Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ms4???

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 04:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ms4???

I want to do a heads cam set up here in the near future and am trying to come up with the best combo.. i have been researching and reading and reading some more with a little bit more reading haha but for some reason i am set on an ms4 cam set up cause Im trying to be as fast as i can all motor and was trying to get some opinions on this set up.. my goal is the fastest quarter mile i can possibly get and im going to be daily driving it but not in snow or rain only on beautiful days where i can have the t-tops off.. i don't mind drive-ability too much cause i like paying for gas and staying in high rpms... anyways..... Im thinking ms4 cam with PRC 215cc heads (since TSP set record for the quarter mile) maybe a better intake and 4:10 gears..prob a ford 9in with drag tires.. i already have all mods listed in my sig and of course i will be doing all other mods that go with it such as timing chain oil pump ect ect.. im only gunna spin it up to 6500 rpms at the most..my goal is to hit 500hp and..... (if i need it) a 50 shot of nos to get me to 550hp and max out my stock bottom end ls1 Im trying to be as fast as i can all motor maybe a shot of nos if i lose a race haha any opinions, suggestions, experiences, facts or anything you guys can give me would be awesome
Old 02-19-2013, 06:21 PM
On The Tree

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/732392-recipe-500-rwhp-heads-cam.html

this thread helps a lot, that may to big a cam read camshaft selection then go pick your cam, because its vital hitting 500rwhp. your gonna need some high compression for that 500 mark probably north of 11:1.

i am on that quest as well. here is my thread

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ggestions.html

remember every bit counts, and its expensive. im probably going to go with some AFR heads, i have yet to year from Tony Mamo.....(looking at tony, i know he's a busy guy)

good luck!!
Old 02-19-2013, 08:26 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You definitely have a good idea in mind if you don't mind a max effort setup. I would suggest the MS4 matched up with our PRC 227s instead of the PRC 215s as they are better in every aspect for what your trying to achieve. Feel free to give us a call or send us a message and we will be happy to go over some ideas with you or answer any questions you might have.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mcr10182
I want to do a heads cam set up here in the near future and am trying to come up with the best combo.. i have been researching and reading and reading some more with a little bit more reading haha but for some reason i am set on an ms4 cam set up cause Im trying to be as fast as i can all motor and was trying to get some opinions on this set up.. my goal is the fastest quarter mile i can possibly get and im going to be daily driving it but not in snow or rain only on beautiful days where i can have the t-tops off.. i don't mind drive-ability too much cause i like paying for gas and staying in high rpms... anyways..... Im thinking ms4 cam with PRC 215cc heads (since TSP set record for the quarter mile) maybe a better intake and 4:10 gears..prob a ford 9in with drag tires.. i already have all mods listed in my sig and of course i will be doing all other mods that go with it such as timing chain oil pump ect ect.. im only gunna spin it up to 6500 rpms at the most..my goal is to hit 500hp and..... (if i need it) a 50 shot of nos to get me to 550hp and max out my stock bottom end ls1 Im trying to be as fast as i can all motor maybe a shot of nos if i lose a race haha any opinions, suggestions, experiences, facts or anything you guys can give me would be awesome

are you running a stock bottom end, pistons?

Last edited by zzcamaro00; 02-20-2013 at 08:59 AM. Reason: cause i felt like it
Old 02-20-2013, 09:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by zzcamaro00
are you running a stock bottom end, pistons?
yeah the whole bottom end is stock..
Old 02-20-2013, 12:46 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Fast all motor with an all out cam requires max everything. Max compression, 4.10+ rearend, big headers, ported FAST, high flow heads and lots of RPM. All at the expense of drivability.

If you went with a milder cam, you could make more average power over a broader, more usable RPM band and be faster without having to sink a ton of money into the car.

Something like the Tick SNS2 227/234 110+3 with PRC Stage 1 LS6 heads would make a very stout combo.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
Fast all motor with an all out cam requires max everything. Max compression, 4.10+ rearend, big headers, ported FAST, high flow heads and lots of RPM. All at the expense of drivability.

If you went with a milder cam, you could make more average power over a broader, more usable RPM band and be faster without having to sink a ton of money into the car.

