i have to keep turning the car on and off before it dis-engages. Also sometimes i try to turn the key off and the key gets to the off position but the car sounds like its still trying to start even though its in the off position, then it finally shuts off....sometimes it starts up fine and the starter does not stick to the fly wheel... The starter is brand new and i also tried shimming it, but it still is acting up......... It has the be a bad ignition switch right??

Have video but photo bucket keeps saying video not found even though it uploaded to my photobucket library

Last edited by chevyrunner; 02-19-2013 at 04:24 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

bumpppp
Old 02-19-2013, 03:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just to be sure, you're saying that AFTER the problem started, that you bought a new starter?
Do both the old & new starter have the same part number?
Yes, if you have the same symptoms, after the starter was replaced, I would look at the ignition switch.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gMAG
Just to be sure, you're saying that AFTER the problem started, that you bought a new starter?
Do both the old & new starter have the same part number?
Yes, if you have the same symptoms, after the starter was replaced, I would look at the ignition switch.
no the problem started after i bought the new starter not before.... the original starter was the stock one that came with the car the one in there now is the autozone oem starter.

the car starts fine everytime, its not having an issue starting its just having an issue after its started. the starter stays engaged to the flex plate for a few moments and then sometimes when i turn the key to the off position the car sounds like the starter is still trying to start the car even though the key has been turned to the off position... it only sounds like that for a split second before it cuts off as it should......

another thing i noticed is when the car is turned on and the starter is hitting the flex plate the battery voltage is a little to the left of the middle and then when it stops hitting the flexplate the battery gets more power and goes to the right of the middle on the voltage gauge.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:17 PM
Banned

Get it out of there before big damage acurs. I'll bet it not shimmed properly so you don;'t hase enough lash between the starter gear and flywheel. When trhey recondition a starter its housing dimensions change from bead blasting etc.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TransAmBlue
Get it out of there before big damage acurs. I'll bet it not shimmed properly so you don;'t hase enough lash between the starter gear and flywheel.
it is shimmed properly, its either the switch or the solenoid, i need help figuring out which one it is... anyone????
Old 02-19-2013, 04:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by chevyrunner
it is shimmed properly, its either the switch or the solenoid, i need help figuring out which one it is... anyone????
If you think its the starter pull it out and bench test it. You could check the return spring and yoke etc.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:28 PM
On The Tree

the starter is basically brand new i think its the switch.. but im not skilled enough nor do i have to space or equipment to take the starter out myself.... trying to get an answer before i get raped by a shop for trying to diagnose it
Old 02-20-2013, 01:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In my mind, the Bendix/relay in the starter is defective.
Did you install this?
I'd get a replacement from AutoZone & replace it.

Quick Reply: Ignition switch issue?