Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 CTS-V Lost a Rocker Arm And Oil Pressure - Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 09:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LS6 CTS-V Lost a Rocker Arm And Oil Pressure - Need Advice

So this will be a somewhat long explanation to cover it all, but skip to the bottom for the main questions. Truly appreciate all opinions.

My 05 LS6 CTS-V, stock aside from magnaflow catback, 90k miles. Runs like a dream. Couple weeks ago I drive home, do some things, come back out and start the car (already warm) and my dash starts flashing no oil pressure. Odd so I shut it off, start it again and after about 5 seconds it gets pressure and all is well. I read a sending unit is common so I don't worry about it, but constantly keep an eye on the pressure and its never been an issue since.

Over the last couple days I've started to notice a light tick, sounds like a top end noise, nothing over the top. Last night I noticed it more than before and started to worry a bit, but again nothing crazy loud at all.

This morning same noise, so I call a buddy with a shop and say I'll bring the car over and have it looked at (I've built tons of engines but getting old enough to appreciate not having to do the work myself, and how nice a lift is). On the way over I clearly keep the RPM's low, watch the oil pressure the whole time, never once an issue (8 mile drive max). Halfway there the "tick" gets VERY loud out of nowhere, then goes back to quiet again after a few seconds, honestly sounded like a lot of play in a rocker/valve/pushrod etc. Car ran perfectly. Pulling into the parking lot it again gets very loud again and I shut it off. Then have my buddy come out, fire it up to listen to it, again very loud upper end noise, and this time I get the oil pressure warning again. Shut it off again.

I assumed it was the sending unit, and still just a rocker etc, I leave and they hook up a mechanical gauge and get no pressure. So clearly an oil issue now. Noise sounded like it was passenger side so pulled the valve cover and all looks well. Pulled the drain plug and 5 pretty good chunks of needle bearings from a rocker, at this point I assume its the driver side bank. One chunk of pretty good sized iron, again I assume the rocker broke and we will find that once the other valve cover is off. Oil certainly has some sparkle to it, nothing over the top but its there for sure. I'll cut the oil filter soon and see what it looks like for a better idea.

That all being said, I'm left with a few ideas, and VERY welcome to others. Keep in mind to my knowledge the motor has run well under a minute with no oil pressure, realistically 30 seconds max.

1) If the oil filter isn't looking horrible (basically if I believe the metal is parts of a broken rocker arm assembly) do I just slap an oil pump on it and rocker arms and pray I'm good to go OR

Now if the oil filter looks bad:

2) Pull the engine, do an LS7 clutch/flywheel setup, Pacesetter headers, cam/valvesprings/retainers/pushrods and LS7 lifters, rocker arms, oil pump and while in the motor check out the bearings and decide at that point about them.

Clearly one is MUCH cheaper than the other, but my question is more related to what people think the bearings should look like at this point. If I have to do bearings or even a single lifter I may as well pull it out. And if I pull it out I may as well take care of lots of things I'd like to do. But are there better ideas, maybe a 6.0 bottom end, or whatever comes to mind. Just want to go about this in the smartest way possible. Not made of money but can make it happen either way. Again I'd love opinions regardless.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would fix whatever the cause of the low oil pressure was (pump?) and just run the engine the way it is.

Not sure why you would have a broken rocker arm from such a short period w/o oil though. Are you sure the oil pressure is really 0? Was the mechanical gauge hooked up right?

It just seems weird that for such a short period of no oil pressure, that you would immediately break a rocker arm.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:29 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a busted lifter. Had the same thing happen to me a couple of months ago. Also, with a broken rocker arm, you wouldn't likely get the fluctuations in oil pressure you would with a broken lifter, as the oil galleries for the lifters lead to the oil pressure sensor.

Link to my thread.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...k-lifters.html
Old 03-17-2013, 12:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got a set of comp-cams upgraded rockers and a brand new set of ls7 lifters for sale (never been run). LS2 trays are available also. Going a different direction with my build..let me know if you're interested.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ckpitt55
I've got a set of comp-cams upgraded rockers and a brand new set of ls7 lifters for sale (never been run). LS2 trays are available also. Going a different direction with my build..let me know if you're interested.
PM'ed, get back to me
Old 07-22-2014, 11:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Moon Cricket
So this will be a somewhat long explanation to cover it all, but skip to the bottom for the main questions. Truly appreciate all opinions.

My 05 LS6 CTS-V, stock aside from magnaflow catback, 90k miles. Runs like a dream. Couple weeks ago I drive home, do some things, come back out and start the car (already warm) and my dash starts flashing no oil pressure. Odd so I shut it off, start it again and after about 5 seconds it gets pressure and all is well. I read a sending unit is common so I don't worry about it, but constantly keep an eye on the pressure and its never been an issue since.

Over the last couple days I've started to notice a light tick, sounds like a top end noise, nothing over the top. Last night I noticed it more than before and started to worry a bit, but again nothing crazy loud at all.

This morning same noise, so I call a buddy with a shop and say I'll bring the car over and have it looked at (I've built tons of engines but getting old enough to appreciate not having to do the work myself, and how nice a lift is). On the way over I clearly keep the RPM's low, watch the oil pressure the whole time, never once an issue (8 mile drive max). Halfway there the "tick" gets VERY loud out of nowhere, then goes back to quiet again after a few seconds, honestly sounded like a lot of play in a rocker/valve/pushrod etc. Car ran perfectly. Pulling into the parking lot it again gets very loud again and I shut it off. Then have my buddy come out, fire it up to listen to it, again very loud upper end noise, and this time I get the oil pressure warning again. Shut it off again.

I assumed it was the sending unit, and still just a rocker etc, I leave and they hook up a mechanical gauge and get no pressure. So clearly an oil issue now. Noise sounded like it was passenger side so pulled the valve cover and all looks well. Pulled the drain plug and 5 pretty good chunks of needle bearings from a rocker, at this point I assume its the driver side bank. One chunk of pretty good sized iron, again I assume the rocker broke and we will find that once the other valve cover is off. Oil certainly has some sparkle to it, nothing over the top but its there for sure. I'll cut the oil filter soon and see what it looks like for a better idea.

That all being said, I'm left with a few ideas, and VERY welcome to others. Keep in mind to my knowledge the motor has run well under a minute with no oil pressure, realistically 30 seconds max.

1) If the oil filter isn't looking horrible (basically if I believe the metal is parts of a broken rocker arm assembly) do I just slap an oil pump on it and rocker arms and pray I'm good to go OR

Now if the oil filter looks bad:

2) Pull the engine, do an LS7 clutch/flywheel setup, Pacesetter headers, cam/valvesprings/retainers/pushrods and LS7 lifters, rocker arms, oil pump and while in the motor check out the bearings and decide at that point about them.

Clearly one is MUCH cheaper than the other, but my question is more related to what people think the bearings should look like at this point. If I have to do bearings or even a single lifter I may as well pull it out. And if I pull it out I may as well take care of lots of things I'd like to do. But are there better ideas, maybe a 6.0 bottom end, or whatever comes to mind. Just want to go about this in the smartest way possible. Not made of money but can make it happen either way. Again I'd love opinions regardless.
Did you ever get your motor fixed ? What did you do to fix this?
Old 07-22-2014, 11:23 PM
Staging Lane

Motor came out and was rebuilt, it wasn't cheap, but worth it. I've since sold the car.

Quick Reply: LS6 CTS-V Lost a Rocker Arm And Oil Pressure - Need Advice