Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads Swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 11:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heads Swap

I intended on doing a H/C swap and was going to have vengeance do it since they're closest to me. My T/A started to produce a bad ticking/rattling noise. Turned out to be an exhaust leak. I found out that one of the header bolts had broken out and the 241's had to be drilled and rethreaded. I've just decided to swap the heads (the H/C swap at vengeance is NOT in my budget right now). I'll being do the heads swap with a couple buddies but I got one question (never done any swap or anything involving the valvetrain, just bolt ons).

1. The heads came with 7.5 hardened trickflow pushrods, is it alright to put them in with the stock "components" (cam, lifteres, etc)?

Might seem like a stupid question, but please, don't bash. I'm trying to make sure I can do it right and not mess anything up. Heads I will be using are in sig.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Going to have to measure and see if they are the right length.

Absolutely nothing wrong with using a stronger construction pushrod with stock cam/lifters/rockers. The only potential snag I could see is they are likely heavier which might make valve float happen a little earlier if you were reusing stock springs but that doesn't appear to be a likely scenario and even if it were I would think there are budget solutions like maybe LS6 springs are a little better or something.

One other potential concern I see is aftermarket heads usually come with bronze guides which require aftermarket roller rockers, are yours upgraded to PM guides for use with stock rockers? If not you need to think about how to address that. It would void the trickflow warranty but you could maybe talk to the vendor about if a cam as mild as stock would be OK with stock rockers and bronze guides?????
Just throwing an idea out there to help you get this repair-mod handled.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

I bought these heads with ~1000 miles on them from a member on here. He had used stock rockers with these heads on his camaro SS. Double springs good up to .650. Like I said, I don't know much the valvetrain and have never attempted anything like this until now. All input is appreciated.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

can you tell if the guides are bronze or PM?
Old 03-20-2013, 10:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Bronze guides so I will be using 1.72 roller rockers. Also the heads were milled to 59cc. I'm concerned about any issues running the cam in my sig. The member I bought everything from said he did not have to flycut at all. Anybody point out any issues with the h/c combo?

Link for verification: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-19024-16

Last edited by AmnSF; 03-20-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Still looking for a definite answer. Stock pushrods are ~7.380-.385 (so I have gathered). Would it be acceptable to run hardened trickflow 7.5's?
Old 03-21-2013, 09:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Anybody?
Old 03-22-2013, 06:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are we talking about Trick Flow 215 heads that you have in your signature? If so, those heads "usually" require pushrods that are 7.500" long compared to the stock 7.400" pushrods. The correct answer is you should measure using an adjustable pushrod. If the cam has a slightly different base circle than the stock cam, you might need a different pushrod. Also, those heads have been milled quite a bit, so you really should measure.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You will need to measure the pushrod length given the number variables - heads, milling, lifters, rockers, etc. If you are running the cam in your signature with milled heads you should also check the piston-to-valve clearance. The tighter your budget, the fewer short cuts you can afford to take.

Quick Reply: Heads Swap