Something like the Tick SNS2 227/234 110+3 with PRC Stage 1 LS6 heads would make a very stout combo.
so you think i will be faster with this combo spending less money than i will with my first combo spending lots of money??
Old 02-20-2013, 01:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mcr10182
so you think i will be faster with this combo spending less money than i will with my first combo spending lots of money??
No Way!!! Take advice only from those who have done it.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, if you want big power, go big cubes. I wouldn't want to sacrifice the comfort of driving it on the street for a strip bruiser. When you MAX out, race for a small cube engine, streetability sucks.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mel88643
No Way!!! Take advice only from those who have done it.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I would do the PRC 227s better now and it'll leave you some room to grow. I have the 215s and trapped 122 in 3k-5k feet in a full weight car M6 car with no ram air.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
Man, if you want big power, go big cubes. I wouldn't want to sacrifice the comfort of driving it on the street for a strip bruiser. When you MAX out, race for a small cube engine, streetability sucks.
so should i build my bottom end first to a 383? or start with a diff block? and forget the idea of building my top end
Old 02-20-2013, 02:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by VandykeT/A
I would do the PRC 227s better now and it'll leave you some room to grow. I have the 215s and trapped 122 in 3k-5k feet in a full weight car M6 car with no ram air.
so thats like 12.5sec 1/4 mile? and you mean at 3-5k ft above sea level??
Old 02-20-2013, 03:13 PM
10 Second Club

If you truely don't mind the loss of driveability theres nothing wrong with building your top end now. Then when the stock bottom gives transfer your heads/cam over to the bigger engine. Going with a 227 will give you room to grow when you go bigger. My MS4 drives good IMO, nothing like stock but not bad enough that I want to kill myself. Other than bumper to bumper traffic I don't see anything wrong with it at all but people are different. You don't have killer torque below 3k but at 4k to 6800 it pulls extremely hard. My advice is to find someone with a big cammed car similar to what your going for and see if you could stand it everyday before go through with it. I love my car but I wouldn't want to drive it daily.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been looking at all of this myself. I have decided to do a ls3 swap instead of the head cam intake route. reason being. I can buy a used ls3 for less. make 430ish with bolt ons and have a better curve etc and much better platform to start with. cam and fast 102 would be knocking on 500 with no real strain on the motor.

unlike a highstrung ls1 on a 12+ year old bottom end and peaky in comparison power band.

for the money invested a ls3 or better swap is suggested. just my .02
Old 02-20-2013, 03:24 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

No, you aren't going to be faster in the more budget oriented build than the more money one. But if you have a budget, an I implore you to set a budget and stick to it, you'll see that to get the most out of a big cam, you need to spend more.

And if you spend pretty much the same, guess what. You end up with more peak HP and a slower car with the big cam vs a cam designed for power under the curve.

As s346k said, peaky HP on an old bottom end is one way to skin a cat but there are other, better ways.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:30 PM
10 Second Club

Yea 3k-5k above sea level. And the car went 11.66 @ 120 with a few broken valve springs. I fixed the valve spring and got to make 1 pass. It trapped 122 and went 11.70 with a 1.89 60ft. Honestly though S346K has a point. Buy an LS3 and sell your LS1 for some of the money back. Some LS3 Vettes are breaking 500rwhp cam only. Finding a low mileage LS3 would cut some of the maintenance out to. Not having to replace 100k mile lifters, timing set, oil pump, no need for pulling the heads. It'd definately be something to consider.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by VandykeT/A
If you truely don't mind the loss of driveability theres nothing wrong with building your top end now. Then when the stock bottom gives transfer your heads/cam over to the bigger engine. Going with a 227 will give you room to grow when you go bigger. My MS4 drives good IMO, nothing like stock but not bad enough that I want to kill myself. Other than bumper to bumper traffic I don't see anything wrong with it at all but people are different. You don't have killer torque below 3k but at 4k to 6800 it pulls extremely hard. My advice is to find someone with a big cammed car similar to what your going for and see if you could stand it everyday before go through with it. I love my car but I wouldn't want to drive it daily.
do you have gears?
Old 02-20-2013, 04:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
No, you aren't going to be faster in the more budget oriented build than the more money one. But if you have a budget, an I implore you to set a budget and stick to it, you'll see that to get the most out of a big cam, you need to spend more.

And if you spend pretty much the same, guess what. You end up with more peak HP and a slower car with the big cam vs a cam designed for power under the curve.

As s346k said, peaky HP on an old bottom end is one way to skin a cat but there are other, better ways.
if im going to do any build i am going to research make sure i can do it and do it right the first time..
Old 02-20-2013, 04:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by s346k
I have been looking at all of this myself. I have decided to do a ls3 swap instead of the head cam intake route. reason being. I can buy a used ls3 for less. make 430ish with bolt ons and have a better curve etc and much better platform to start with. cam and fast 102 would be knocking on 500 with no real strain on the motor.

unlike a highstrung ls1 on a 12+ year old bottom end and peaky in comparison power band.

for the money invested a ls3 or better swap is suggested. just my .02
i like it.. makes complete sense.. sounds much easier too.. sont know much about the ls3's tho would have to do lots of research on those, such as max hp limits.. cause i see lots of people going with an lq9 is ls3 better than lq9?

Quick Reply: Ms4???