Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSD Timing Twister for LS1

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default MSD Timing Twister for LS1

Does anyone know where the best place to buy one of these is? I'm looking for part #8625. I am told this is the one I need. Thanks
Old 03-19-2013, 12:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Not sure, but have you checked out a device called the Timing Tuner. Info can be found if you google it; I believe it's made by Full Throttle Speed. I assume you want this for nitrous purposes, correct? The Timing Tuner will pull timing and also acts as a RPM window switch.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes for nitrous. Well I already have a MSD digital window switch. The full NX kit came with the car upon purchase....all installed and ready to go. All I need is a timing retard module, and was told the #8625 was all I would need. I'll look up that Timing Tuner though, and see what that's all about. Basically I just want a way to pull timing with the flip of a switch, so I can use it on the fly as desired. Thanks!
Old 03-19-2013, 12:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Yes for nitrous. Well I already have a MSD digital window switch. The full NX kit came with the car upon purchase....all installed and ready to go. All I need is a timing retard module, and was told the #8625 was all I would need. I'll look up that Timing Tuner though, and see what that's all about. Basically I just want a way to pull timing with the flip of a switch, so I can use it on the fly as desired. Thanks!
I'm looking at getting into a nitrous setup too, so I've been doing a ton of research lately. Since you already have the RPM window switch, the MSD timing twister makes sense. Not sure what they run though. If I remember right, the Timing Tuner is right around $235.00.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

The cheapest i've found so far is $270.00. Problem is MSD no longer makes it, so only certain places still have it from what I hear. It looks like Lingenfelter makes one very similar too (same price as well) but i'm not sure if there are any differences between the two
Old 03-19-2013, 03:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, Ligenfelter makes the LNC 002 and LNC 2000. I acutally printed off the user's guide/instalation guide off Ligenfelter's website last Friday and read through it. It's a nice device and it will do what you want it to, but for me, it does not act as a RPM window switch, so it makes more sense to go with the Timing Tuner. Have you looked on the classifieds for a MSD timing twister?
Old 03-19-2013, 03:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

It's funny you ask that actually, because when I talked to MSD earlier today they said don't buy one these things used. He said a lot of them need fixing and whatnot. Don't know how true that really is, but the guy seemed to be pretty set on it. So in your case the Timing Tuner is your only option? Maybe I should do the LNC-002 since it's the same price, and I can pic one up locally as well. I just need to know if it's different in any way from the Timing Twister
Old 03-19-2013, 04:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

The LNC unit does more than the MSD Timing Twister does. Just get on Ligenfelter's website and print out the instructions/install guide. It tells you everything you need to know. I had to read over it several times and even after that, I still don't understand it all.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks! I'll do that for sure. Do you know off the top of your head what it does differently than the timing twister? If it does everything the timing twister does and a little more (for the same price) then I don't see why it wouldn't be the better choice.

Also, I wanted to get everyone's opinions on how much timing I should pull to start. I'll be taking the car to a dyno just to verify timing and a/f. I will not be buying another custom tune as of right now, since it already has one for the HCI setup. I'm looking at a 100 shot for now. Even though I probably have advanced timing due to the heads, cam, and increased compression should I still start out with the 4 degrees reduction and go from there?
Old 03-20-2013, 07:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Anyone have anymore thoughts or opinions?
Old 03-20-2013, 09:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

The LNC unit also acts as a 2 step. It allows you to pull timing, set a desired RPM that you want the nitrous to engage, but does not allow you to set a RPM for it to disengage. It also allows you to set a "rate" at which the nitrous enganges and pulls timing. It's kind of hard to explain, so that's why I suggest reading the instruction guide.

As far as pulling timing, for a 100 shot, pulling 5 degrees would be really safe. I've read of guys pulling 5 degrees with a 150 shot.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yes I did read the instruction guide, and am a bit confused as well. It shows it as a launch controller, so does that mean it only works off some kind of delay on the launch only? I'm looking for something that can be wired into my arming switch, and be used on and off whenever I choose on the fly. Know what I mean? Unless I am reading it wrong I do not see where the LNC-2000 has that ability.

Also, do you or anyone know where I can purchase the MSD Timing Twister? MSD no longer makes it, and i've called a few places that used to carry it, but they no longer have it.

Last edited by HCI2000SS; 03-20-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:19 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LNC-2000 timing retard

Any time the activation wire (orange input wire) is triggered and the engine RPM is above 1000 RPM, the timing will be retarded. You could drive the car like that with up to 15 degrees of timing taken out all the time if you wanted to.

The total amount of timing taken out is set on the LNC-2000 via the Max Retard setting.

When using time based retard control, you can adjust how fast the timing retard ramps in after it has been activated. The amount of timing it takes for the timing retard to ramp in is adjustable from 0 to 3 seconds (retard build time). With a 0 second build time it takes all of the timing out the moment the retard activation wire is triggered. You can also select if you want it to ramp the timing in each time the activation is removed (ie on each shift) or if you want it to only ramp up on the first activation and then each time you trigger the retard activation after that it goes to the full timing retard setting with no ramp rate (until you power down the unit and start again).

When using MAP sensor based timing control, you can adjust the amount of timing taken out versus boost but the maximum amount is still controlled by the main timing retard setting.

The launch control part of the description refers to the 2-step operation. The 2-step operation and the timing retard are not related (you can trigger one or the other or both).

Hope this helps clarify.

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Yes I did read the instruction guide, and am a bit confused as well. It shows it as a launch controller, so does that mean it only works off some kind of delay on the launch only? I'm looking for something that can be wired into my arming switch, and be used on and off whenever I choose on the fly. Know what I mean? Unless I am reading it wrong I do not see where the LNC-2000 has that ability.

Also, do you or anyone know where I can purchase the MSD Timing Twister? MSD no longer makes it, and i've called a few places that used to carry it, but they no longer have it.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jason Haines @ LPE
Any time the activation wire (orange input wire) is triggered and the engine RPM is above 1000 RPM, the timing will be retarded. You could drive the car like that with up to 15 degrees of timing taken out all the time if you wanted to.

The total amount of timing taken out is set on the LNC-2000 via the Max Retard setting.

When using time based retard control, you can adjust how fast the timing retard ramps in after it has been activated. The amount of timing it takes for the timing retard to ramp in is adjustable from 0 to 3 seconds (retard build time). With a 0 second build time it takes all of the timing out the moment the retard activation wire is triggered. You can also select if you want it to ramp the timing in each time the activation is removed (ie on each shift) or if you want it to only ramp up on the first activation and then each time you trigger the retard activation after that it goes to the full timing retard setting with no ramp rate (until you power down the unit and start again).

When using MAP sensor based timing control, you can adjust the amount of timing taken out versus boost but the maximum amount is still controlled by the main timing retard setting.

The launch control part of the description refers to the 2-step operation. The 2-step operation and the timing retard are not related (you can trigger one or the other or both).

Hope this helps clarify.
Thanks for your help! I have decided to go with this unit. It appears that it's the only unit out there that does what I need lol
Old 05-10-2013, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a brand new MSD timing twister for sale 175 never used if interested call txt or email me 248/420/7557 kattula90@yahoo.com

Quick Reply: MSD Timing Twister for LS1