Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam and milling

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 02:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam and milling

Hi Guys... I have spent days of searching without a a distinct answer and I know this is very similar to a recent post but im looking for a definitive answer in my situation.

Im wondering how much I can mill off of some 243's before having to flycut and stay safe with no PTV issues (hypothetically, I know measuring is absolute way of knowing). Im going to be running a TSP Torquer V2 cam 112 LSA 232/234 .595"/.598"????

I want to hit about the 11:1 compression ratio if possible without fly cutting and keep PTV safe. .080 and bigger I believe is safe.

How about using a different head gasket and increasing quench to hit the 11:1?? Thoughts??

My apologies if this is repetitive but ive searched all over with nothing absolute to my situation.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you answered your question, you NEED TO MEASURE.

Take someone elses "word" for it and youre gonna have 16 busted valves.

Also, I doubt youre gonna make it to 11:1
Old 02-20-2013, 03:00 PM
Staging Lane

I would measure and double check before anything but Im asking for the sake of can it be done... If it ends up 10.94:1 im ok with that just trying to get a little more than the 10.5:1 (rounded) that the 243's will give me. If it just cant be done without fly cutting im not going to waste anymore of time researching this. So if someone else has done it without fly cutting and been safe was hoping they could chime in or if everyone agrees that there is no way to do it safely without flycutting then I got my answer either way and will move on. ??????????
Old 02-20-2013, 03:28 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Stock valves? You can mil to 60cc with a Cometic .040" with that cam and be fine. You have a lot of freedrop on an LS6 with stock valves. That'd put your compression at 11.6:1 which is better for that cam...
Old 02-20-2013, 04:17 PM
Staging Lane

Stock valves in the heads. It is an LS1 block that im putting the heads on but I dont think there are any differences between the two blocks in that respect.

That sounds good to me if I can go with that thickness gasket and mill that much... Does anyone else agree that it sounds safe?????? If I remember right from reading posts .080+ is safe clearance for PTV.

Also what is everyones views on gaskets... Ive read some people have horrible luck with some brands and recommend just going GM gaskets as they hold up the best. Everyone had good luck with the Cometic MLS gaskets?

Quick Reply: Cam and milling