Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mild/aggressive cam help

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 01:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mild/aggressive cam help

I want an agreesive cam for a street car. It's a summer toy that I will take to the drag strip once or twice. Below are current mods that will not change much.

01' Z28 A4
Yank 4K stall
LT's, Y-pipe, cat back, no cats
3.42 gear
LS6 intake/ported tb, SLP lid.

I am actually going a little above on the cam swap, pulling the motor, replacing lifters (Think I have one going bad, 113K miles), rod bolts, Oil pump, timing chain.

I want to stay with my stock 28lb injectors.

I always liked the (Revers split) TR230 230/224 .575/.563 111*
other that I'm considering, SI5 231/237 .589/.595 112* or the TR230/236 230/236 .592/.602 112.

Which one is best for my mods?

I don't want to rev it to the moon to make power, I want to be able to knock some dicks off from a stop light as well. I want to be able to feel the power right from the get-go and keep pulling until the shift.

I have heard them all on youtube and like them all equally.

Any input? real world experience is welcome.

Again, this has to have great street manners, make power, and sound good. I want my cake and eat it to.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For starters those 28lb injectors need to go. General rule of thumb is you dont run your injectors past 80% duty cycle.

Secondly, if you only go to the track several times than a big donkey dick cam aint the way to go. It will get walked on by people with smaller cams that have much better avg power rather than peak hp at 6800+rpms

Edit ** im wrong with the reverse split**

I had a 228R and it is considered a smaller/milder cam. It was great on the street, didnt have shitty manners and still put down the power. Now you can go larger and still have a good street car. It just depends on what you want and what you can tolerate.

Last edited by Tainted; 03-12-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Tainted
For starters those 28lb injectors need to go. General rule of thumb is you dont run your injectors past 80% duty cycle.

Secondly, if you only go to the track several times than a big donkey dick cam aint the way to go. It will get walked on by people with smaller cams that have much better avg power rather than peak hp at 6800+rpms

The reverse split would be ok if you got stock exhaust, otherwise thats not the way to go.

I had a 228R and it is considered a smaller/milder cam. It was great on the street, didnt have shitty manners and still put down the power. Now you can go larger and still have a good street car. It just depends on what you want and what you can tolerate.
Actually its quite the opposite. RS cams like TR230 like very free exhaust.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Actually its quite the opposite. RS cams like TR230 like very free exhaust.
My bad I stand corrected. That always confuses the hell out of me, seems like when the exhaust duration is less than the intake that would favor a restrictive exhaust
Old 03-12-2013, 02:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EPS 230/234 112-113lsa gets my vote. Great overall street/strip cam that makes awesome power over the entire RPM range.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:14 PM
TECH Regular

So each of the cams listed will have over 80% duty cycle? Have you had experience?

Mid to low 230's are "donkey dick" cams? Interesting. I guess the played out term "donkey dick" is a relative term.

Check

I can tolerate enough, this isn't my first rodeo with a sports car with a little nut, I just want an agressive street cam like stated. I have a 4K converter, so my RPM's are going to be higher when I hit it. I don't have to make alot of power under 2.5K, just enough to drive it like I normally do when not getting on it. I want a cam that has alot of power between 3K and 6.5K. at least alot more power than I have now.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:19 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by *02WS6TURK*
EPS 230/234 112-113lsa gets my vote. Great overall street/strip cam that makes awesome power over the entire RPM range.
I did think about the EPS cams, I really did. I like how they are easier on your valve train. And the 230/234 is right where I'm looking for. But why are they priced so high? We can get a custom ground comp cams for $360 shipped to our door, EPS cams are over $80 more.

I would need to have a good explaination why it's worth the extra money to go that route over the rest.

Anyone have any track times with the EPS stated above on a cam-only bolt-on car? Dyno charts?
Old 03-12-2013, 04:27 PM
Launching!

t-rex.....done
Old 03-12-2013, 04:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ybaslo1

So each of the cams listed will have over 80% duty cycle? Have you had experience?

Yes, actually I do ive had multiple h/c lsx cars, and any sponsor here will tell you thats a good rule to go by. Have people gone past that? **** yea, but its not recommended depending on what you gow ith and your hp/rpm you may be beyond that number. my 228R maxed out stock injectors

Mid to low 230's are "donkey dick" cams? Interesting. I guess the played out term "donkey dick" is a relative term.

