Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need reliable 330 WHP I can move up to 470 later...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 11:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need reliable 330 WHP I can move up to 470 later...

It has been a very long day so if anything is amiss here I apologize for it.

I would have to run a restrictor, different cam, etc...but trying to sort out a rules situation, get my car accepted into ST2, TT2 but have some some mods I cannot change that might push me into ST1, TT1 in NASA. I am building the car for HPDE and TT but may run W2W eventually.

I am putting an LS into my 95 M3 track car, if in ST2 I would only need 330 WHP and add more weight. I am working on both ideas until I get a response from them but have to finish up a few more things before I can send them pics.

This is for an ST2 but if I have to or just want to later run STI(TT2) I will need 470 WHP at the current weight the car will run at or even more and add some weight as often that is faster in a power to weight ratio class, 250 lbs of ballast is allowed.

I will posted a mirror of this on the LS2....forum for the higher power build as well but if possibly want to stay with the larger bore, run a restricter, etc so I can just tweak up the engine if I decide later to run more power, ST1 class, etc....

BUT, if an LS1, which I know can be increased in displacement for a reasonable cost, is a better way to do this than start with an LS2 block....

Normally I would have the funds to just have built whatever I need but chose to retire myself earlier than planned, my new partner and business manager will take care of me and as the business grows, funds will be a bit easier to come buy.

I have been looking for a good low mileage LS2 but not that many around, far more LS1 long blocks or complete engines but most have very high miles on them.

I looked at the hot came LS3 crate engine but some parts not needed, wrong heads.....

Drivetrain will be very efficient. I have a mid size diff with OS Giken LSD, solid everything, tubular suspension, all monoball, 3-way custom Ohlins, 5.5 clutch, aluminum drive shaft will be used....not much loss in the delivery.

Looking at built T56, TKO 600 and dog boxes(would have to regear for a dog box)

And, I want to run on pump gas instead of race fuel, I want it all eh!

LS3, L92, those heads have serious road course oiling issues from many things I have read. LS2, LS6, not so, seems GMPP ported LS6 heads might do well for the cost. I am pretty sure I can make this work with the right heads, lifter, etc, mods for oiling and I have a complete Accusump setup from my old LS6 race Vette.

I do not need any frills, any exotic parts to brag about, billet this and that, just what works and will last decently.

Budget range, $5-6k for a complete engine minus tune but can go a bit higher if I must. I will not be running the snot out of it every lap of the events, I will use it a lot but will be running different tracks all over I have never been on and not trying to win any races(well, I am very competitive, do not like being passed, love passing, too much fun

I can put an engine together but certainly not a master at it, I would do my research, etc if I did so. I can do simple porting, the kind you get some decent gains without the experience to do very in depth get all you can out of it effort, I am not that well versed in it.

A list of parts would help, I can dig around and find deals in good used, new but unused, etc....I have bought and sold at least $150k in parts over the last 4 years and mostly done very well at it.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Your constructive negative views as well.

Tell me to go pack sand if you will, I am OK with that as well.

Thanks, have a great new week!
Rick
801-829-4997
Old 03-10-2013, 11:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Given most ls2 cars stock dyno about 330-350rwhp you wont need anything. For an ls1 intake exhaust and a tune will put you there or more.

Id recommend the trunion upgrade on any of them along with better pushrods
Old 03-10-2013, 11:41 PM
Teching In

Cool, I will have a few things not mentioned, long tube headers, properly built exhaust, very very little loss as solid engine and trans mounts.....why I thought I might have to detune an LS2 a bit.

I am just trying to sort out which is the best way to start out, LS1 and build it up later sooner if I have to or just get an LS2 and go from there.

Trunion Upgrade, new one on me, I will search for that right now.

Thanks
Rick
Old 03-11-2013, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

Hey Rick I'm right in the middle of my American Iron engine build. Was looking to build for ST2 but the F-Body cars just can't hang with the vette's of Bimmers as far as brakes and suspension. So I've dropped down to AI. That being said for my current weight I'm looking at around 350 at the wheels. So not far off from your goals. 330 at the wheels with an LS1/6 is very easy. Most LS1 cars with "full bolt ons" and a tune end up around 330. However with the 241 heads on the LS1 motors you'll be lacking the air flow later on to make it to ST1 power levels. There by you'd be replacing heads later and most certainly a new cam. Even the better 243 heads are going to leave you wishing for more when trying for 470whp.

TO give you an idea my buddy just made 400 whp with self ported heads and a custom cam on top of my 120k mile LS1 bottom end. My motor, before it blew, made 380whp with a single plane intake and a 780 carb on top of a stock LS6 bottom end. If you're dead set on jumping up to ST1 later on then I would do my best to get the bigger cubed motor to work. Leaving more room for growth later on. An LS2 will make 470 easier than an LS1/6 later down the road.

Why are you thinking of the jump up in class? Just cause they force you or thats truly where you want to end up? Have they introduced the new ST3 class in your region yet?

You could buy a built short block of just about any size and try to choke it down to 330 as well. Get a 383 or 408 ci block, LS1 heads and intake are cheap and would get you to 330 no problem add ballast if need be. Later on do a heads, cam and intake swap and be close to your 470whp goal.

Quick Reply: Need reliable 330 WHP I can move up to 470 later...