Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camshaft Questions

Old 03-02-2013, 08:26 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Camshaft Questions

Whats up guys, I'm looking to cam my 01 z28 in the near future and am completely oblivious to my options and what each cam will do. Basically I want my car to run at least 400 rwhp but still maintain a fair amount of gas mileage. That being said, as of right now I have 358rwhp/372tq and am getting 19.6 mpg average I would like to keep that (mpg) fairly high since I have a 40 mile commute to college.

A few of my questions are:

What cam would you recommend for me?
If you have one, how much did you pay to get it done (I am not comfortable replacing mine all by myself and messing up my engine)
What do I need overall?
a. I have all stock internal engine parts atm

Thank you in advance for any responses

Current Mods:
1 3/4" Kooks LT Headers
3" ORY
3" Borla Catback
Free Ram Air Mod
SLP Cold air induction
SLP Lid
93 Octane Dyno Tune
Old 03-02-2013, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you have an M6 or A4?
Old 03-02-2013, 08:53 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by poltergeist 02
do you have an M6 or A4?
M6 man!
Old 03-02-2013, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok, I was just making sure you didn't need a stall converter also. If it were my car I would run a FTI streetsweeper HT 228/232 612/600 cam, dual valve springs, ti retainers, hardened locks, 1pc. pushrods, ls2 style timing chain, and a ported ls6 oil pump.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:32 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by poltergeist 02
ok, I was just making sure you didn't need a stall converter also. If it were my car I would run a FTI streetsweeper HT 228/232 612/600 cam, dual valve springs, ti retainers, hardened locks, 1pc. pushrods, ls2 style timing chain, and a ported ls6 oil pump.
Okay haha, guesstimating, how much am I looking at spending with all of that?
Old 03-02-2013, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

For your typical cam package...I know Tick performance has the best deal on this.....It's just under 900$ some packages are gonna be just over.. It includes everything that you NEED for the swap. Cam..valve springs...pushrods...timing chain...oil pump..gaskets......Those you need.. You can upgrade the rockers..lifters.ect..that starts to play into budget...
I'd suggest reading the cam stickys to get all the basic knowledge you can and search for "dd cams" and kinda go from their...Theirs gonna be alot of different opions and options that will just confuse you...
When I finialized my cam....I talked to Martin@Tick performance,(sponser-->) he speced out my cam for my needs and future wants. Hes all over this website comparably to other sponsers and will help you alot.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:25 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by justin hover
For your typical cam package...I know Tick performance has the best deal on this.....It's just under 900$ some packages are gonna be just over.. It includes everything that you NEED for the swap. Cam..valve springs...pushrods...timing chain...oil pump..gaskets......Those you need.. You can upgrade the rockers..lifters.ect..that starts to play into budget...
I'd suggest reading the cam stickys to get all the basic knowledge you can and search for "dd cams" and kinda go from their...Theirs gonna be alot of different opions and options that will just confuse you...
When I finialized my cam....I talked to Martin@Tick performance,(sponser-->) he speced out my cam for my needs and future wants. Hes all over this website comparably to other sponsers and will help you alot.
Awesome man! Thanks a lot! Are the tick performance cams good quality? I'd rather spend money now for the cam than have a cheapo one (even though $900 is still a good amount)
Old 03-02-2013, 12:17 PM
12 Second Club

Ticks cams are cut by comp cams. I ordered mine on a monday morning and had it friday, can't beat getting a new cam in 5 days. You should definitely give Martin a call and he can set you with a awesome cam.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ance.html...He has a line of street heat cams and sns cams. Give him a call man. Hes easy to talk to...He has alot of post throughout the internal engine section just helping guys out. I just got his sns stage 3 for my setup. Lots of positive referals in regards to Martin with his kick *** customer service. For some reason the link didn't work on mine so I just brought to the top

Last edited by justin hover; 03-02-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:45 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

We regularly make 400rwhp plus with our smaller more mpg friendly cams and 6 speeds. A lot of your total mpg loss and power gain will depend on the dyno you're on and tuner. Our Saturday Night Special line of "TorqueMAX" cams are very popular and perform very strongly throughout the rpm range and not just up top, down low or in the midrange rpm areas.

We use the highest quality valve train components with our cam packages and because we sell so many packages we can offer them at a lower price than our competition.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Camshaft Questions