No, nor did I saya 230s cam is a donkey dick cam. maybe it was unclear, but when you said aggressive that generally entails a large cam (high 230's - 240's)

Check

I can tolerate enough, this isn't my first rodeo with a sports car with a little nut, I just want an agressive street cam like stated. I have a 4K converter, so my RPM's are going to be higher when I hit it. I don't have to make alot of power under 2.5K, just enough to drive it like I normally do when not getting on it. I want a cam that has alot of power between 3K and 6.5K. at least alot more power than I have now.

If you are willing to put up with that then I'd suggest EPS cams like suggested earlier, Texas speed, livernois, Martin @ Tick has some great cams now too.
replies are in the quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

DO NOT ORDER FROM THUNDER RACING, search the sponsor feedback section here for a good list of reasons why. They are not even sponsors anymore.

My advice? Call Geoff at EPS who used to work for Thunder Racing and even designed the TR230 and let him set you up. He is more than willing to spec you a cam for your needs and get the order in for you.

If you don't track it, something high 220s intake and low-mid 230s exhaust would probably work well.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:04 PM
On The Tree

Gotta love some of the advise on these forums.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would run atleast a TSP torquer 2 232/234. Good all around size fir a DD, street car.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:51 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
DO NOT ORDER FROM THUNDER RACING, search the sponsor feedback section here for a good list of reasons why. They are not even sponsors anymore.

My advice? Call Geoff at EPS who used to work for Thunder Racing and even designed the TR230 and let him set you up. He is more than willing to spec you a cam for your needs and get the order in for you.

If you don't track it, something high 220s intake and low-mid 230s exhaust would probably work well.
I assume they get a bad rap due to the situation. Actually, Geoff used to own Thunder Racing. A situation happened now he no longer owns it, he runs Engine Power Systems instead. I have heard of alot of good stories from Thunder racing as well. I am not going to bad mouth any company on hear say, if they have a good product that I want, I will buy it.

Thanks for the response, I think your numbers are right in line with what I'm going for.

Anyone have any reason I shouldn't go with a reverse split, other than what was already mentioned?
Old 03-12-2013, 07:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
I would run atleast a TSP torquer 2 232/234. Good all around size fir a DD, street car.
After pulling up the specs, that cam does sound good. I'm going to research it a little more and pull up some yourtube clips.

Thanks.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Transam1
t-rex.....done
+1. Seems like you are hung up on the donkey dick cams, go with this one. Your car will move out well at the track but feel like a turd on the street. If you are dead set on sticking with 28# injectors, make sure you are dead set on picking up another motor while you are at it.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pat-G put a baby EPS cam in a ls6 crate motor ,it made 430 rwhp .the car runs 11.20 in Texas.be careful changing your rod bolts.do it 1 bolt at a time .get new gm bolts ,or take a chance with Kaltech bolts.seen engines making 410 rwhp with stock injectors.the TSP torquer 3 will make a little more power ,but needs better springs.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:27 PM
12 Second Club

I would need to have a good explaination why it's worth the extra money to go that route over the rest.

Anyone have any track times with the EPS stated above on a cam-only bolt-on car? Dyno charts?
Search the many threads on the EPS cams and dyno graphs/results. That there will give you every explanation why. You get what you pay for. Like mentioned, even the baby EPS cams produce amazing results. I picked up almost 50rwh with mine through a M6 while I was still running the LS6 intake. It's a torque monster as well.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:33 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1T56FTW
+1. Seems like you are hung up on the donkey dick cams, go with this one. Your car will move out well at the track but feel like a turd on the street. If you are dead set on sticking with 28# injectors, make sure you are dead set on picking up another motor while you are at it.
Yes, because a TR230 and a TREX are almost identical. WTF?
Old 03-12-2013, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Check out Martins cams @ tick performance. Street heat and sns torquemax cams for ls1s. I have just about the exact mods you have and went with his sns stage 3. Specs in Sig. With a 4000 stall your gonna be reving on the higher side no matter what. 3000+ to really start hauling. So don't get a cam with to much power under the curve... you essentially won't be able to benefit from it. Match that converter wisely. I was little lost on this, I had to call Martin.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

After pulling up the specs, that cam does sound good. I'm going to research it a little more and pull up some yourtube clips.

Thanks.
Comp Cams #54-446-11, exact same lobes and duration as the Trq V2, for less.
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...-xe-r-232-234/

Quick Reply: Mild/aggressive cam help